PDA

View Full Version : M-die spec's

joatmon
02-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Some ware on the net I saw spec's for the m-die mandrills but I cain't for the life of me find them! Any help?
Thanks Aaron

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Google images is an awesome way to search for stuff like that.

IE. I typed "lyman m die dimensions" into Google search, then clicked on the "images" button.
and got tons of images to sort through...this was one.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt334/80hp/PICT2407copy.jpg

Scharfschuetze
02-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Well, with nothing to do until the Novocaine from the dentist wears off, I got out my M Die stuff and took some measurements.

22 Cal = .221 and .227"
24 Cal = .241 and .246"
25 Cal = .255 and .260"
30 Cal = .306 and .312"
31 Cal = .309 and .315"
32 Cal = .320 and .324"
35 Cal = .356 and .360"

The RCBS neck expanding plugs are numbered to their actual diameter and instead of a step up to the larger diameter, the plugs have a gentle bell.

alamogunr
02-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Since I own a few M dies but have never investigated in detail, I was interested in this thread. I found the following "image" and when I clicked on it, there was a reference to an article on Bear Tooth Bullets.
(The image wouldn't post so I'm just posting the link to the article.)

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/39

I don't use M dies for handgun cartridges but have for rifle. I'm still learning about that. The question I have is in reference to the statement in the article that M die mandrels are hardened, making it easier(?) to machine from scratch. I have read of persons ordering larger mandrels and having a machine shop remachine them to custom dimensions. All this information is somewhat old so I don't even know if Lyman still sells mandrels only. Not having a lathe, a machine shop is my only recourse if I want something different.

I would hate to purchase several mandrels only to find that remachining was out of the question.

joatmon
02-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies! Scharfschuetze, I can use those numbers to great effect! The Beartooth page will also hjelp me get it right.
Thanks all' Aaron

Scharfschuetze
02-02-2017, 11:53 PM
My pleasure Joatmon.

A quick trick to save some money on M Dies is to buy a long and a short M Die body. Then just order the mandrels separately. Of course this means you have to adjust the die each time you change the calibre, but it works for me.

For anyone wanting a custom size M Die mandrel, Buckshot here at the forum can make one to your specs. He's made a few for me for odd or larger than normal bore rifles. He can also make them for the Dillon dies for their progressive presses. Dillon expanders are notoriously small for calibre being meant for jacketed bullets so Buckshot is a real help with these.

He does fine work to your specification.

WALLNUTT
02-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Have you gotten one from Buckshot lately? i didn't know if he still made them. I have some and they are 1st rate. NOE makes M die plugs that fit LEE Universal expanders that also work well.

Scharfschuetze
02-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Not lately Wallnutt, but I've seen him post recently.

Sean357
02-03-2017, 03:33 PM
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Lyman_M-Dies/Lyman_M-Die_Plugs.html

This is what I've been looking at. I believe it is also a thread somewhere here, but don't have that link.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Strtspdlx
02-03-2017, 06:36 PM
ive been considering m dies lately and to my understanding theyre to open up and uniform the case around the bullet to retain neck tension while being able to used oversized bullets such as cast. Is this correct or did I miss the point of them?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Have you gotten one from Buckshot lately? i didn't know if he still made them. I have some and they are 1st rate. NOE makes M die plugs that fit LEE Universal expanders that also work well.

Not lately Wallnutt, but I've seen him post recently.
I am reasonably sure Buckshot isn't making size dies anymore...and I suspect that means he isn't doing any type of custom machining work either?

Scharfschuetze
02-03-2017, 09:28 PM
ive been considering m dies lately and to my understanding theyre to open up and uniform the case around the bullet to retain neck tension while being able to used oversized bullets such as cast. Is this correct or did I miss the point of them?

Spot on Strtspdx. Cast bullets being a little larger than their jacketed brethren as well as softer, are best treated to a slightly larger internal diameter of the neck.

Custom bench rest rifles have chambers cut so close to the outer diameter of their round, that often loading is done without sizing or expanding at all. I can accomplish this with my K31 Swiss rifle using .311" cast bullets. Other than that one rifle though, all my cast loads are made using the M Die or the RCBS equivalent.

Andy
02-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Seans link is the one I use, was about to post it then saw he already had.