PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite pickup tires?

Idaho45guy
01-31-2017, 09:59 AM
I love tires. I should have started my own tire business since I love researching, buying, and trying out all different tread types.

My latest tires I've tried have been Coopers. Ran the ST MAXX last year and they did very well in snow, dirt, and mud. A little loud on the street, but a great looking tire...

Just before the snow hit this year, I went to a milder tread that I thought would do a little better in the snow and still work well in the mud. They are the Cooper AT3s.

They are better on the road with a very smooth and quiet ride. Decent mud and dirt performance, but snow not as good as I hoped. I actually think the ST MAXX tires did a little better...

KCSO
01-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Mine are all NO HUNTIN' brand. They are cheap... really cheap! Found everywhere.

Really just whatever the local station has in stock.

koehn,jim
01-31-2017, 10:07 AM
I use BF Goodrich ta radial all terrarion. Spelling.

ShooterAZ
01-31-2017, 10:12 AM
I like the Michelin ATX tires. They also have an ATX2 for those wanting a more aggressive tread. The regular ATX work great in the snow and last forever.

bdicki
01-31-2017, 10:33 AM
I've always liked Firestone.
http://www.firestonetire.com/content/dam/bridgestone/consumer/fst/tire-images/destination-mt/FST_Destination_MT.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/original

mold maker
01-31-2017, 10:35 AM
I've had bad luck with 3 brands before finding COOPERS. Way over half the tread left after the mileage that totally wore the others out.
You can bet it will be COOPER from now on.

RU shooter
01-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Whatever they had in stock at the used tire place that would fit in the wheel well ! For 20 bucks a tire out the door I wasn't picky I had kids at home with a never ending appetite so paying over 100 a tire plus mount balance wasn't isn't an option .

dragon813gt
01-31-2017, 11:05 AM
Ran Firestone Transforce A/T on my work van for 15 years. Never had an issue getting anywhere. W/ heavy vehicles they wear extremely well. Getting over 50k per set helped keep costs down a lot. I run Firestone Destination A/T on my personal truck. Same tire as the Transforce w/ a lower load rating. They've worked great, but my truck is to light to really take advantage of them. Made the mistake of not getting a tire rebalanced soon enough. Now they're really noisy. Any tire would do this but the tread pattern makes it worse than it is.

Freightman
01-31-2017, 11:13 AM
Free ones [smilie=l: BIL works for the Ford dealership they pull tires off the trade in's and they are good. They replace them with new and the good tires go to the recycle.

jmort
01-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Michelin XPS Traction

Boolit_Head
01-31-2017, 11:33 AM
BFG had noting but good luck with them across the lifespan of several trucks.

shdwlkr
01-31-2017, 11:52 AM
I have toyo mud and snow on one truck and bfg on the other they seem to get me where I need to go which is sometimes on non plowed roads in the winter to get my kids for time with dad.
I need tires that when I need to be on the road no matter the conditions I can go, as long as the roads are still open for travel. Might have to go slow because of road conditions but that is all part of the trip

bob208
01-31-2017, 12:01 PM
round and black holding air is a plus.

w5pv
01-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Any 8 ply(not 8 ply rated)with an aggressive thread that will make a little noise on the road.They last and have a longer usable road life.

Idaho45guy
01-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Any 8 ply(not 8 ply rated)with an aggressive thread that will make a little noise on the road.They last and have a longer usable road life.

How long a tire will last has nothing to do with the ply number (or rating, it's the same thing...) or how aggressive the tread is. Tread life is all about the rubber compound and how soft or hard it is. Unless you are talking about maybe a tire with more plys holding up better on rocky/gravel roads...?

ammohead
01-31-2017, 12:56 PM
"Hey baby, how bout you and me having some fun"? Oh tires, not tries. Sorry.

dverna
01-31-2017, 01:21 PM
Bought a beater for a plow truck. It had Coopers (Discovery M&S) on them. I have been impressed.

Don Verna

labradigger1
01-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Just bought my 2nd set of these. Wrangler at authority from wallyworld. $143 each for 16" 10 ply. The last set did all I ask well, no issues, great mileage too.

frankenfab
01-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Hankook Dynapro

Bridgesone Duelers suck!

funnyjim014
01-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Grabber at2.... wear nice and last a decent amount of time.

375supermag
01-31-2017, 01:44 PM
Hi...
When I had a pickup I always ran Michelin tires.
They wore well and got me through the mud, snow and what have you.
Ran them on a International Harvester Scout for several years in the early 1980s that got a lot of off-road mileage. They held up well for that as well.

gwpercle
01-31-2017, 03:05 PM
"Hey baby, how bout you and me having some fun"? Oh tires, not tries. Sorry.

Mine was " what's your sign "....back when Disco was cool !

I can honestly say I've never heard of a tire fetish !

1911sw45
01-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Labardigger1 Them tires are small rock keepers. I was glad when I got rid of them not long ago. Over half tread I gave them away.

Eddie17
01-31-2017, 03:24 PM
I'll second the General Grabber AT2, on my second set. First set ran for 85000 miles.

swheeler
01-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Last two sets have been Hankook Dynapro ATm no complaints. Full set 285-70-17 10 ply mounted and balanced for 880.00, can't beat it with a stick.

NoAngel
01-31-2017, 03:45 PM
My wife's family has had a Tire Shop for 35 years. I've worked in it for 13.
Michelin being the exception, there ain't a beans worth of difference in pretty much any of them. Either the tire is suited to your driving needs or it's not. One brand better than another is a literal joke we laugh at around here. Again, a Michelin WILL run and ride better than most. That's why you have to sell a kidney to pay for them. AND, Do NOT be fooled by Wal-Mart/Sam's Club Michelin. They are certainly not reject or substandard but they are vastly inferior to the michelin you buy at a retail outfit. Reason being, when Walmart offers a contract, you FIND a way to fulfill it. Joe Blow's Tire shop orders a couple dozen tires for inventory.....Walmart..tens of thousands. Again, they are not junk BUT, Walmart doesn't negotiate their contracts. You take it or leave and no manufacturer in their right mind turns them down. SO, you find a way to meet cost. Usually at the expense of quality.

Pick the load range and tread pattern you need for your driving habits and buy whatever you have money for. Proper alignment, proper inflation and regularly rotating them is the life of a tire.

And plys are about a joke too. I hear people tell me every day...I gotta have a 10 ply tire. Yeah? Good luck. With rare exception, you ain't gonna find much of anything over a 5 ply tread and a 3 ply sidewall. For 99% of us there is absolutely no need of it. With modern materials, number of plys mean nothing. Either they are engineered to bear the load or they are not.

I liken tire to shotgun shells. No matter how much you explain to people about why "high brass" doesn't mean anything any more, they will not listen. Which is fine, it's their money. Sell them what they HAVE TO HAVE. Do it with a smile and good service, then laugh when they leave.

I will say though, there are cheap cråp tires out there like a Firestone FR380 or certain "house brands" but for the most part, they are all the same.

labradigger1
01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Labardigger1 Them tires are small rock keepers. I was glad when I got rid of them not long ago. Over half tread I gave them away.

They can and will steal gravel, I agree with you 100%. It is the nature of the beast when running open lug tread. For me however, it's a small trade off for a tire that does well and self cleans the mud and snow.

NoAngel
01-31-2017, 03:58 PM
They can and will steal gravel, I agree with you 100%. It is the nature of the beast when running open lug tread. For me however, it's a small trade off for a tire that does well and self cleans the mud and snow.

I'm sure you do but keep those rotated every 8-10K. All those open tread designs love to get flat spots on them and once they start wearing like that, you can't hardly smooth them back up again. I tell everyone who buys a mud grip or all terrain tire, stay on top of rotating them.

I did have one customer who could fix any tire with flat spots. His truck had a ZZ502 crate engine from GM with a Th400 tranny and would EASILY smooth those back tires up. LOL!!!

CLAYPOOL
01-31-2017, 06:21 PM
B.F. GOODRICH T.A. - KO'S. The off roads boys love em for a reason. Think Baha 1000.

snowwolfe
01-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Michelins are my first choice. Hankooks are my second. If the savings is worth it I will choose Hankooks over Michelins.

Swede 45
01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
When I had my Explorers and did alot of tracking of wounded game for the police, I ran Cooper Discovery M/S all year.. I did alot of driving on small gravelroads, lumberroads, mud, offroad, wet slick pastures, plowed fields, snow et.c. I only drove about 1/3 of my milage on paved roads, but didn´t think of any noice.
Never had any problem with them. Good thing was that the thread design was self cleaning.. Ran some Firestone for a while with a pattern that just clogged up with mud and turned into slicks..

When you try to pull out a big moose bull that you just have put down after tracking it 1 mile out on a freshly plowed field.. 2am and rain.. slicks are no good! ;)

M-Tecs
01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
These are the best I have found to date http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at2

Idaho45guy
01-31-2017, 07:47 PM
B.F. GOODRICH T.A. - KO'S. The off roads boys love em for a reason. Think Baha 1000.

Those tires went through a significant redesign a couple of years ago. I wanted to try them out, but over $300 per tire was a little rich. My Cooper ST MAXX tires were $260 each and the AT3s were only $199 each.

I ran a set of the old style on my Suburban in AZ and they did pretty good on sand and rocks, but then I moved to Idaho and they did not impress me in the snow. Very hard rubber compound. Supposedly the new style is much better.

Idaho45guy
01-31-2017, 07:49 PM
These are the best I have found to date http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at2

I put a set of those on a mini-van once when I lived deep in the AZ outback. They did great! Have almost bought them again for a couple of different rigs, but keep finding other designs I want to try out.

ericp
01-31-2017, 08:13 PM
General Grabbers for summer tires, Blizzaks for winter. The Blizzaks are phenomenal.

Eric

jonp
01-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Yokohama's were a jack of all trade, master of none but held up good to dirt roads, rocks and tree limbs when getting firewood and were reasonably quiet on the road. I got almost 80,000 miles out of a set.

Winter, Hakkapeliitta. Hands down if you can find them.

Skeet06
01-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Firestone Transforce have done well for me. My application: 3500 series diesel pickup towing a 15500 lb 5th wheel trailer. 55000 to 60000 miles and removed before being totally worn out.

Blanket
01-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Hankook, you couldn't give me a Cooper

LUCKYDAWG13
01-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Michelin put them on my truck 50000 miles ago rotate them every 7000 miles still looking good

308Jeff
01-31-2017, 09:47 PM
Been a fan of BFG my whole life, but the last 3 sets of tires I've bought have all been Falkens. First set was because I got a great deal, last two have been because I've really liked 'em.

white eagle
01-31-2017, 09:48 PM
I have had Coopers on the last 3 trucks I have owned
they just dig and crawl through snow and mud like no other
I do offer a warning though you can get stuck in some nasty hell holes

Hickory
01-31-2017, 10:07 PM
I have a small Chevy truck. All season car tires is what goes on it. I like it quite. I hate the sound of big, deep tread, truck tires.

MarkP
01-31-2017, 10:12 PM
Cooper AT3, great off road traction, quiet ride, and American made.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
I am real happy with a set of cooper discoverer m+s (LT225 75 16) (yeah, they are two sizes smaller/narrower than spec'd for a 3/4 ton full size chevy) (the way I like it ...for snow) that I had on my 71, then swapped them before I sold it, and put them on the 2000 C2500 I got now. Both trucks are 3/4 ton 2x4...never had a problem in the snow.

Idaho45guy
02-01-2017, 12:08 AM
I also buy all my tires online now.

The biggest tire retailer in my area is Les Schwab Tire and they sell Toyo tires, which are great tires, but way, way overpriced. I also have a lifted pickup and so I run a larger size. At the local tire shop, that means I have a choice of 2 or 3 different tires. If I go to Tire Rack or Discount Tire online, then I typically have between 10 to 15 choices or more, for much less money.

When I bought my first set of Coopers, Les Schwab had the Toyo AT for $305 each. With mounting and balancing, the final bill was almost $1400. I ordered the Coopers from Discount Tire Direct for $259 each, got free shipping, and had them mounted and balanced for $90. Total cost was just over $1100. Saving $300 and having more choices is worth it to me...

WJP
02-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Dick Cepek fun country on my truck. Have been running 37/12.50/17 getting over 60k a set and go through everything I need. Tried some BFG TA KO2 on my wife's truck and they are doing great as well. Haven't run them too hard but through the rain and light mud they've done good. 32k on them and still at over half tread left.

Geezer in NH
02-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Sticker able are my favorites. Now running Hankooks on my 2001 GMC

lightman
02-01-2017, 07:00 PM
When I had a rig that I used in the woods I ran Buckshot mudders and later B F Goodrich Mud Terrain. Not much mileage out of the Buckshots and only a little better on the Goodrich. I run 10 ply Michelin on my other trucks and get good service from them. Had 100K + on a set of 6 ply on my Wifes rig. I ran Bridgestone 10 plys on one truck that I owned that had 16.5's on it. Got good service from them too! I believe in good quality tires!

jonp
02-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Cooper AT3, great off road traction, quiet ride, and American made.

I"ve had several set's of these on various rigs and they always were good. I'm running some cheap Chinese 285/70/17's on my F150 now. They seem ok and I've had them on 2 years but I'm not sure how long they will last but for about $550 shipped to my door from Ebay I thought I would try them out just to see how long they will last. Mid level tread as I don't do much off road anymore. When they give up the ghost I'll buy a decent set of tires probably Coopers.

DLCTEX
02-01-2017, 09:20 PM
I have given up on Goodyear tires. Too many broken belts and when I start driving on a cold morning you would swear the tires were square they bounce so bad. I am giving Cooper tires a try now.

Ken in Iowa
02-01-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't do much off road. We really like the Firestone Destination LE2 all season road tires.

Yodogsandman
02-01-2017, 09:43 PM
I love tires. I should have started my own tire business since I love researching, buying, and trying out all different tread types.

My latest tires I've tried have been Coopers. Ran the ST MAXX last year and they did very well in snow, dirt, and mud. A little loud on the street, but a great looking tire...

Just before the snow hit this year, I went to a milder tread that I thought would do a little better in the snow and still work well in the mud. They are the Cooper AT3s.

They are better on the road with a very smooth and quiet ride. Decent mud and dirt performance, but snow not as good as I hoped. I actually think the ST MAXX tires did a little better...

Love the AT3s! On my 2nd set!

Driver33
02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
I have had good service from cooper at3. Will probably buy them to go on my f250

shooterg
02-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Me, I like the ones that say "Made in USA " on 'em. Pretty much limited to Goodyear and Cooper, maybe some of the "Kelly" brand also made by Goodyear ? We roll on Coopers. Generally get 'em when they give you a gift card for buying 4.

Wasalmonslayer
02-01-2017, 11:46 PM
My vote goes to the Cooper AT3 as stated above. We have gone thru 5 sets.
We get 60-65k out of them on trucks that tow boats every day!!
Traction is fantastic and they wear great!!
As long as they keep making them we will keep buying them!!

geezer56
02-02-2017, 01:49 AM
I work for Continental. I get a large discount on Conti or Generals. So I run Michelins. Conti and the General haven't held up well for me.

Idaho45guy
02-02-2017, 02:15 AM
I work for Continental. I get a large discount on Conti or Generals. So I run Michelins. Conti and the General haven't held up well for me.

That's too bad; I've been really tempted by the new General Grabber X3...

.45Cole
02-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Another vote for BFG ATs or MT's depending on the scenario. I got spare rims at the junk yard and I run AT's as a daily driver and MT's when I go in deep snow or wheelin'.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
ive owned lots of 4x4s through the years and many brands of tires on them. Goodyears, coopers, coursers, swampers, and mostly bfgs, both the AT and Mud terrain. If I was just going to be off road period id probably stick with mud terrains. they are great off road and wear well but are terrible on icy or even wet roads are loud and get LOUDER with age . BFG ats area a great tire. Good in the woods, good on the road, good on snow and ice. I just put new tires on my new jeep jk. I went with 305/70/17 nitto ridge grapplers. For a couple reasons. First there more aggressive then the bfgs and are kind of a hybrid at/mud tire. Lots of sipping and so far have done as well on snow and ice as the bfg ats. One big reason I didn't go bfg at this time is that there newest incarnation of that tire the ko2 is known all over the internet as having balance problems. Hard to balance and hard to keep balanced. If they fixed that I wouldn't have a thing to complain about them. I have a set on my old jeep tj that has 5ok on them and you swear it looks more like 1ok. the nitto ridge grapplers balanced nice. As a matter of fact my buddy whos owns the local shop that balanced them said hed never seen a at tire let alone one that big that balanced so easily. There just as quiet on the road as the bfgs. time will tell how they wear but if they hold up well there hands down my first choice in the future for a 4x4 tire. Another good one my buddys brag on is the cooper pro. Its almost as aggressive as the new bfg km2 mud terrain and is much quieter on the road and has a lot more sippng to make it much better on snow and ice but not quite as good as the duratrac, bfg at or the ridge grappler. It would be a great tire if where snow and ice aren't a big concern and is even serviceable where there is snow and ice. Probably the two hottest selling new tires right now are the ridge grapplers and the cooper pros.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2017, 01:41 PM
there mtrs are great off road, but are loud and hard to balance and don't wear that well. Goodyear duratracs are great on snow and ice and real good off road except they have paper thin sidewalls that are easily damaged. Everyone I know that ran both of those tires went elsewhere.
I have given up on Goodyear tires. Too many broken belts and when I start driving on a cold morning you would swear the tires were square they bounce so bad. I am giving Cooper tires a try now.

lancem
02-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Yes to the ST MAXX, best and longest lasting tire I have run out here. When this set finally wears out another set is going on!

Blanket
02-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Hankook, after my last go around with Cooper tires you could not give me a set. Bean stubble would cause flats faster than you could change them. Will never own Michelin's after Viet Nam

doc1876
02-04-2017, 10:06 AM
I also am a Cooper fan. I bought my first set in "86, and have been buying them ever since. The last set Cooper Discovery whatever they are, I have had all kinds of front end trouble. I have had them out of align more than they have been in, and with care, and rotating, they are still past the expected mileage!! had I not had all the issues, I would have gotten another 20k out of them easily. oh, well, 220,000 miles on the ol' Dodge, and I guess something had to wear out.

Idaho45guy
02-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Ironically, I went out to my dad's place in the country to shoot on his range. He's in AZ for a couple of months, but his drive had been plowed a couple of times by a friend.

I went out and there was still 6" of fresh snow on the plowed section and a foot and a half of wet old snow everywhere else. Was turning around to go home and couldn't see that I was backing into the unplowed area and got stuck, bad.

Had to use 4-lo and a shovel to get out. I think my old ST MAXX tires would have done better in that deep, wet snow...

Christmas tree hunting with the AT3 tires...

Trying out the old ST MAXX is the rare mud last year...

warboar_21
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
I had a set of the Cooper AT/3 on a jeep Cherokee. They really did well out here in the desert and they type of terrain I was willing to venture. I sold the jeep and now have a 2015 Ram 2500 with Cummins motor. The truck came with the Transforce HT which is a fantastic highway tire that I would put up against the Michelin.
I pulled those off and went with the Discover ATP which is exclusive to Discount Tire. I was looking to put the AT/3 but a good friend had the ATP on his 3500 Ram and they had about 35K on them and looked to be about half tread. He said he was able to get close to 60K out of the last set.
Another recommended tire I see a lot is the Toyo fun country. They wear real well on the heavier diesel trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mtnfolk75
02-04-2017, 07:28 PM
I just put the Hankook Dynapro's on my Dodge, 275/60/20, $905 OTD. They work well in the ice & snow, they replaced a set of Goodyear Wrangler HT's that still had about 40% tread but might as well been slick in snow & ice. I think the Wranglers are just too hard a tire, long wearing but too hard for ice ....

crawfobj
02-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Nitto Terragrappler. Currently running G2s on my tundra and really like them.

jonp
02-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Me, I like the ones that say "Made in USA " on 'em. Pretty much limited to Goodyear and Cooper, maybe some of the "Kelly" brand also made by Goodyear ? We roll on Coopers. Generally get 'em when they give you a gift card for buying 4.

Bridgeston/Firestone make them here. I pickup and deliver to a place next door and one across from them in Wilson, NC. Big plant.

Detroitdanm
02-05-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm done with Goodyear's, had 4 sets on 4 different vehicles, poor mileage, uneven wear and crummy traction on all once they got some miles on them. Last set was on a Honda CRV and after 20-25,000 miles they had so much road noise and gave such a rough ride it made the vehicle unpleasant to drive. Switched to Coopers on the recommendation of a local shop and the vehicle drove like brand new for the next 50,000 miles until I traded it. Tires still had alot of life too at that point. Use Michelins on my minivan at work and the gave well over 70,000 miles of service and still gave an excellent ride, very good traction and were nice and quiet even when fully worn.

flyingrhino
02-09-2017, 02:54 PM
I just picked up a used '07 Tundra. Off road package with an additional 2" lift. Has Cooper 275/70/18 S/T MAXX's on it. Have 7/32 tread left on them. Tires are 6 years old by the date stamp. I got this truck for hunting. Got tired of getting stuck in my '88 S10. This isn't an every day driver. It's my weekend fun truck. Read all the threads here. I think I'll replace these with another set of the same. I need the mud traction. Don't have to worry about snow. It's 2WD so I need something that's got good bite in the mud.

mtnman31
02-10-2017, 08:52 AM
My favorites were the ProComp Xtreme A/T. I say "were" because they have all but killed off that line of tires. Las tI checked they only had them in a couple sizes. Nonetheless, I loved them. I had them on my everyday driver Toyota Tacoma. They were a fantastic all around tire. Worked well on dirt/gravel, good in snow, good on the street and wet roads. They also looked aggressive but weren't excessively loud. They wore well and held up to my style of driving. The only other tires I've ever used on my trucks are BFG's and Coopers. Both were decent tires although I've never been overly impressed with the street traction of the BFG's. I'm currently running BFG Mud tires on my truck. I got them on sale and I know that they are decent tire.

ubetcha
02-10-2017, 09:14 AM
My son has been using General Grabbers AT2 or maybe AT3 ( don't remember which) and loves them. He first had them on his 95 Chevy 1\2 ton 4wd and didn't need to us 4wd all winter in the snow. He will buy them again

Gun-adian
02-10-2017, 10:12 PM
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's...

Are they the best?? No idea, but this is the third set of them I've put on my truck and they've always worked great.

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2017, 08:41 AM
whether there the best is arguable. Whether there a great tire is not.;
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's...

Are they the best?? No idea, but this is the third set of them I've put on my truck and they've always worked great.