PDA

View Full Version : First casting help

Lowbudget12
01-31-2017, 05:58 AM
First time casting here. Took the advice from here, got some tin and made some 16-1 to cast my .44 mag devastators with. bullets came out nice. After casting a few more stuff started to form on top of my mix What is it and what do I do with it. I tried to reflux the mix but it didn't go away. I am ladle casting using a turkey fryer for heat.
Next problem. I would like to deer hunt with this load, gonna try 2400 what is a good pan lube? There are 100s of recipes here but not applications for them.
Last problem I have not slugged my cylinder or barrel yet, still reading and studying that one. The boolits will drop in cylinder and stop flush with the throats as cast and can be pushed through easy. I was going to buy a lee sizer to size and seat gas checks .429 or .430? Help please so I can shoot these awesome looking boolits. Thanks

Wayne Smith
01-31-2017, 09:02 AM
1) We need to know your alloy and sources to even begin to guess what's on your pot!
2) If the boolits fit as you described don't bother sizing them, lube and load and shoot. Oops- I see - GC's. Measure your boolits with a micrometer and get a sizer that they just slip through - and cleans off the lube as it seats the GC.
3) Look at Ben's Red or one of the tumble lubes. I use a modified Emmerts for my pistol rounds, but Ben's is extremely slippery.

runfiverun
01-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Glens new blue lube looks to pan lube pretty well.

you need to turn down the heat as your pot goes down.

TexasGrunt
01-31-2017, 06:02 PM
If you plan on casting for four or more calibers then take a look at the NOE push through sizing die. You might want to look anyway as they make an awesome tool.

fredj338
02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Agree, turn the heat down, that is dross forming & some of your tin is in there. Reflux & stir it in, but it doesn't go away.
Bigger is better for cast bullets, so if you want to size, go 0.430"or even 0.431". Can't help with pan lube, I stopped that about 38yrs ago.;-)

runfiverun
02-01-2017, 10:38 PM
I stopped that at one pan full.

Lowbudget12
02-02-2017, 08:36 PM
I thought panlube would be the easiest way to lube them. I don't have a lubesizer yet. This is my first batch of bullets that I have cast.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Pan lubing is fine until you look at your first batch of 100+ boolits and start considering either a lube sizer or coating those puppies!

Toymaker
02-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Facts=casting outside (I hope); ladle casting; 16:1 alloy; uncontrolled heat source; no mention of a thermometer;
Guesses=it's cold; there's a bit of a wind
What has happened to me is that the alloy is oxidizing and forming dross on the surface of your pot. If you weigh your bullets from first cast to last you'll see the weight change.
Flux and stir your alloy. When casting go deep with your ladle and stir the pot as you lift to pour. Get a controllable heat source and a thermometer (big electric pot like a Waage and a PID); cold isn't so bad, but block the wind.
Welcome to the wonderful whacky world of casting where sorcery and magic prevail and one day everything may go right. May, not will.
:lol:

WHITETAIL
02-03-2017, 11:06 AM
:drinks:Welcome to the forum!
Nothing says better than practice.
You will have a few set backs, but
do not fret, we have all goofed along the
way. Just ask and someone has been their
done that!!! We all here wish you the best
so don't be afraid to ask.:cbpour: