PDA

View Full Version : New Englander question

BPJONES
01-30-2017, 02:39 PM
I just received a Thompson Center 50 caliber New Englander cammo version rifle in the mail. I got it with a bunch of accessories quite cheap because the seller stated that it had a blown nipple hole. He said he tried an oversized nipple but could not get it to work and he wasn't playing around with it. So I figured I'd get the oversize taps and whatever nipple it may require. There was a new nipple in a little plastic bag supplied with the gun. So, I gave it a try. It screwed right in to the base of the nipple and I had no trouble tightening it so I'm not sure what's going on there. I sent the seller a message to clarify before I go to any drastic measures.
But, I have a couple of general questions. This gun has the synthetic cammo stock and cammo barrel. I assume it is a "Tree Hawk" model. Should it say Tree Hawk on the barrel or was that just what they called their type of cammo? The barrel just says New Englander. Also, the lockplate and hammer are case colored, not cammo. Also, it has a black rubber recoil pad (factory), not a cammo one. Would this maybe be an early model or is it not a Tree Hawk at all? The barrel is 24" long, 25" counting the breech plug. The cammo on it is factory, it has the cammo sights and ramrod thimbles and, as mentioned, the stock is cammo synthetic. From pics I have come across, the rifles they are calling as Tree Hawks have cammo locks and hammers as well as cammo butt pad.

mooman76
01-30-2017, 08:35 PM
I'd give the nipple threads a real close look before firing to make sure the treads are plety good and maybe work up loads slow or even fire a heavy test load(tire and string thing) before trusting it. Biggest issue is the position of the nipple, if it lets go, it Is headed for your eye or head.

BPJONES
01-30-2017, 11:23 PM
I heard back from the fellow. He never fired it after trying an over sized nipple. He figured the nipple was loose in the threads before it tightened down all the way so he just left it. I removed it again and had a look. There is movement in the threads when screwing it in but when it gets near bottoming out it tightens more. I can really get a good tightening with the nipple wrench with no signs of stripping. There is no play at all when tightened and it is tight. But, because of the play/slop before it bottoms out, I guess the safe thing to do is to get a couple of different oversized nipples from Track of The Wolf and corresponding taps.

izzyjoe
01-30-2017, 11:47 PM
I would put Teflon tape on the nipple, and snug it up. I'm thinking the tree hawk was completely camouflaged, somebody may have changed the barrel. A friend had one when they first came out, and he didn't have it long, cause he was getting pour groups with, but it was not the rifles fault cause I shot it several times, and it did fine with me, mainly cause I backed off the powder charge to 80grs from the 100gr he was trying to shoot.

BPJONES
01-31-2017, 12:08 AM
Never thought of the teflon tape.
I don't think the barrel was changed as it is in a synthetic cammo stock and the barrel, ramrod thimbles, ramrod and sights are all cammo. There is a Thompson Center black powder book with it and I see in the back of the book it is written down where it was sold and a date of 1998.

bubba.50
01-31-2017, 12:09 AM
T/C's round barreled side hammer guns were all the same basic gun just with a different dress & make-up. and yes they made camo New Englanders. and if the barrel is camo from the factory, if you remove the camo it'll have a perfectly nice blue underneath the paint.

01-31-2017, 12:20 AM
By oversized nipple, do you mean the threads have been buggered up or are you or the seller talking about a musket nipple. You screwed in the standard #11 and it fit. Could he have been trying to hot rod the thing with a musket nipple?

Gtek
01-31-2017, 01:12 AM
1/4-28 UNF Heli-Coil repair?

triggerhappy243
01-31-2017, 02:19 AM
t/c used 1/4-28. is it possible he tried the metric nipple?

BPJONES
01-31-2017, 01:00 PM
t/c used 1/4-28. is it possible he tried the metric nipple?

At this point, I'm not sure what is really going on. I took a nipple out of another T/C I have to try. It is fairly loose in the threads. The replacement nipple that came with the gun doesn't have as much play but does have some before being fully tightened. The threads don't look all beat up but I guess they are worn enough. They don't look like any tap has been run through them as the threads are fairly dirty looking. I don't know what size the nipple is that came with it. Too bad they weren't marked. I have ordered 3 different oversized nipples from Track of The Wolf to see if I can get a tight fitting nipple. I suppose the 1/4 x28 heli- coil would be the best way to go. At least then it could be put back to the standard nipple so there is no confusion down the line but, thinking about, I doubt the hole is deep enough to have enough threads and properly seat the helicoil.

tomme boy
01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/ROS-05-S

This is the oversized version for 1/4-28. It is what you need

BPJONES
01-31-2017, 04:45 PM
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/1/ROS-05-S

This is the oversized version for 1/4-28. It is what you need

I have one of those coming along with the next 2 sizes up.

54bore
02-01-2017, 07:11 AM
I have one of those coming along with the next 2 sizes up.

This should fix ya right up

BPJONES
02-01-2017, 09:35 AM
As the nipple that came with it was supposed to be oversize, I didn't think easrlier to try it in my other T/C. So yesterday I tried it. It screwed in the other gun with no problem at all. It had no trouble starting and there was no binding of the threads and it took no pressure/effort to screw it in. So I'm thinking it is not an oversized nipple at all that the fellow had acquired. So yep, I'm hoping the nipple that I have coming will do the trick.

Geezer in NH
02-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Measure the nipples with a mike only way to know. All else is bull

BPJONES
02-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Got the oversize nipples today. .005 oversize fixed her up!

54bore
02-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Got the oversize nipples today. .005 oversize fixed her up!

Good deal! Now get out and enjoy it!

Newtire
02-10-2017, 09:12 AM
I have used those oversized nipples from Track of the Wolf and they worked great.