PDA

View Full Version : Dot sights and reflex sights question

DCM
01-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know of a dot or reflex sight that is turned on by a pressure switch?

I put an Aimpoint on a family members hunting rifle.
When we were out in the field I noticed them fidgeting with it on occasion so I asked if there was a problem with it.
They responded that they were turning it on and off to save the battery.
I had already explained that the battery would last a good loooong time as this is one of the new units not the older ones.
They insisted on messin, once again we can only lead them to water.
It got me to thinking that a pressure switch would be Ideal for quick on action in the field.
I understand the desire to save the battery but can't understand risking not being able to make the shot when it presents itself briefly.

ole 5 hole group
01-29-2017, 02:44 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/477290/truglo-triton-red-dot-sight-5-moa-dot-red-green-and-blue-with-pressure-switch-and-integral-weaver-style-mount-matte

Aimpoint red dots - those I'm familiar with have a 5 year battery life if left on constantly (50,000 hours)- If they can afford to purchase an Aimpoint, you would think they could replace the battery every hunting season, if battery life worried them that much????

DCM
01-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Thank you Ole 5 hole, that is just what I had in mind!

Completely agree on the Aimpoint/battery situation also! I tried to get the 50,000 hours thing through their head, but ... and the batteries are very cheap compared to the sight. Some folks you just can't reach.

NSB
01-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Almost all of them have long battery life. I've been using the same batteries in my Leupold/Gilmore and Burris FF's for two years. I carry a spare set of batteries which I've never needed to put in during hunting season. When I was shooting competition and shot every day the same batteries lasted an entire year and I changed them each year just to make sure they wouldn't run out. Like you said, "you can lead them to water". I can't see a manufacturer adding a pressure switch to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Yup aimpoint all the way and leave it on. Or a trigicon that is tritium. Ive got a couple comp 2s. they have only a 1 year claim left on. One of mine is my bedside gun and has been on for 3 years now. I had to click the rheostat up one notch this year. If your real concerned spend 5 bucks once a year and replace it. Put the old battery in something else so that you don't waste the 90 percent life that's probably still in it. As to a pressure switch, what happens if you hurt those fingers that are needed to push on that pad? What if the pad fails, gets damaged ect. they aren't cheap but you have to go ALOT more expensive to get a better optic for an AR then an aimpoint and at NO PRICE LEVEL do you get a more rugged reliable sight.

popper
01-30-2017, 04:53 PM
There are several but just turn it on when you start the hunt, off when done. Let's see, quick shot at target, safety - check, sight - check, Oh, missed the opportunity. Darn. Bad shot because I only had another millisec. to aim & shoot. Now I get to spend a day looking for the (whatever) animal. Get a voltmeter and check all of them before you go.

JSnover
01-30-2017, 07:01 PM
It's not as if these things are powered by car batteries, add one to your kit (you have a kit, right?).
My MicroLux came with a spare stored in the windage cap.

Artful
01-31-2017, 02:41 AM
OKO sight's had a pressure pad feature but new ones like Hartman, Holosun, et al are motion/position sensitive and auto turn on when in shooting position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPSv7NoD-sw

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2017, 07:31 AM
cool sight but 600 bucks is a lot for a sight that hasn't been proven.