PDA

View Full Version : i need a hardness tester

hershey
06-29-2008, 09:15 AM
where do i buy something like this and more importantly what type do i want assuming that there are multiple types. i would mostly be using it to check one pound bars....

i have been using the what dents what method and that is great in the field and even in the shop, but when it comes to communicating on the forums and trying to give precise info it gets a little tougher to do so.

38 Super Auto
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I have the cabin tree hardness tester and am very happy with it. I found out my alloys are i) harder than I thought and ii) I was in some instances using alloy too hard for my application. I can save Sn and Sb when I know what I am working with.

The unit reads out on a machinist's dial. Approximate BHN can be interpreted from the dial output. It's built like a tank and give me very repeatable numbers

dromia
06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes Gussy's Cabine Tree tester works well.

Link at the bottom of the page under CastingStuff.

JIMinPHX
06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
I use the Lee tester. It's inexpensive & it gives me accurate numbers. It's not the most convenient tool that I've ever used, but for the number of times that I need to use it, it's just fine.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690924

kooz
06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I have the LEE tester,it is very accurate and easy to use.

Rick N Bama
06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
The Lee is probably as accurate as any, but I found it to be all but impossible to use. I sold mine, bought the Cabine Tree & haven't regretted it a bit.

Rick

timkelley
06-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Hershey, look under casting stuff at the bottom of the page.

warf73
06-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Cabine Tree all the way, for a few $$ more than a Lee go with the Tree.

Warf

USARO4
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Gussy's Cabine Tree is the Cadillac for the Chevy price.

GP100man
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
i have a lee & using the scope will make u go blind if not careful.
what i did was cut a clear 2liter soda bottle off & drill a hole to hold the scope snugly so it`ll slide into focus, that helped alot& when i got that fixed i had repeatable numbers with it .
not fancy but will work.

GP100man:cbpour:

Bret4207
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Get the Cabine Tree from Casting Stuff. No worries.

Pepe Ray
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi hershey;
All these guys gave good advice. I don't have one of Gus's units but have examined them and found them to be top notch.
However, I can remember when I couldn't spend a nickle on ANY absolutely unnecessary toy. Kids, mortgage, car repairs etc. If your not familiar with these things get a tester, there great fun and very useful. If ,however, you have a vise, a 6" caliper and a reclaimed (junk) ball bearing, 1/2" to 3/4" +/-, you already have every thing you need but the equation to compare a known lead sample with an unknown sample.
I say this because this technique isn't practical measuring boolets, only ingots.
If I'm meddling, ignore me. If your interested PM me and I'll get the equation to you.
This has been posted many times over the years and some have tried it. It works. It's not as much fun as a new toy , but if a guy is scrambling for a living it can't be beat.
Pepe Ray

pdawg_shooter
07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I use a Lee and love it. I put the scope in a 45ACP size die in the press. run the bullet up with the ram and move the bullet around under the scope to find the dimple. Works great!

Typecaster
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Pepe Ray—
I use the 3/4" bearing comparator method as well. Has anyone compared those results with one of them thar fancy ones? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Richard

Pepe Ray
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
In my later years (forced retirement) I acquired an LBT tester. It's much faster and a necessity testing boolets but no more accurate nor does it work as easily testing ingots.
If I had money to burn I'd have one of the Cabintree units.
Pepe Ray

Lloyd Smale
07-03-2008, 05:22 AM
cabin tree!!