PDA

View Full Version : 9mm largo success

jonk
01-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Been ages since I posted a new thread here, but here we go.

I've had a Llama Extra chambered in 9mm Largo for some time. I always meant to work up a load with it that was enough to cycle the action but mild, given the Spanish steel in question. Finally this weekend I got to it.

I wanted to use Bullseye, as it's my "go-to" pistol powder, and economical. Thing is, load data for the 9mm largo is non existant save for a few websites, and they don't really cover Bullseye. So I started with 2.0 grains, a load well below start load for the 9mm Luger and 38 ACP.

I worked up several bullets with this powder. The best results were kind of surprising.

Best was a Lee 158 gr SWCGC design, shot without GC, tumble lubed in LLA and sized to .356, over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. Dropped the cases at my feet, and shot a good 6" group with a pistol rest at 20 yards. Given the pitting in the bore of the gun, that's fine by me.

Close second was the Lee 105 gr SWC, also sized to .356 and tumble lubed. Both loads were using ACWW.

I think that both of these were successful due to the large bearing surface of the bullet, and low velocity- something that I wanted for cast loads in a 9mm case, as my trials with more conventional designs often lead to leading.

Now, I don't see a reason why these wouldn't make a fine plinker load for 38 ACP or 38 Super as well.

In general, I've been having some really good luck with the Lee 158 in 9mm rounds, including the 9mm Luger. While a rather heavy bullet for that case, 2.7 gr seems to work great there as well, in my surplus guns at any rate. Good for military oversized bores. It does great in my P-1 Walther, and my P08 Luger as well- though it does sometimes fail to cycle in the Luger.

Of course, all this is at your own discretion, as to use it or not.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
01-29-2017, 06:54 AM
May have to put some of those 158gr. together for the Destroyer this spring.I've had good results with the little 105gr. in my Star over SR4756 .

rintinglen
01-29-2017, 05:25 PM
I have used warmish 9mm loads--near top end--in the 9mm largo with excellent results. I do have to size 356 to get them to chamber.

Harry O
01-29-2017, 10:21 PM
I use the exact same loads (powder type, powder amount, bullet weight, etc) in my 9mm Largo's that I do in my 9mm Lugers (except for the case). Always works and have never had a problem.

45-70 Chevroner
01-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Winchester has loading data for the 9X23 MM using thier powder. Check it out on line. The Largo is a 9X23.

Texas by God
01-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Do Not use 9x23 Win data for the Largo. It's a much higher pressure cartridge although the brass case dimensions are virtually identical. Starting loads for the .38 Super will work. Best,Thomas.

reddog81
01-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Your post mentions 38 ACP a couple of times... What are you shooting and do you have any good recipes? I picked up a 1903 Colt last year and tried a couple of loads but was never too impressed with accuracy. Feel free to send PM to prevent thread drift if you wish.

45-70 Chevroner
01-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Do Not use 9x23 Win data for the Largo. It's a much higher pressure cartridge although the brass case dimensions are virtually identical. Starting loads for the .38 Super will work. Best,Thomas.
You are correct. It looks like the OP has a pretty good handle on his loading for the cartridge as it is. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

Texas by God
01-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Your welcome,sir. I was perplexed when Winchester introduced the 9x23. They had to know it would fit and fire in old .38ACP pistols as well as 9mm Largos. Imagine touching off a few in a 1903 Colt or heaven forbid a blowback Astra 400. Best, Thomas.

Walkingwolf
01-30-2017, 07:18 PM
I get great accuracy from our Star Super A, my wife's favorite gun to shoot. 2 inch groups off hand from 10 yards easy. Universal 5 grains with a plated 115 grain target hollow point, at around 1100 fps. Recoil very mild.

dougader
01-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Speer 14 has actual data worked up for the 9mm Largo.

As stated above, DO NOT use data for 9x23 Winchester. That's a magnum pressure cartridge with loads to 50,000 PSI!!!

Mr Peabody
01-31-2017, 12:09 AM
The last Sierra manual I bought has data too. I use a 125gr TC sized .357 in my Largo chambered Super. The 38 ACP data is safe to use. Bullseye, Unique and Titegroup all work well in mine.

45-70 Chevroner
01-31-2017, 05:11 PM
I wonder how many 9 MM Largos have been destroyed using the wrong data for reloading------? I could have easily made that mistake, I have shot several 9MM Largos but I've never owned one.

Harry O
01-31-2017, 09:50 PM
My uncle had a $20 Astra 400 that he bought mail-order in the early 1960's. He never used anything other than 9mm Lugers in it. He still has it and it still works. When I got one, I used .38 ACP and .38 Super cases in it (handloaded). No real problems. After the 9x23 Win was introduced, I ran across some cases at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, they would not always work in the Astra Largo. They would NEVER work in my Star Largo. I did a lot of measuring and found that the case was just a little too large just ahead of the extractor groove. I rigged up a deal for my drill motor and filed down the base of them slightly. They worked OK after that. The wall of the 9x23 Win is VERY thick near the base, so there was never a problem at Largo pressures. Since Starline started making 9mm Largo cases, I have put all the .38ACP/Super and 9x23 cases away and only use the right sized cases. BTW, RCBS has a die set labeled as for 9mmLuger/9x21/9x23 (part number 20515) that works perfectly for the Largo but is less than half the price of a set labeled for the Largo.