PDA

View Full Version : has this happened to anyone else

johnson1942
01-28-2017, 12:16 AM
not too many moments ago i was sitting on our sofa in our living room watching a comedy on tv. my wife was in our kitchen when all of a sudden she started screaming bloody murder and ran, hopped jumped and was wildly shaking her arms into the living room from the kitchen. shouting something about save me, save me, save me. yep she saw a mouse by the kitchen stove stuck to a mouse trap sticky looking up at her. i have played little tricks on her in the past but never ever about a mouse. she would never recover and i would never get out of the dog house. anybody else's wife or daughters go that nuts when they see a mouse? my son took it out side and dispatched it with his trusty .22. i would have just thrown it in a snow bank and let it freeze to death but my son said he should be put away in a quick manner. i dont like mice but my wife goes completely nuts if she sees one. stepping on a snake is another matter for me, ive never ever got used to that. well it is finally quieting down a little around here, sort of.

runfiverun
01-28-2017, 12:32 AM
mine isn't too bad with mice.
but someone else will be killing it for her.
now a snake.
you even touch a snake and your not getting near her.

little girl would kill a mouse with a spoon if necessary [or make a pet out of it] but a tiny little spider....OMG you better hope the shotgun ain't close.

starmac
01-28-2017, 12:59 AM
I had a very good old one legged roughneck friend (long gone now) that was not afraid of the devil himself, and wuld have jumped at the chance to whup him fr fun, but he was deathly afraid of a mouse.
Hwe didn't know why, but he was. One time another roughneck came up on the floor with something in a brown paper sandwich bag, he was makeing it rattle and told my friend he had a mouse. My friend started to jump off the floor, but turned and hit instead, BREAKING his neck.

6bg6ga
01-28-2017, 01:06 AM
Mine screams when it comes to spiders. Is ok with mice and snakes. I can remember years ago before I knew better I put a spider in a glass jar showed it to she and she took off screaming. Well, I had to chase her around the yard several times for the heck of it. This is NOT a thing a guy wants to do especially if he wants to get close to her within the next 30 days or so. This one bought me a good time out.

fatelk
01-28-2017, 01:23 AM
The worst I think I've ever heard my wife scream was when a garter snake crawled over her foot in the garden.

Bzcraig
01-28-2017, 01:36 AM
Yup my bride did nearly the same thing. Saw a mouse come under the the front door screen did all the screaming and jumped on the back of a chair. All I could do was laugh my butt off. Eventually she made turn over every piece of furniture to prove it had run back out the way it came in.

jcren
01-28-2017, 01:39 AM
Bugs for mine. She was driving one day when a grasshopper jumped in the window as we were pulling out the driveway, landing on the windshield in front of her. We would have gone straight into the ditch if I hadn't grabbed the wheel.

Mtnfolk75
01-28-2017, 01:54 AM
My wife disturbed a Honey Bee colony in the ground ..... :-( It was shortly after her Mother had passed in late 2005 and we had gone over to check on her Dad, they lived about 1/4 mile away on the same Mountain, so we had taken our Rhino Side-by-Side. As we were leaving she asked me to stop so she could stand up a Wrought Iron Planter that been knocked over in the yard, it had been her Mother's favorite and she couldn't stand to see it laying over. I had stayed in the Rhino and held the brakes due to the incline on the drive, as soon as she stood it back up a Black Cloud erupted out the ground. She started screaming and running back to the Rhino with Cloud in HOT Pursuit, I pulled the Parking Brake and jumped out just as she got to the back of the Rhino.

The Black Cloud which I had assumed were Meat Bees, enveloped us as I grabbed her hands to keep her from waving them. I got in her face while holding her hands up between us and calmly told her to quit screaming and stand still. Once she calmed down some we began slowing crabbing down the drive toward the house keeping our faces together and her hands held tight between is. When we got inside and closed the door she started screaming and crying again. When I started looking her over for stings, I found several Honey Bees in her hair and jacket.

We later determined that a problem Bear had knocked the planter over to get at the Honey that was in the stump that the planter had straddled. They had lived there for about 8 years and the planter had never been disturbed even by wind and snow, a hungry Bear had sure moved it though. Her Dad passed in December 2009 and the house was sold, that planter now resides on my wife's little patio out our back door.

BTW, she only suffered two stings if IIRC, but you can bet that she is still PETRIFIED of Bees ........:lol:

MaryB
01-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Tigger my mouser likes to bring them to me alive... in bed... lots of swearing has resulted more than once with a mouse under the blankets!

Moleman-
01-28-2017, 02:14 AM
Best one from my daughter playing in the yard years ago. Screaming like someone is trying to gut her and ending in tears "A BUG, ABUG,ABUG, ABUG, ABUUG, ABUGA HUHUHUG!!!!" Still hates bugs and won't touch them. At least she's more calm now and will come get me or her older brother or sister to take care of it. Other daughter loves all critters and especially likes petting bumble bees like dad showed her.

GhostHawk
01-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Mine's not so bad with mice. But she got bit on the top of the head by a Brown Recluse. Took forever getting over that and getting healed. So it is the same deal only spiders. ALL spiders.

Nice part is spiders are easy to squish. Once you got em, you got em.

NavyVet1959
01-28-2017, 03:09 AM
My wife goes hysterical over snakes. Which makes it all the more fun for me when I pick up the one she's screaming about and hold it out to her and say, "*this* little ole thing?" :)

I had an aunt that would go hysterical over *worms*. Oh, we had some *fun* while fishing with her... :)

Me? Nothing bothers me... My only concern is whether to dispose of it, deep fry it, or BBQ it...

abunaitoo
01-28-2017, 03:43 AM
When we were young, my sister and I had rats for pets.
They were as smart as any pet I've had.

Hickory
01-28-2017, 04:44 AM
My wife doesn't care for mice either, but she won't break out in a hideous scream of mortal fear.
The last mouse we caught, she threw it outside at the cat and said, "Do your job or you're getting replaced." She pointed her finger at cat in such a way as to get a 7 year old boy expelled from school and said bang!

GRUMPA
01-28-2017, 04:57 AM
Now that I read all the comments, I don't recall the wife getting hysterical over anything. Most know we live in the sticks, things like snakes, mice, rats, spiders, centipedes, insects, owls, hawks, and everything in between just don't bother her. She has a good eye though, we'll be on the patio and she'll remark that there's a mouse scampering about under the bench.

We have rat traps and mouse traps, dead or alive it doesn't matter, she'll take them to the burn barrel to dispose of them.

We have a chicken house, in the door we have a smaller door with a ramp so the chickens can come and go as they like, and the ramp that just swings up with a latch to close it up. We've been here for 11yrs and a couple months ago she was awakened at 1:30am by the chickens. Seems a hoot owl got inside from that small ramp/door being opened, never happened in 11yrs but there's always a first time. Anyway she caught the thing with the chicken net, bound its feet together with wire and put it in the enclosed patio. Why I have no clue but she did and I was awakened by what I thought was a wrecking crew. I get up and open the door and low and behold there's this owl looking right at me, I'm like "What the §¢¥€±" and closed the door and had some coffee figuring I'm still in a dream state.

After a few cups of coffee and feeling awake I opened the door after and realized I wasn't dreaming and my dear wife wanted me to see what she caught in the chicken house. I didn't know at the time the wife wired its feet together but it wasn't happy being caught in the first place let alone not being able to use its feet. So here I am all coffee'd up and almost awake and the wife comes out explaining the nights events. So now I go and grab this thing, and they aren't little either, it's hissing at me at generally showing its displeasure of getting caught and having its feet tied together and not being able to perch on anything. So after some belly rubs to calm it down I released it of its bonds and grabbed the welding gloves it was just happy to perch on my arm. Ever catch something on fire? And try to shake the flames out? That's what it was like trying to get that owl off my arm, it was just happy to perch on my arm and had no fear of humans it seems. After a couple minutes of shaking it finally took the hint and flew off never to be seen again. Now.....to this day we make sure we close that little door/ramp on the chicken house, I don't want a repeat of that episode again.

Nazgul
01-28-2017, 07:16 AM
Wife is a farm girl, not much bothers her.

Worked with a Marine Corps sniper for several years, he was still in the reserves, 3 tours in the middle east, the real thing. Danny had no problem in combat, shooting and being shot at. He could not handle spiders. Even talking about them got him worked up. He knew how he was and endured a lot of jokes, could not handle them at all.

Don

mozeppa
01-28-2017, 08:10 AM
i'd freak out...if i ever saw or was close to a unicorn!

so far, so good!

762 shooter
01-28-2017, 08:32 AM
My wife and spiders are a no no.

CastingFool
01-28-2017, 09:30 AM
One of my daughters has a phobia about frogs. It doesn't matter if they are live, yard ornament, or even a picture. So I take pics of frogs and text them to her, just to let her know I'm thinking about her. :bigsmyl2:

bayjoe
01-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Your wife and mine must be related. Mine throws a fit even when she sees a mouse outside. Our weiner dog killed a rat outside and she wanted to move.

Half Dog
01-28-2017, 10:34 AM
One morning there was about 3 pair of shoes in one spot. I asked and my wife saw a water bug and threw shoes at it.

Col4570
01-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Those of you familiar with Africa will have experienced meeting Preying Mantis.During my time in the merchant marine when on on watch down the Engine Room the occasional Mantis would drop in front of you from inside the Vents,usualy when we where half awake during a long hot Watch or doing the various Engine Room Chores.Standing at the desk filling in the Engine Room Log Book attracted a whole range of Creepy Crawleys that dropped onto the Book.As for Mice they are indeed beautiful little creatures when studied closely.My Cat Bring us a dead one regularly.I can get along with most creatures but steer clear of the ones with big Claws,Teeth or Venom.

DerekP Houston
01-28-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm the resident mouse catcher here....I'll admit they give me a shock when I see them running on a shelf unexpectedly. We tried poisons and humane traps....they didn't work worth a darn. 4 pack of 99c snap traps and I cleared out 3 mice in a week. I don't want to injure it and have it die in the walls so I prefer to have evidence to throw out. I still keep one baited in my ammo closet just to keep anything from setting up shop.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-28-2017, 12:05 PM
I live alone, been that way for decades.
But, when I was kid, my Mom had a penchant for cutting her hand/finger, while washing dishes, due to a misplaced knife in the dishwater. She'd always let out a loud yell, sometimes with a few expletives. Dad was usually in the next room (livingroom) watching TV, I was usually watching TV as well. We'd almost always jump up and run into the kitchen...where my Mom would say [embarrassingly], I just cut my hand.

...This happened so many times, I can't count.

swheeler
01-28-2017, 12:12 PM
I have a 25 year old daughter that will run you over to get away from a spider! I was just about down into the recliner with a fresh cup of boiling coffee when this blood curdling scream came from her bathroom, scalded my hand over a spider I couldn't see without reading glasses, looked like a fly spec. LOL

Col4570
01-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Mice,I had a Box of CCI Top Hat Percussion Caps chewed through by mice Spilling the Caps all over the place.The black Plastic Cap box must be edible to the mice.My Shooting Mat also got the same treatment,they chewed a hole through it.It was a Cheap Foam Rubber one that rolled up nice and tight and light to carry.Found some Hazel Nuts with holes in them in an old Pair of Boots in my Garage.Her indoors would go spare if she finds we have so many Mice just waiting to enter our House.

blackthorn
01-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Gail don't like spiders!!! I get called to deal with spiders. She will NOT go near them! She is soft hearted when it comes to mice and hates to see them killed. So when one of our live traps gets a mouse she wants it relocated. Several years ago in the winter we had an influx of mice. She would take the trap outside and dump the mouse over the bank behind the house. I told her they were just running right back to wherever it is they get in and she would not believe me. We had a fresh snow---she got rid of two mice in her normal, over-the-bank manner. I went out and showed her: her track in the snow from house to bank and the mouse tracks (about two feet over) heading back to the house. Now the mice get taken several miles away and released. At least that is what happens to the ones she discovers in the live trap. The ones I find first---not so much.

Ithaca Gunner
01-28-2017, 01:44 PM
The old woman hates mice, doesn't fear them, hates them and kills them by the hundreds every year thanks to living beside fields. She'll run from a snake and tell me to kill it with my .44 Magnum, (the only gun she's ever seen me kill a snake with, a big copperhead sunning itself on a rock). She claims she likes bats, but not in the house, she'll plot ways to kill spiders that she doesn't have to actually come in contact with them.

Nothing like a good old Victor mouse trap for her, she runs them like an old beaver trapper would his line.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Several years ago, we lived on a 2-1/2 acre piece of peace of land which had it's share of gopher snakes. One day my Wife and I were getting ready to go out for lunch with our two daughters and our daughter. I was in the back bathroom when I heard screaming like I had never heard before. All four of the females sounded as though a squad of thugs had broken down the front door. I ran into the living room to find them all crowded into one door way. They were all screaming and pointing at a front window. The blind was closed but you could see the shadow of a snake thru the blind. I opened the door to find a harmless gopher snake who had somehow gotten on top of the window and was trying to figure where to go next. I grabbed his tail and carried him across the road and realized him in some oleanders. Anything that will kill a gopher is my friend.

Plate plinker
01-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Mine hates mice and is the type that stands on a chair screaming and shuddering.

RogerDat
01-28-2017, 03:23 PM
The worst I think I've ever heard my wife scream was when a garter snake crawled over her foot in the garden. My wife likes to garden so one summer I built her a terraced rock garden all along the side of a 36' garage. About 8 -10 foot deep. I hauled a lot of rocks, brought in top soil, she ordered and we planted lots of plants. She was excited and many things were planted, then one day while weeding she spooked a garter snake that quickly took off. However that yelp on that day was the last time she ever worked, planted, or weeded that flower garden.

My telling her that the snake could be in any of the flower gardens so singling that one out made now sense mattered not in the least. She saw the snake there and by golly snake infested that place was forever more.

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Mine gets a bit screamy. She would NEVER take a dead one out of a trap!

lightman
01-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Yup, mine will cut up over a mouse. We get a few after the first cols spell after the crops are harvested.

MarkP
01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
anybody else's wife or daughters go that nuts when they see a mouse?.

Wife: absolutely yes

Daughter: no she would pick it up and look at it. If running around she would try to catch it.

Son: no he would poke at it but would not touch it.

Mtnfolk75
01-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Our Oldest Daughter wanted to be a Nurse when she was little, when she was 14 she got a Pet Turtle. Wasn't too long before it had to go the Vet due to Sluggishness .... Honest, that is what it was described as. Anyway, the Vet determined it suffered from a Vitamin Defientcy and needed Vitamin Shots twice a day. SWMBO had to do the shots and Daughter #1 quickly abandoned her Nursing asperations, she is 38 now and the Mother to 3 amazing Boys from 7-18 & she has been a Nurse more times than she cares to admit ......

Green Ghost
01-28-2017, 06:05 PM
My better half is deadly afraid of.... Crickets! When she was very young, she a had a bad experience with a darkened outhouse and a few hundred crickets. She loses it every times she sees one now.

Jerry

Walla2
01-28-2017, 06:29 PM
No matter with my wife. She murders them all without a problem. Makes me worry sometimes.

woodbutcher
01-28-2017, 07:45 PM
:D
Never had much problem with mice when our JR kitty was alive(died of old age at the age of 14).Just don`t get between him and the mouse.He would go over,under around or through ya to get to it.He was the heat seeking missel of the feline variety.About the only thing the ex was afraid of was lizzards.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

bearcove
01-28-2017, 08:59 PM
Mice don't bother them, wife and daughter that is, but they always call me to kill the Black Widows. We get nasty little scorpions, will knock you down, and me and the wife were in the basement of the new house and one comes out, She's "THERE'S ONE GET IT" Stomping on it in sandals. Missed 3 or 4 times but close enough to get stung. Finnaly got it. I told her don't do that in sandals, she said "I got It" and walked off.

These kill weak people and hurt like hades.

xs11jack
01-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Back in the early 50s, my uncle Ken owned a small resort on a good fishing lake. He built 3 small cabins to rent out. One time this writer person rents one of the cabins to finish writing his latest book. What he didn't tell Uncle was that he was afraid of mice. One evening he was writing away at the kitchen table. He heard a noise and saw a mouse running along a open self. He picked up a .45 semiauto and fired away. He was a really good shot as he hit the mouse dead center just as he went past a one gallon tin can of lard. Yes sir, there was lard and mouse innerds every where in the kitchen!! Uncle ran over to see what happen. The man expained that he was leaving, and gave uncle a $20 bill for the damage and disappeared into the night.
true story Ole Jack

Ithaca Gunner
01-28-2017, 09:31 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn179/krag1894/dog6_zpsz6bbjamt.jpg

Doggonekid
01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
My wife is tolerant of small mice, spiders & snakes. She wont freak out she just calmly has me take care of them. I think the only think she freaks out over small paychecks. (LOL)

daengmei
01-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Being from Thailand my wife don't mind anything. She has brought home a bat, a raccoon. A snake in the kitchen brought in by the cats to play with she just threw it outside. Some of the things that she says taste so good, I'm almost scared of HER, lol.

ShooterAZ
01-28-2017, 10:25 PM
Yup, it's spiders mostly. She shows no mercy and screams bloody murder. By the time I get over there, it's either in the vacuum cleaner or it's a splotch on the carpet due to a beat down with a shoe. Truthfully, she hates bugs of any kind and beats them senseless with whatever she can get her hands on.

skeettx
01-28-2017, 10:39 PM
She don't like spiders and snakes, and that is not what it takes to love me (SONG)
Yes, not even funny
Mike

Bullwolf
01-28-2017, 10:47 PM
My girl doesn't have a problem with rats or mice. Just the initial startle factor. I've even seen her tormenting the mice in the barn.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=186503&d=1485657641

She runs a Victor, like it's a trap line.

With all the damage the rodents cause, I need all the help I can get.

- Bullwolf

Teddy (punchie)
01-28-2017, 11:34 PM
bats and did I say bats .

RogerDat
01-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Bats screech something awful when you catch them in your bosses light jacket, just saying pretty horrid sound. Don't think boss was amused. Everyone else didn't care how the bat was removed as long as it was gone. He can wash the coat.

I get mice at the reloading bench in the basement, found one dead in a 5 gallon bucket with some corncob media in it. Went in and couldn't get out. Wife doesn't care about them being killed with the traps, she just doesn't want to see them afterwards. Ours are considerable smaller than those of bullwolf.

Was at the bench running a press when trap went off that was along base of wall under that same bench, couldn't have been more than 3 feet from my feet yet that mouse was cruising for food. Have to put the traps where dog can't get them, dog would go for the peanut butter too. Dog she kills mice from time to time, keeps getting worms from illing those or bunnies.

MaryB
01-29-2017, 12:02 AM
having been bit by a brown recluse I have no love for spiders. But it was a freak event, it was in a box shipped to me from OK. I was unpacking a telescope and felt something on my bare ankle then it bit me. I swatted it and the doc confirmed it when I brought the spider in. I lost a silver dollar sized piece of flesh on my ankle from it and it took 6 months to heal. I saw a spider scoot from the box so put 2 and 2 together. But spiders have a short life span if I see them! Except daddy long legs and the look alike cellar spiders(daddy long legs has 2 body segments, cellar spider an oval body). They eat a lot of the other spiders so I let them be as long as they are not where I walk into a web.

My wife and spiders are a no no.

MaryB
01-29-2017, 12:18 AM
My house is old, I seem to get 2-3 bats every fall that wake me up as they dive bomb past my face. I just open the door upstairs and shoo them out. Once they hibernate in the attic it isn't an issue.

bats and did I say bats .

coloraydo
01-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Yep, mice and snakes will drive my better 3/4's up the wall. If she sees a mouse, she usually just dances in one spot, trying to tell me what she saw. It usually takes quite a while before she can talk straight. Course it doesn't help that I am usually laughing too hard that it takes me a while before I can help her. Sorry, it is just funny.

Bob in Revelstoke
01-29-2017, 03:03 AM
Most women are afraid of the deadly one-eyed trouser snake........

koger
01-29-2017, 01:33 PM
I can imagine seeing this! LOL!

kingstrider
01-29-2017, 01:50 PM
My wife doesn't like vermin either but in the past has set traps. I get to clean them out though.

mine isn't too bad with mice.
but someone else will be killing it for her.
now a snake.
you even touch a snake and your not getting near her.

little girl would kill a mouse with a spoon if necessary [or make a pet out of it] but a tiny little spider....OMG you better hope the shotgun ain't close.

375RUGER
01-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Not mice, but centipedes, I've had to rescue my wife and her best friend from them. That's OK, the best friend feeds me so I don't mind driving over to kill a centipede.

Blackwater
01-29-2017, 05:45 PM
What a funny thread! I have mild phobias about spiders, heights, and needles. I lose ALL my macho around a hypodermic! I'm a lot better with it, now that I've been poked so many times as I have now, but it still makes me uneasy.

My wife on the other hand ..... well, when our son was about 3 years old, and was just learning you can make things up, and often, they're really funny, sat laughing to himself one day, and Judy asked him what he was giggling about. He rather sheepishly said he didn't think he sould tell her. She kept after him, and finally, he pointed at her shoulder, and said, "You've got a spider on your shoulder," in a very matter of fact sort of way, other than the giggling. He knew she didn't like bugs. Well, the reaction was immediate and involuntary, and she ripped that blous off in the twinkling of an eye, and threw it down on the floor and was dancing around it like some sort of insane 'war dance.' So there she was, in her bra and slacks, and dancing like I'd never seen her dance before, and my son laughing, and I was mystified by all of it! This put my son in full fledged belly laughs that he couldn't stop! I was shocked and asked what was the matter. My son finally, through the belly laughs, said, "I was only teasing!" and the look on my wife's face was one that I couldn't tell whether it meant, "We're gonna' have to make another son" or "Gee, I'm glad it wasn't anything real." So .... she finally went back to the bedroom and got another blouse to wear, got that blouse and threw it in the washer (even though she knew it was a prank and not true, she was NOT going to wear that blouse again until it had been thoroughly washed, and I suspected she may have washed it twice just for good measure!). I learned therein to NEVER tempt or tease her with ANY kind of bug! The female really IS the deadlier of the species, when properly motivated!!! I'm just glad I survived that lil' incident without becoming a casualty!

NavyVet1959
01-29-2017, 06:37 PM
What a funny thread! I have mild phobias about spiders, heights, and needles. I lose ALL my macho around a hypodermic! I'm a lot better with it, now that I've been poked so many times as I have now, but it still makes me uneasy.

My wife on the other hand ..... well, when our son was about 3 years old, and was just learning you can make things up, and often, they're really funny, sat laughing to himself one day, and Judy asked him what he was giggling about. He rather sheepishly said he didn't think he sould tell her. She kept after him, and finally, he pointed at her shoulder, and said, "You've got a spider on your shoulder," in a very matter of fact sort of way, other than the giggling. He knew she didn't like bugs. Well, the reaction was immediate and involuntary, and she ripped that blous off in the twinkling of an eye, and threw it down on the floor and was dancing around it like some sort of insane 'war dance.' So there she was, in her bra and slacks, and dancing like I'd never seen her dance before, and my son laughing, and I was mystified by all of it! This put my son in full fledged belly laughs that he couldn't stop! I was shocked and asked what was the matter. My son finally, through the belly laughs, said, "I was only teasing!" and the look on my wife's face was one that I couldn't tell whether it meant, "We're gonna' have to make another son" or "Gee, I'm glad it wasn't anything real." So .... she finally went back to the bedroom and got another blouse to wear, got that blouse and threw it in the washer (even though she knew it was a prank and not true, she was NOT going to wear that blouse again until it had been thoroughly washed, and I suspected she may have washed it twice just for good measure!). I learned therein to NEVER tempt or tease her with ANY kind of bug! The female really IS the deadlier of the species, when properly motivated!!! I'm just glad I survived that lil' incident without becoming a casualty!

If only he had thought to do that when ya'll was out having a meal at a restaurant... :)

runfiverun
01-29-2017, 07:03 PM
if only Dennis had figured that out 5 years sooner....:lol:

bbs70
01-29-2017, 11:44 PM
SWMBO doesn't care like spiders or mice, no screaming, just gets away from the area fast.
Eldest daughter age 46 now has always been scared to death of clowns and the song "They're coming to take me away"
She doesn't know why but she has been that way since she was a little girl

starmac
01-30-2017, 01:39 AM
When I was younger I would torment folks I worked with if I found out they were really afraid of snakes. This got me the chance to look down more than one barrel, and even the chance to duck and dodge live fire a few times.
One such time was a black guy running a scraper, I acted like I was going to throw a snake at him, he went right out thegate on the scraper to his car and returned with a 38. By that time I was up talking to the boss, and told him why he had left the jobsite on the scraper. He came up slowly makeing sure I didn't have a snake in my hands and stuck that 38 in my face, shaking so bad that chances were good he would have missed if I didn't move. I was laughing and ask him what the deal was, he wasn't afraid of a little grass snake was he. lol I will never forget his answer, he claimed he wouldn't even watch a snake on TV. lol

Idaho45guy
01-30-2017, 09:48 AM
My ex-wife's thing was bats. Couldn't be outside at dusk when the bats started coming out to eat the bugs. She was deathly afraid due to her growing up in an old house in Iowa and they would be discovered in the house all the time. She had one fly into her hair in her bedroom and it scarred her for life...

My thing is snakes. But only if I'm surprised by them. Walking along and one slithers in front of me and I will scream like a little girl. But, I was a park ranger for a few years on the Snake river in Idaho and part of my job was to kill rattlesnakes that wandered into the parks and campgrounds.

Wasn't allowed to discharge a weapon, so I had to use a shovel. Got up close and personal with many rattlers that way. Had no problem approaching a large rattlesnake with just a shovel, but have a little garter snake slither in front of me in the yard and I will look like I'm fighting invisible ninjas...

starmac
01-30-2017, 12:12 PM
The only time I was afraid of a snake, was when I was a kid I went barefoot all the time, and spent much of my time in the woods. One night dark as it can get I stepped on a snake, I jumped, but then just stood there, because i had exactly no idea which way the snake went. lol
One other time I was walking to the dam at lake houston through jknee high grass, oyt of the corner of my I saw a snake comeing after me just as it struck, I jumped 3 times and it struck me 3 times, then it was gone as fast as it appeared. My friend that was behind me was rolling on the ground laughing so hard. He saw it and knew it was just a coachwhip, I never even got a good look at it. lol

woodbutcher
01-30-2017, 01:02 PM
:D Reminds me of an article that I read a few years ago.Customer kept hearing a hissing noise under the dash of his car Took it to the dealer to have it checked out.The hissing was cured when animal control removed an appx 7ft boa constrictor from the under dash area.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Blackwater
01-30-2017, 02:08 PM
If only he had thought to do that when ya'll was out having a meal at a restaurant... :)

I guarantee the results would have been the same. Reactions of that nature don't tend to take into consideration the surroundings! Once it was over, I could only laugh just as hard as my son was laughing. It was his first "practical joke" ever! I guess he got it from me, which is probably why my wife was so cold toward me for a while! Jokes DO have consequences, and they're often out of proportion to the original intent!

And Run, you have no idea how true that is! :mrgreen: Embarassing! But it is what it is .....

Blackwater
01-30-2017, 02:23 PM
When I was younger I would torment folks I worked with if I found out they were really afraid of snakes. This got me the chance to look down more than one barrel, and even the chance to duck and dodge live fire a few times.
One such time was a black guy running a scraper, I acted like I was going to throw a snake at him, he went right out thegate on the scraper to his car and returned with a 38. By that time I was up talking to the boss, and told him why he had left the jobsite on the scraper. He came up slowly makeing sure I didn't have a snake in my hands and stuck that 38 in my face, shaking so bad that chances were good he would have missed if I didn't move. I was laughing and ask him what the deal was, he wasn't afraid of a little grass snake was he. lol I will never forget his answer, he claimed he wouldn't even watch a snake on TV. lol

Wow! Now this one reminds me of the time Mom said she was going to Aunt Janie's for a while, and wanted to know if I wanted to go and hunt squirrels in the branch at her place. I had my gun in my hands nearly instantly, and we struck out. I didn't even go inside when we arrived, and headed straight to the branch with Dad's shotgun. I'd already shot all the 16 ga. shells I had, so had to take his. Got nearly to the branch on the sandy dirt road, and laying in the middle of the road was a 5.5' rat snake. I was one of the "Mr. Green Jeans" of my class, and laid the barrel across its neck. It was cold so the snake was sluggish and permitted it with little protest. Then I got it just behind the head, like I'd seen on TV and done a number of times before, and it curled up instantly around my nice, warm arm, which it seemed to be grateful for. I forgot squirrel hunting with my newfound "prize" that I intended to take to school (science lab/biology). So ... in I walked into Aunt Janie's house with that snake wrapped around my right forearm and Dad's shotgun in my left. You'd have thought the fox had gotten in and was running amok in the hen house!!!! The squawking and hollering and threats came faster than an ear could hear and discern them!!!! Them Mom came at me with a broom raised high, obviously intending to literally knock my block off! I just raised my hand and .... it was like showing a vampire a cross! She'd back away. I'd lower the snake, and she'd come at me with that broom, and I'd raise it and she'd fall back. We went on with that for a few cycles, and I finally found the courage to tell them that I'd take it outside and leave if they just didn't shoot me AND the snake! They reluctantly and warily agreed to let me go unscathed .... at least for the moment. So I cautiously backed out (I wasn't about to turn my back on a bunch of scared and incensed women! I wasn't THAT dumb!) and reluctantly let that snake go. It seemed the preferable thing to do instead of dying with it! Then I think I wisely went to the creek for a while to squirrel hunt, while I hoped they finally settled down enough to not be a threat to my life. It worked, but I think just barely. I heard about that all day long and some of the next. Mom told Dad about it, and he just raised his eyebrows, and asked me what I did with the snake. I told him I'd let it go, and he said, "Good. Those things are the best there is at catching mice, and Janie's got some there where she lives. I just hope she doesn't kill it. It'll do her a lot of good if she lets it live."

So I survived, but will NEVER do anything like that again. The reaction snakes elicit from women OR men can be .... rather dramatic! And fear can make folks do on the spur of a moment what they'd never do otherwise. I guess you could say I learned my lesson that day, and learned it pretty darn well, too! I'm just glad I survived it! My little "prize" nearly killed me, I think!

punch
01-30-2017, 02:32 PM
We were moving into old rock house 30 MI from town and our middle adult daughter was helping us.I was in wash room flat on my back when I heard blood curling scream coming from inside. I barked elbow and chins get inside where said daughter had bathroom door closed with both hands locked down on doorknob. Ma was inside bathroom beating on door to get out. Seems like they scraped a old carton off linen shelf into trash can and rat snake came with it. If a snake is around with them two you are on your own. Best give them lot a room.

MaryB
02-01-2017, 12:47 AM
I have a huge garter snake living in a hole in my foundation 2 feet from the front door. On cool days he lays on my concrete steps in the sun to warm up. We were having a rash of scam artists coming through town trying to steal money for work they did badly and one came to my door. I was watching and already had my pistol in my hand to tell him to get the hell out of town the cops are coming when he froze, looked down and there was a 4 foot snake 6 inches from his ankle hissing and rattling its tail. I opened the door and said "I see you met my friend, I suggest running and leaving town before you get bit" He took off screaming for his truck and made it a block before the sheriff got him. I had called them when I saw the truck pull into town and they happened to be only 5 miles out. These guys were wanted in 5 other counties for scamming people so I thought it was fitting! That little garter snake was harmless, I picked it up as he ran and offered to put it in his truck! I could hear him blubbering to the cop I threatened him with a snake, cop looked at me as I shrugged and he burst out laughing. He knows there are no poisonous snakes in my area!