PDA

View Full Version : Auction item to benefit Cast Boolits

Big Boomer
01-27-2017, 03:26 PM
When I first started smelting wheel weights some years back, I utilized a nice LODGE USA 8CF Dutch Oven (with lid) that was no longer being used. Of course, now that it has had lead smelted in it, it can no longer be used for food preparation. I would like to put the item up for auction to benefit the Cast Boolit web site, but before I do, what precautions must I take beyond merely stating that it cannot be used for cooking purposes? Your thoughts? Big Boomer

DerekP Houston
01-27-2017, 03:37 PM
I would assume if you put it for auction on here, it would be understood for lead melting purposes.

I'd add something like this to the bottom of your post if you are worried

Warning may contain lead! Do not use for cooking

OS OK
01-27-2017, 04:13 PM
When you ship it pack it in dried horse apples...they'll get the point . . . :bigsmyl2:

JimB..
01-27-2017, 04:53 PM
If you're paranoid then bust it up with a hammer and throw in the recycling. If you're just overly cautious then electropencil a warning on the side of it.

bedbugbilly
01-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Ahhhhhh . . . . . just put it up and sell it. I'd buy it to make stew in! Most of us are old farts and we coukd use a little more leas in our pencil!

Seriously . . . I'd just put it up and list that it is for smelting only due to have been used for that - make it clear that it isn't for preparing food. In reality . . . how do you even know what a used one has been previously used for? I've bought them at flea markets and it's "caveat emptor". At least on this site, most know what it's to be used for and if you clearly state that it isn't for food preparation. As stated, you could breakout up and throw it in recycle but that's a waste of a perfectly good pot that someone might really like to smelt with. It's your choice though.

runfiverun
01-27-2017, 09:41 PM
list it as what it is.
a melting pot that has been used as a melting pot for lead.

shipping will be the big deal.

Big Boomer
01-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the help. Big Boomer

Minerat
02-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Leave a couple of pounds of lead in it to seed it and list it with a warning.

Big Boomer
02-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Hey Minerat! That's the answer right there. Thanks! Only I don't want to waste a whole lot of good lead. I'll just leave a skin of pure lead in the bottom. That ought to do it. Big Boomer

Minerat
02-11-2017, 11:46 PM
Your welcome Boomer. Just enough to coat the bottom would work the same as 10 pounds.