PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wants to clean his mould

KirkD
06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I just had my first casting experience today and am a happy man. I actually did it. I have 90 nice 500 grain bullets for my Springfield Trapdoor. Now I need to clean the lead smears off my mould. Do I just use fine steel wool?

DLCTEX
06-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Steel mold or aluminum? I use a brass case to scrape off stubborn lead. You can be more agressive with a steel mold. Most lead smears will rub off a hot mold with the heavy gloves I wear when casting. I prevent most lead smears with Bullplate lube. DALE

billyb
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I just had my first casting experience today and am a happy man. I actually did it. I have 90 nice 500 grain bullets for my Springfield Trapdoor. Now I need to clean the lead smears off my mould. Do I just use fine steel wool?

one trick that works for me , get the mold up to casting temp, take a stick of bullet lube and tuch the end to the lead smear the pour molten lead over the smear then rub with a paper towel, may take a couple treatments but it will take the smear off. Bill

KirkD
06-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks, fellows. It is a steel mould. I just wanted to check before doing something that would ruin my spanking new SAECO mould. I tell you, I am happier than all get-out now that I've actually made my first batch of bullets. No more paying through the nose for bullets! I can make my own. My next project is to make some bullets for my vintage 38-40. All I need is a pair of RCBS mould handles, which I am ordering Monday.

XBT
06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
As Dale said, Bullplate lube used as directed will stop most lead smearing on the top of your mould. It is very good stuff and I strongly recommend it.

38 Super Auto
06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Bullplate sprue lube is definitely magic juice and highly recommended. You can use a brass bristled brush safely on steel molds.

I only get lead smears on my Lee Al molds. I don't get lead smears in steel molds with bullplate sprue lube.