PDA

View Full Version : My First Casting Adventure

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

I've been thinking about starting casting for years and finally took the plunge when I discovered my neighbor had access to free, used wheel weights (he manages a tire shop). I thought I'd update you all with my progress, and that you might be able to provide me some tips as we go...

To start off, I bought a stainless pot and electric side burner at Walmart for about $20. Started melting. Quickly realized that I have a hard time identifying zinc WW's, so I came and read more information here. Also realized it smells terrible--good thing I was outside!

It was cool and windy, so I had a hard time keeping my pot hot enough. Just the center would stay liquid. Finally got it all melted down and realized I think I'd rather just buy lead already processed :)

More to come...

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Picked up a Lee 95-RF mold to start off with my 380. Reason being, it's my carry-everywhere gun, and I wanted to come up with a light load for practice and pests. I have 38s and 45 Colts, but I thought I'd start here.

Anyway, I treated and heated my mold as I'd learned here, to try some ladle casting. Got everything hot and started pouring--this is exciting! Got some wrinkled noses, so I upped the speed (learned here, of course). Finally got some pretty darn good-looking specimens!

I noticed that I was having a hard time getting the bases to fill out nice and square. I researched that, here, and thought I might be running things too cool. Oddly enough, the bullets which have the best bases seem to be the ones with wrinkled noses? Hopefully someone can chime in and help me on that...

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
ANYway, I also made up some 45-45-10 (where did I learn that?), so once I had 50-70 bullets poured and my WW skimmed and clean, I cooled things down and lubed, lightly, and let them dry. Now it's time for the real test--shooting!

I've been reloading for along while, so I'm not as new to this part. But what I'm looking for is somewhat unique: I want a load that cycles 100%, but is as light as possible in order to remain SOMEWHAT hearing safer, should I want to shoot some pest or even do a little plinking in the field. Factory loads are FAR too loud.

I am using the fastest powder I have (Titewad), and shooting a P238. From previous 38 special experience, I started with 1.5 gr, then 1.6, then 1.7. Also, I topped the charge off with grits in order to take up air space and increase pressures without increasing powder (since this is a very light charge, far from max.)

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:15 PM
(Is the above picture showing up? My work computer won't display it)

I found that 1.5 gr would not cycle the gun 100%. 1.7 gr cycled, but seemed really loud. 1.6 grains cycles my gun and isn't TOO loud (doesn't ring the ears; I still use hearing protection whenever possible, though). It also does this to a 5/4 deck board:

And groups like this at 20 yards (3 shots):

Good enough, especially since it shoots almost to POA. Now we're getting somewhere! And, they look nice, too:

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:18 PM
I am having one issue, though. My barely filled-out bullets are coming out at .356, giving me little neck tension. If I get things hotter, should that help the bases fill out better? I have a lot of culls with thin, rounded bases, but I've also read that hotter lead makes smaller bullets.

In addition, I'd like to up my POI a few inches. Using less powder does that, however, it won't cycle the gun. I think I need to pick up another mold in the 120 gr range, which should raise my POI and cycle more effectively with the same light charges. I'll probably try the Lee 120 TC or the 125 RF.

Anyone need a barely-used Lee TL356-95 RF?

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Sorry for the post-overload, but I'm excited about casting and looking forward to my next session. I know, there is a lot of equipment that I need, but I want to go as minimalist and affordable as possible at first.

This is fun!

454PB
01-26-2017, 12:48 PM
It sounds like you have a heat source that is "barely" enough. You will have a tough time getting good results.

pka45
01-26-2017, 12:57 PM
True. And after some research, I bypassed the thermostat and then got much better results. I'll add a windscreen/insulation next time and I'm thinking it will work even better.

454PB
01-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Well the main thing is you're learning.....and having fun. Be careful bypassing a thermostat, bad things can happen.

OS OK
01-26-2017, 01:31 PM
You new fellas coming in without posting in the Avatar where you live are missing one of the advantages of being in this family...people in your State will often offer to help hands on...either at your house or at theirs.
Your starting with that minimalist approach with the electric heater...your making a frustrating job out of a pleasurable experience.

pka45
01-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks--I fixed my location.

I'm having fun this way, but thanks for the suggestion. If/when it gets frustrating, I guess that'll be my queue to upgrade!

jcren
01-26-2017, 01:41 PM
I run a lot of those in my wife's pk380 and my bersa. One thing to try is powder coating, works very well for those small slugs, adds a couple thousandths ( I size mine .358) and I love autocomp powder for that gun (only caliber I use it in) for good velocity with light recoil and realitivly mild report. 3.2 grains yields a chrono'd 880 fps clean and consistent.

OS OK
01-26-2017, 01:47 PM
There are 13 other members there around you in Virginia, it shouldn't be hard to hook up and see how to smelt in a very efficient way...one may come along shortly and offer.
Welcome aboard.

runfiverun
01-26-2017, 02:00 PM
with lead heat is your focus.
think of the alloy as heat.

heat makes lead flow better.
too much is bad.
heat keeps the mold warm.
rounded bases are one of two things.
not enough heat in that area.
or the air is not escaping as fast as your pouring the heat in.
both are related to the sprue plate.
it's not hot [pour more heat on top of it]
or it's not letting the air out quick enough [too tight affects one cavity[s] more than the others]
if it's just right you need to vent the mold.

I'm going with plate temperature.
pour more heat on that area.

pka45
01-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Thanks very much. If you can't tell already (by my casting equipment), I'm a big proponent of low-tech solutions!

Thumbcocker
01-26-2017, 03:06 PM
I would be very wary of any type of filler in so small a case. Very little room for error.

rancher1913
01-26-2017, 09:32 PM
just wait till you discover powder coating ;-)

pka45
01-26-2017, 09:33 PM
It's already on the radar!

foesgth
01-26-2017, 10:19 PM
When I started I tried to use your hot plate idea...it sucked. Lots of bad boolits. I then switched to my camping stove. That gave me great results. You have to keep lowering the flame as you use lead. Small boolits are harder to cast. I think I used the same lead for my first 5 tries at casting. If you got shootable boolits your initial try you are doing great!

pka45
01-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Yep, I can feel your pain! Thanks for the encouragement.

Soundguy
01-26-2017, 10:27 PM
I would be very wary of any type of filler in so small a case. Very little room for error.

Very much agreed, filler can up the pressure.

To the OP, get a roll of high tin content solder, unroll s couple feet and feed your mix.

Tin is casting friendly when chasing heat and fill out.

pka45
01-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the tip. As to the filler, that's the point. Since I am loading such an underpowered load (around half the max), I want to up the pressure, without adding more powder, to encourage the case to seal/expand and the slide to cycle. I would never add filler to any load from midrange or above.

OS OK
01-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Is your brass real dirty and smokey looking after it's fired?

pka45
01-27-2017, 09:24 AM
It is if I don't use the filler. With filler it cleans up much better.

pka45
01-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Update - just picked up 100# of pure lead for $80 off Craigslist. Will try mixing it with my WW lead, and maybe some solder wire. Hope to cook again this weekend!

pka45
01-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Did a lot more bullets this afternoon and got them filled out much better. Last time I think my sprue plate was too tight in addition to lead not being hot enough, not venting well. For 2 hours of ladle casting, I was really happy!

Soundguy
01-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Those look real nice!