PDA

View Full Version : CFE-BLK Hogdons new powder

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
well I picked up a 300 blk upper for Christmas after a friend told me how impressed he was with his 16 inch carbine during deer season he took 2 deer at about 80 yards with the nosler varmagedon 125gr rounds both were very fast kills with nice exit wounds

I also thought hey an AR round that I could cast for and even have a few molds for already

so when I was reading about his new powder and started to see loads I was noticing how low the pressure was a 150gr jacketed bullet at max load was 1940 fps and only 33,500psi the starting load was only 26,000psi

these seemed like cast bullet friendly speeds and pressures

the powder is cool in that it does supers to subs all in one powder with case fill in anything supersonic

it isn't the powder that gives the highest velocity although book is about 150fps behind littlegun that gives the highest velocity

has anyone else gotten any of this powder? i picked up a pound , I had asked my local shop owner if he could get any when it came out Jan 1 or whenever he could after that, he called me Saturday it was in , my dies should be here this week , so it will be time to make up some rounds and see how it works , then I can start making up some cast rounds and see how they work.
I am really hopfull that I can find a good cast load that keeps me shooting on the cheap with the 300blk

TXGunNut
01-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Sounds like you (and Hodgdon) have done your homework. Hope it works out for you, sounds very promising!

Texas by God
01-24-2017, 12:26 AM
I love CFE 223 so this has me interested. You will love the little BO. I shoot mine twice as much as my 5.56 AR. Jackets and cast- it works great with both. And I don't even do subsonic so there's even more fun to be had. Best, Thomas.

runfiverun
01-24-2017, 12:39 AM
compare it to 1680 and 4198

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-24-2017, 11:09 AM
1680 data http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/300_ACC_Blackout_Data.pdf

1680 didn't have 110 v-max data

the 125 Nos B tip is in both data
max load for cfe blk 20.0gr compressed Vel 1945fps pressure 26,500psi
max load for 1680 21.5gr Vel 2126 pressure 39,257

I have a pound dies are on the way , it just looks very promising on paper , I will let you know when I get some loads worked up , I bought some Hornady 110 vmax and some 110 hornady soft points them my goal is to find something to shoot with them both and see If I really need to spend the extra money on the V-max or if just a soft point witll do what I want it to .

while I am waiting for a soft target to make it's self available like the chicken thief i got to try some factory ammo on this last Saturday.

I will start working on Cast I have a 90gr Lee swc that might be interesting powder coated some 170gr Lee c309-170rf I popped on of these in an empty case it loads in a mag and feeds so I am curios to see what it will take to have it cycle and get reasonable groups that could be a lot of fun I load that in 30-30 and it makes for a fun round to knock around steel plates at 100 yards on the cheap.
I also have a 200gr that might make an interesting sub , I don't have a suppressor so subs are not really my goal.
I might buy some

Texas by God
01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
I will quit calling it the BO. Just now reminded me of you- know-who and I threw up in my mouth a little bit....

runfiverun
01-24-2017, 06:50 PM
with the 110's I think H-110 and the 2400 powders will get you some good speed.
I like the nosler 110 varmageddon's on top of 17.5grs of accurate 4100. [ram shot enforcer]
the hornady's run right there with them and the V-max is just a tick more accurate then the SP.
it's like having a double 22 hornet.
minute of yote to 200 yds is not a problem, minute of rabbit ain't either.

BlackoutBuilder
01-25-2017, 02:00 PM
I will quit calling it the BO. Just now reminded me of you- know-who and I threw up in my mouth a little bit....

CFE BLK. Always makes me think of black coffee. :coffeecom

This guy on youtube does some really in depth 300 BLK stuff, and just released 5 or 6 videos using CFE BLK

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7ZytKrmCQnRp9LXXxinJQ

Check it out.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-25-2017, 11:56 PM
CFE BLK. Always makes me think of black coffee. :coffeecom

This guy on youtube does some really in depth 300 BLK stuff, and just released 5 or 6 videos using CFE BLK

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7ZytKrmCQnRp9LXXxinJQ

Check it out.

yup , watched most of those , in one he takes the OAL out with the 125gr bullet but not with the 110 I was wondering if he could stuff a little more powder under it and how that would shoot

the dies got here today , I set up a lee auto drum I picked up to measure the CFE BLK just in finding where I wanted to start for charge weight 3 charges would all make the beam scale sit in the same spot so the consistency is great metering.

I need to convince the wife I need to stop by harbor freight Friday evening and buy a mini chop saw , my brother has a 3d printer and is printing me a jig to cut down 223 I ordered the quick trim die when I ordered the die set

that quick trim system is mighty handy , been using it on 223 , simple as put the case in the press and squeeze the trigger on the coordless drill , I know cordless drills go to fast , I run it in first gear and only give it half or so as to not go to fast it is working well just remember to grease the spindle.

maybe Saturday or Sunday I can get out to the range and empty some of these factory loads and get sighted in

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-26-2017, 11:51 AM
I made up a few tests , Hogdon puts the O.A.L at 2.050 but I only need to seat them to 2.090 to fill the neck with bullet , and the chamber is plenty big to take them like that they are an easy fit in the magazine they show loads with heavier bullets run out to 2.260 , I am not sure why they call for 2.050 it would seem just filling the neck with bullet would be good

on an already compressed load of 23.7 I think 24 or more will be doable with the longer seating length , but walk first and work up is for later.

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 07:18 PM
I tossed the quick trim dies, couldnt get consistency with 'em. I've got a Lyman lathe style trimmer, and keep a cutter and shaft for each caliber. I "bedded" the adjuster thingys with Devcon Epoxy so I dont have to worry about settings. A cordless drill does the grunt work.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-27-2017, 01:12 AM
i tried making some brass today.

I would take a cable cutters cut the neck and most of the shoulder off a 223 case then open the mouth up some then run it in the full lenght sizing die then trim the excess with the lee quick trim

yeah that was really to much for it , after 10 cases cases just started spinning in the quick trim 300blk die

it's a trimmer not a cut .100 off the end

I will pick up the mini chops saw tomorrow when I am driving through Madison I found a 20% off super coupon for HF today.

with a clean cut end run in the die I should be back to trimming a little bit .like .010 even .025 would be a lot easier on the trimmer.

BlackoutBuilder
01-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Check out this jig

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80842

bkbville
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
At this point the commercial brass is readily available... I should sell the jig i bought...

rda72927
01-27-2017, 10:47 AM
I made my first 100 rounds of 300 BLK, then found I could buy it around 10 cents a case.. My time is worth more.. There are MANY folks reforming 223 to 300 BLKO. Just buy it and be happier shooting..

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-27-2017, 12:04 PM
this is the jig we are printing , I should have it tonight , along with the saw http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1705909

I could buy it , then again I could just buy jacketed or even just buy loaded ammo , but if I was always the happiest just buying things I might not be here on Castboolits. even if I do end up buying some some of it is just the journey , and not the destination.

if you haven't played 3d printer yet it is kind of cool , I designed a few things now , I learned drafting pre-autocad so but my little brother learned on auto cad and worked with it for some time

we are using Autodesk Fusion 360 it has a collaborative mode so I can start something and when I get stuck on how to do the next step I can explain it to him and he can do it or tell me. there are also a lot of you-tube videos explaining how to do things

I designed a sling mount to go in a MOE hand-guard , I bought some black PLA to print that in but that is a post for another time. the parts cost their weight in plastic so a small part like a sling mount is maybe 25 cents in material.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-07-2017, 05:35 PM
bringing my old post back to life , It took me a while to actually get the little saw , the wife had other plans the night I was planning to run an get the saw.

I did work up some loads and found 22.5gr was almost case fill in my cases , so I ran with it , the reason the other bullets can seat longer is less powder goes under them using the suggested starting load I was shooting hundred yard groups just about 1.25 inches with the hornady v-max 110 and 1.75 with the speer hot-cor 110 sp I only had a 2-7 scope and was running mixed cut down brass but it seemed good enough at the time

then I got started on a 223 load project for a known distance class I took over the summer I got some great data on that load back to 500 yards while I was there my home club range is only 200max and when no one else is around so I found a solid 100 yard group about a minute and confirmed it was a minute or better at 200 and it was still about a minute at 400 being mostly vertically strung but you could cover the group of 10 I shot off a bipod at 400 with a dollar bill

but I didn't get back to the 300bo project till now I am loading up more of each and settling on a zero distance then confirming my data for hold over back to 200 yards for sure I would like to see what I can hit farther but that is for later

as are cast bullet loads I need to get together a solid hunting load over the next 2 months then cast loads

anyone gained any new experience with CFE-BLK while I was otherwise occupied.