PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on a programming project

7br
01-22-2017, 03:17 PM
One of the ideas I have kicked around is writing a reloading log book. I hope to relocate sometime in the first half of this year and want to get back into the swing of writing java. I am currently working on the portion that will evaluate targets. The basic idea is that you scan your target to your harddrive, start your reloading log book application, open the target image, mouse click on the corners of your target establish scale, click on the aiming point on your target, the click on each of the bullet holes. The program then would calculate the size of the group, the dispersion of the group, etc.

Eventually, I would like the program to keep track of what the load was, etc. If anyone is interested in providing input, drop me a pm or an email.

Thanks,

Moonie
01-22-2017, 04:56 PM
I was until you said Java.

fred2892
01-22-2017, 05:32 PM
The app for the caldwell ballistic chronograph does everything you have mentioned and more including lat/long location, barometric pressure etc. etc. etc.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

SciFiJim
01-22-2017, 09:01 PM
There is also a program called OnTarget.

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/index.html

Not saying you shouldn't. If you like to program, the effort is the reward. I would like to see it when you are done. I am always interested in something new. Maybe your interpretation will be the next best mouse trap.

MUSTANG
01-22-2017, 10:23 PM
7BR:

I've been using "On Target" for the last 10 years. If I can be of help, or you need an independent BETA evaluator, or just want to bounce an idea/s drop me a PM.

7br
01-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Mustang, I will take you up on your offer. Will be a few weeks. I haven't worked with java for a couple of years and need to get back into it.

bearcove
01-23-2017, 08:39 PM
I use a pencil and a ruler. Works great!

7br
05-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Well, did a little work on it. It is available at https://github.com/MarkBarb/ReloadingLog . If you are interested, drop me a pm and I will explain it. Not any documentation on it out there yet.

Nose Dive
05-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Hmmm my Java is as good as my French. Both...well...not very good.

Suggest this site to read and learn some things about ballistic items and computer aided shooting. They have helped me.

https://www.snipershide.com/

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

prsman23
05-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Following you on GitHub now. I like the idea. Why java? What do you normally write in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7br
05-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Following you on GitHub now. I like the idea. Why java? What do you normally write in?

I write in whatever I need to, but java is what I like. I just finished up a contract with the State of Kansas using PHP/JQuery for the last two years and I was wanting to brush up on my java for my jobsearch in Missouri. I am going to put out a PHP/JQuery repository for helping with running a county fair tomorrow morning. Just have the bare bones on that one going. I need to include a target for the TargetEvaluator. The default witness points are for a target I pulled off of the internet that is copyrighted. I was at the range yesterday. I was able to use the app by looking through my spotting scope and clicking on displayed target. I need to write a manual on how to use it.

prsman23
05-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Cool. I'm up in STL lots of java work up here. You in sw mo?

7br
05-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Yup, about half an hour north of Springfield