PDA

View Full Version : Had to bite my tounge at the range

Thumbcocker
01-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Yesterday Mrs. Thumbcocker and I did our weekly range trip. We went to the 100 yard range to try some .357 loads on cans at distance. There was a shooter on the range setting up. A while later a min-van pulls up with Dad, Mom, and two very cute little girls. I would put their ages at 6 and 4. Both girls were equipped with hearing protection and safety glasses. It became apparent that the older shooter was Grandpa. It had all the makings of a great family outing. Grandpa pulled out a DCM case with an M1 in it and I commented on his rifle. The family had forgotten their clay pigeons so I offered some balloons (I try to keep a package of balloons in the range bag. New shooter love popping balloons and success builds enthusiasm).

The girls were going to be shooting a youth size .22 semi-auto with a scope. Mom returned with clay birds which Grandpa put on the 50 yard berm. Grandpa had a rifle rest that held the .22 front and back and was tall enough for the girls to shoot standing up. The oldest girl was obviously excited about the whole process and eager to please her parents and Grandpa. Things went downhill fast. The girl was unable to get a full field of view in the scope (the stock was too long for her) Grandpa was trying to explain that she needed to move her head to get a full field of view. Then Mom and Dad began trying to explain to the girl about moving her head on the stock. So this little girl finds herself surrounded by the three most important adults in her life all talking at once and trying to explain how she needed to move her head around to see the clay bird on the 50 yard berm.

Grandpa starts getting frustrated and using an increasingly firm tone of voice. The little girl gets frustrated because she can't do what the adults want her to do. It gets worse. After 15 or 20 minutes (6 year old attention span to consider) the little girl , still surrounded by 3 adults, starts to cry. Grandpa them pulls out a tissue and wipes her tears and says "Stop crying. Life is hard get over it." We are standing a few benches over just watching the whole thing. I hope we were not watching the birth of a life long anti-gun person. It was just really sad to see the little girls enthusiasm turn into tears. Her yonger sister had her head buried in Mom's shoulder while she held her. It is probably better that we left.

Taylor
01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
I think they forgot,that they were little girls.

Love Life
01-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Sounds like grandpa is a douche who got stuffed in lockers in high school.

Bent Ramrod
01-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Rifle ranges seem to bring out "The D.I." in some people. That is a shame, though. Little girls have the potential to grow up and outshoot men, if they're not bamboozled into thinking that it's impossible for them, or that they will get Bubba-ized and lose their femininity if they seriously try.

OS OK
01-22-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm quite sure that wasn't the first time Grumps showed his butt with the Grandkids...smart little ones they are...he was the looser that day and the looser in the long run.

It's too bad you didn't have a chop saw in your truck...you coulda had some meaningful input before you left!

44man
01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
I seen the problem right off. Gramps gave the wrong instructions. The girl was closing one eye and could not find the target.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
01-22-2017, 12:08 PM
"It's too bad you didn't have a chop saw in your truck...you coulda had some meaningful input before you left!"

I sure would like to meet you some day,just love your attitude :drinks:.

Love Life
01-22-2017, 12:09 PM
I would have started her on iron sights anyway, and would have gotten her a youth model gun just for her. Get the fundamentals instilled in her first and then move up. Brilliance in the basics.

Plate plinker
01-22-2017, 12:12 PM
I would have started her on iron sights anyway, and would have gotten her a youth model gun just for her. Get the fundamentals instilled in her first and then move up. Brilliance in the basics.

Right on. I know people who have had kids fire large guns out of the gate. What disastrous mistake, all that does is build the flinching and trigger jerking, which is so hard to break.

Tackleberry41
01-22-2017, 12:14 PM
I bought my 8yo one of the little Cricket rifles, its hard for me to even shoot, but he has issues with adult sized weapons. No scope, its best to start with the basics.

Love Life
01-22-2017, 12:24 PM
I bought my 8yo one of the little Cricket rifles, its hard for me to even shoot, but he has issues with adult sized weapons. No scope, its best to start with the basics.

I bought one for each of my children. My daughter wasn't big enough to shoot it until she was 7 years old. If I waited for her to be large enough to shoot a full size rifle comfortably, I'd have to wait until she was a teenager. I want her to enjoy shooting and be proficient. I won't get that by beating her up with a to large rifle, berating her like a recruit, or setting her up with a rifle she can't shoot accurately due to size.

rockrat
01-22-2017, 12:25 PM
And now the little girls will never want to go to the range and shoot

OS OK
01-22-2017, 12:30 PM
"It's too bad you didn't have a chop saw in your truck...you coulda had some meaningful input before you left!"

I sure would like to meet you some day,just love your attitude :drinks:.

My avatar says Kalifornia but don't be fooled...I grew up outside of Houston Texas, raised by a WWII Pacific veteran and County Sheriff...I will always be a Texican at heart...we Texicans do things a little more direct than most...we tend to meet the problem head on. We call a spade a spade and stand up straight and tall, in character, mind and spirit.
If you can't reason with a problem like a Southern Gentleman, well...move on to plan 'B'..."Stomp it into submission!"

"Nice to meet you Buckeye...I'm sure we'd get along fabulously!"

charlie irby

runfiverun
01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
we didn't have the kid sized rifles and my kids didn't benefit from them either.
they did benefit from the band saw and some wood dowels.
I bought some older rifles and chopped them down to size.
I added back about 1/2" of the stock at a time as they grew.
except littlegirls, we lost part of her buttstock when we moved so she still has a 3/4 length rifle stock.
she still shoots it that way as an adult.

merlin101
01-22-2017, 12:41 PM
And do it ONE kid at a time, one on one! That way all of your attention is dedicated to one person and not divided and only one person is the instructor. Then to top off a special memory day stop on the way home for ice cream , once again just you and a very special and happy child!

OS OK
01-22-2017, 12:43 PM
You fellas remember the 'Stevens Favorite'?
That's what I started all my kids on...still have it in the safe...every time I notice it, it takes me on a journey of a thousand camping trips and prolly a million .22's.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-22-2017, 12:43 PM
This talk about segmented stocks and chop saws is enough to give an old gunsmith nightmares........:shock:

Love Life
01-22-2017, 12:49 PM
we didn't have the kid sized rifles

Is this because of your age...[smilie=1:

If I understand correctly, you used the dowels and pieces of the buttstock as a spacer system? Like on a Mcmillan stock? Very neat idea!!

Ithaca Gunner
01-22-2017, 01:00 PM
I think those girls would have been better off with iron sights and some proper instruction. That's how I learned, from dad, mom, and a WWI Veteran uncle. I didn't have a scope on a rifle until I was in my 20's.

dragon813gt
01-22-2017, 01:05 PM
I started my step daughter on a Rossi matched pair. The rifle fit her but even at age 8 she could not cock the hammer one handed. This wasn't a big deal because I would cock it for her and she could concentrate on the fundamentals. Moved her up from there. Now she has own AR that she built w/ my guidance.

As a side note. The Rossi matched pair comes w/ a 20ga barrel. Shooting this as an adult is really painful. It's also no fun to fire "from the hip". No clue how I didn't break some fingers.

10x
01-22-2017, 01:14 PM
That's what I started all my kids on...still have it in the safe...every time I notice it, it takes me on a journey of a thousand camping trips ? and prolly a million .22's.

You too? The little Stevens Favorite is my children's most memorable gun. They all want it passed on to each of them.
A brick of 500 was a day of shooting at the range for my oldest when he was 6

WILCO
01-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Had to bite my tounge at the range

Great job! Imagine how better off our country would be if everybody just minded their own business?

OS OK
01-22-2017, 02:18 PM
You too? The little Stevens Favorite is my children's most memorable gun. They all want it passed on to each of them.
A brick of 500 was a day of shooting at the range for my oldest when he was 6

Yes, we too. I had a wonderful time of moving them along from platform to platform...it wasn't too long until they had favorites on those camping trips, the SAA .45 Colt and the Smith target model .38 Special. You can imagine how many rounds of ammo they'd go through in a couple of days.
That brings another picture to mind, during the week and after school...seeing them lined up down the loading bench sitting on tall stools together as we replenished those empty cases on my old Rock Chucker.

Oh...the memories are precious and dear...I hope ole Grumps figures this out before it's too late for him.

JSnover
01-22-2017, 02:29 PM
The nearest outdoor range for me has ROs, rules, instructors, etc. A few people have commented that it's too strict but when you're dealing with customers who are pretty near clueless it alleviates a lot of problems.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2017, 02:47 PM
I got both boys started, around age 5 for each, with my Single Six. They could handle it OK and it teaches muzzle control like no other.

quilbilly
01-22-2017, 02:55 PM
I bought one for each of my children. My daughter wasn't big enough to shoot it until she was 7 years old. If I waited for her to be large enough to shoot a full size rifle comfortably, I'd have to wait until she was a teenager. I want her to enjoy shooting and be proficient. I won't get that by beating her up with a to large rifle, berating her like a recruit, or setting her up with a rifle she can't shoot accurately due to size.
The same is true for teaching the little ones to fish. Take them to a place where they can run around and play while they learn and give them equipment that is their size. Don't force them and allow for the short attention span. Leave them with the memory of having fun and they will love shooting and fishing for life.

w5pv
01-22-2017, 03:11 PM
The memory of having fun will never be forgotten and the otherside will not be forgottent,let the young one be young ones

frkelly74
01-22-2017, 03:17 PM
The crickett single shot 22 rifles can be had for less that $100 at walmart. They are the perfect size for 3 to 4 foot tall kiddos. We got the CCI quiet ammo to start with because they are so mild that it is unlikely to be a scarey thing to shoot. You will need ear protectors though, especially if you try regular 22 ammo. The 16" barrel is noisy to shoot. We have one in pink and one in black.

Hickory
01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
When my son was 5 years old he was ready to shoot. Because I had no youth type rifles, I decided that my single-six would be the best choice.
Even though it was big for his hands to hold well, he did OK.
That Christmas and which was his birthday I wrapped a new Ruger Bearcat and put it under the tree for him.
He loved it from the moment he realized what it was and it fit his 6 year old hand and before warm weather came around he was a fair shot at 25 feet. He has told me many times that it's one gun he'll never get rid of.

Teddy (punchie)
01-22-2017, 03:25 PM
My girls started a 8 and only just to shoot. Make noise and learn that these are firearms, guns a weapon if you will. and safety

AT this age (8) they shot 410., 20 and 12 gauges. Plus a few pistols and a number of rifles.

We are now 10 and getting to be of the size where I think they can enjoy going to shoot. In no way will it be a target lesson at first. I'll have a shotgun and small rifle , maybe a BB gun to shot balloons . One shooter at a time and after they learn all the safety and are able to shoot and fit the guns a little better then worry about hitting and then hunting.

The small guns I don't care for. We already have there rifle 25 cal. and if they should not like to hunt then maybe there husbands will have a chance. Got a deal on a 512 rem this year got it just for them to have.

Plan is to shoot on weekends maybe Sunday afternoon. clay birds, target, cans, where ever and hows ever is Safe and fun.

Then to teach them to reload. o boy

osteodoc08
01-22-2017, 04:48 PM
My avatar says Kalifornia but don't be fooled...I grew up outside of Houston Texas, raised by a WWII Pacific veteran and County Sheriff...I will always be a Texican at heart...we Texicans do things a little more direct than most...we tend to meet the problem head on. We call a spade a spade and stand up straight and tall, in character, mind and spirit.
If you can't reason with a problem like a Southern Gentleman, well...move on to plan 'B'..."Stomp it into submission!"

"Nice to meet you Buckeye...I'm sure we'd get along fabulously!"

charlie irby

It says Nothern Kalifornistan. Dad was from/grew up in shingletown, CA. I know that you Northern Kali folks are ok.

osteodoc08
01-22-2017, 04:54 PM
My daughter is actually a mighty fine shot for her age. I started her out on a Savage Rascal with shorts. She tears the cans up within 15 yards off hand. She wanted to try my AR so I put w cheap red dot on a Smith 15-22 and she is working on her first deer rifle in a few years.

I let her carry her Rascal when we go squirrel hunting. Unloaded. If we see one, I help her load it and she gets first shot.

DerekP Houston
01-22-2017, 05:00 PM
That's what I started all my kids on...still have it in the safe...every time I notice it, it takes me on a journey of a thousand camping trips and prolly a million .22's.

I have a marlin, but I just noticed mine are all full sized stocks too. I think I'll do a little shopping next month and add this to the collection for my son. Thanks for the reminder!

fatelk
01-22-2017, 05:07 PM
The same is true for teaching the little ones to fish. Take them to a place where they can run around and play while they learn and give them equipment that is their size. Don't force them and allow for the short attention span. Leave them with the memory of having fun and they will love shooting and fishing for life.

I totally agree, teaching kids shooting and fishing isn't boot camp or a training class. First time shooting for my kids is really just me holding the gun and them pulling the trigger to make some noise and get an idea of what a gun is, along with a big dose of safety instruction. If you don't have a good measure of patience, you probably shouldn't be trying to teach kids.

My 10yo son has Grandpa's Favorite that's been in the family for a few generations. I did some research and found that it dates from around the turn of the century (the previous one). The only problem is that it's chambered in .25 Stevens Long rimfire. At one time I did all the research to have the bore lined to .22lr (the .25 bore is very, very bad so it's really no loss), but it would cost more than a new rifle so I never had it done.

OS OK
01-22-2017, 05:11 PM
I have a marlin, but I just noticed mine are all full sized stocks too. I think I'll do a little shopping next month and add this to the collection for my son. Thanks for the reminder!

Welcome Derek...long time no hear nor seeya. That little Stevens with the octagon barrel is a classic little single shot, you and the kids will love it.

charlie

OS OK
01-22-2017, 05:15 PM
It says Nothern Kalifornistan. Dad was from/grew up in shingletown, CA. I know that you Northern Kali folks are ok.

If things go like some have been planning we may end up in the State of Jefferson if we split off from SoCal and form up the 51'st state. Could be I'll have to proudly change the Avatar.
Could be too that the President has something special up his sleeve to calm these pesky little critters around here...the fight is just starting and it oughta be a good one.

Love Life
01-22-2017, 05:24 PM

Very good advice!!

Before we ever hit the range, I taught my daughter he 4 weapons safety rules. Once she could repeat them good enough, I taught her sight picture and sight alignment. I used print outs.

Then it was just dry fire and position practice, and only for as long as she wanted. Sometimes she wanted to practice for 30 minutes, some times for 2 minutes, lol.

She is the same way when shooting. Sometimes she will shoot for 10 minutes, and other times she'll shoot for an hour. I had a friend make her some silhouettes out of AR500 steel in the shape of the standard silhouette animals, and some zombie and monster shapes. She does a decent job of clearing the line at 50 yards!! The only part she is really "Ugh" about is before she can move to silhouettes is that she has to shoot 2 five shot groups at both 25 and 50 yards for score. Pings are satisfying, but being able to track progress with hard numbers is equally as good.

Afterwards we always stop for lunch. It amazes me what a 7 year old knows and comes up with when you just sit and talk to them, lol.

Rufus Krile
01-22-2017, 05:46 PM
We raised our girls shooting small bore silhouette, starting with them just watching. Then some open sight work with a board and washer/nail setup. Then BB guns, a Chipmunk, a Remington 581(cut down), an Anschutz Woodchuck, and from there on to multiple Anschutz products. They were not allowed to compete until they were 12yrs old just because of safety related motor skills, but made up time pretty quickly after that. They are now in their mid-30's with their own urchins about to restart the cycle. Life is good.

44man
01-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Funny you ignored my post. Scopes take both eyes to get on target. I can put a sparrow in the scope flying across the yard with a 24X scope. Deer hunters can't find a deer. You need both eyes. I would hand my dad a rifle with a scope to see the moon and he looked all over and was 180° off.
It's OK, nobody listens anyway.
Fit counts but it is a point only. I bet none of you can pick up a running deer in the brush. You look at the target with both eyes and put the scope to your eye. Amazing isn't it?
Most of you LOSE!

osteodoc08
01-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Funny you ignored my post. Scopes take both eyes to get on target. I can put a sparrow in the scope flying across the yard with a 24X scope. Deer hunters can't find a deer. You need both eyes. I would hand my dad a rifle with a scope to see the moon and he looked all over and was 180° off.
Fit counts but it is a point only. I bet none of you can pick up a running deer in the brush. You look at the target with both eyes and put the scope to your eye. Amazing isn't it?
Most of you LOSE!

I did notice your comment. Matter of fact, I keep both my eyes open most the time. All the "tacticool" guys call it the Bindon aiming concept. But point well taken and I'll remind my daughter and sons when they start using scopes.

Perhaps we could, as a group, exercise this patience with new casters as well. Not saying anyone doesnt, but this is a reminder to us as casters to welcome others into the fold and patiently help them with their start

Skunk1
01-22-2017, 07:23 PM
It's easy to do when they are young. When mine were young, it was one at a time, by myself til they got safe enough to do on their own.

Hick
01-22-2017, 07:33 PM
People sometimes forget that kids see things differently, and don't respond to the same directions as adults. I have a mildly autistic grandson. The first time I took him to the range I let him shoot my 22LR-- which has a peep sight. He just simply could not understand how to use the peep sight. So-- I let him shoot anyway (he wasn't hitting anything). Suddenly, after 20 or so rounds, he began to hit the bull on every shot. I asked him what he was doing and he explained that the thing on the back of the rifle had a hole in it and he had to look through the hole to hit the target! The thing was, some kids like him are largely normal, but they don't necessarily think the way you might expect. My explanation of the peep sight didn't make sense to the way he thinks-- but once he discovered the peep sight he figured out how to use it.

OS OK
01-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Hick...if you can continue to figure out these little nuances of communication with him you will be a huge advantage to his advancement.
Looks like you need to learn to see the world through his little eyes first.
That ought be huge!

Just having him explain to you how he does something...that's going to make him a great communicator...giving you all the back engineering you need to communicate with his own personal conception of the world around him...

Texas by God
01-22-2017, 07:56 PM
I've taught many a kid (and adult) to shoot. One on one and the parents/ spouse/ friends sit down over there behind us & visit with my wife who explains how a neutral adult is the best teacher. The Rossi Matched Pair .22 & .410 with a soft pad is perfect for this. Best, Thomas.

Love Life
01-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Most of you LOSE!

Who ignored your post?

Multigunner
01-22-2017, 08:25 PM
The good old Daisy BB gun and popping off at paper plates or aluminum pie pans at 30 foot or so is probably the best teaching aid for youngsters with no previous firearms experience at all.
The little lever action BB guns are weak shooters but that's not such a bad thing when it comes to younger kids. Some of the low end pellet guns have in the past caused fatal injuries.
Eye protection is a must of course, more so with BB guns than any other gun. Its amazing how much energy a steel BB retains after bouncing off any hard object.
They do now sell soft metal BBs that deform on impact with anything, hard greatly reducing the likelihood of a BB bouncing back.
Some reasonably priced airsoft guns are in the same power range as a low end BB gun, and with hop up often more accurate.
I bought a used Airsoft spring piston sniper rifle replica from the neighbor's son and found it every bit as accurate perhaps more so as the best of common BB guns. Actually penetrated aluminum cans very nicely as well which some low end BB guns won't. Decent scope as well.

I figure first a weak BB gun, then a low end BB/pellet gun like the Crosman 760 which allows the shooter their choice of velocity, then a decent medium quality accurate and hard shooting pellet gun, and from there step up to the .22 rimfire, first with CB caps then with full power shorts or long rifle ammo.

One thing about starting off with airguns is they are often a lot less easy to load, especially the multipump pellet guns. The more work there is in loading the more the young shooter is interested in making each shot count.

Thumbcocker
01-22-2017, 08:32 PM
We used a Chipmunk with CB caps on balloons at about 15 feet to start our daughter. She liked to sit in my lap as I sat cross legged on the ground. Then we moved on to soda cans with cb caps. The peep and post worked very well.

Bullwolf
01-22-2017, 08:35 PM
I've had a couple of Marlin model 60's in my time. Enough to have a few cast off stocks laying around still.

When my best friend's daughter first began shooting, his Model 60 was simply too long for her arms.

I cut a few inches off the butt of one of my cast off wooden stocks for her. Applied a dab of wood stain, and a little Tru-Oil on the butt stock... And she had her own perfect fit stock.

She outgrew the shortened wood stock pretty quick. (Kid's grow like weeds) Now the factory stock fits her just fine, and is back on the rifle.

She really loved to shoot water balloons!

- Bullwolf

flyingmonkey35
01-22-2017, 08:52 PM
I teach a very important rule when doing range safety for new club members.

You are their to instruct and keep your party safe. NOT TO SHOOT.

If grandpa foucsed on the girls having a good time. And not over his shooting. They would have had. Positive experience.

So lesson here don't pull out your gun untill the kids are done. Or other shooters.

Or go buy yourself or with other experienced shooters.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

44man
01-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Who ignored your post?
Actually, everyone. You look with both eyes and put the scope to your eye. Doesn't matter if the picture is not full.
To cut a stock to fit a small person is right of course. But the primary cause of not finding the target is closing the other eye.
Follow the thread and nobody mentions it. Opens are brought in, not the same. Yet both eyes are best.
You see what I say but did not post agreement.
It is OK, I will have the answer and a post will run years of wrong. I am correct about a scope but it was danced around for chop saws.
I have a reason to be upset. To not see wrong and lose a new shooter hurts big time. I would have gone over and given all I could for the little girl. step back Gramps. In minutes I will have the girl in love with shooting.
Keep reading and you will never see what I said.

daloper
01-23-2017, 01:42 PM
I started my grand daughter this last summer on a single shot bolt action Chipmunk that I borrowed from my brother. Looking forward to having her come up to shoot this summer. She had a blast breaking clay targets. Hope to have a better bench set up for her this year.

Blackwater
01-23-2017, 03:03 PM
The ways of the world have resulted in SO many now, who EXPECT instant results, and who have NO patience, and NO ability to really teach kids at all. And look what that has wrought. You can see it all around us every day. I too was once impatient much of the time, but when it came to teaching my son, or training a new employee, we know going into it that it's going to take some of our time to do it. So I've never gotten too "pushy" or impatient, and never gotten overly critical. One needs to learn to teach in the same manner he'd like and appreciate being taught by. Asking questions is the best route to that, oftentimes. Can't see through the scope. Ask them why that is. Let THEM figure it out. Then, they'll remember and utilize it naturally and fluidly as they go along. Teaching is helping folks discover things for themselves, usually, except for the parts where you just familiarize the student(s) with the technical stuff, like "the bullets come out this end, so we NEVER point that end at ANYBODY at any time," etc.

We wonder why our nation is in the shape it's in???? Look around. I think the reasons are all around us, every day we draw breath. I think if I'd been there, I'd have taken the grandpa aside, and just humbly and in the lowest key possible, told him what I'd found to work. It might or might not have made a difference, and these days, my money would be on "not," but .... sometimes you've just got to cast your bread, whether it winds up eaten or not.

Stories like this are always real "downers," but .... there's a new hope, a new attitude and a new basis for it all, and maybe, just maybe, at least some of this might actually change now. Simple attitude and mood have a MUCH bigger effect on all of us here in this nation, than we often care to admit. We can only hope.

fatelk
01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
I didn't ignore your post 44man. I didn't reply to it, but did take it as good advice. When I take my kids to the range, they have at times struggled to find the target in the scope, and I guess I never thought to tell them to keep both eyes open. I will in the future. Thank you.

The very first time or two using the scope they had trouble seeing through the scope at all, not realizing that they have to line their eye up with the tube. A little patient coaching and they figured it out.

ole 5 hole group
01-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Actually, everyone. You look with both eyes and put the scope to your eye. Doesn't matter if the picture is not full.
To cut a stock to fit a small person is right of course. But the primary cause of not finding the target is closing the other eye.
Follow the thread and nobody mentions it. Opens are brought in, not the same. Yet both eyes are best.

WILCO gave the best advice IMHO but I didn't post.

Jim - why should anyone mention it or agree with you in a post? The way you're treating this is; since rarely does anyone post a +1, +2 you would assume no one agrees with your post or anyone else's???. That's wrong, I would hazard a guess that most of us shoot with both eyes open whether irons or scope - no need to repeat what you posted - now if you post something that is just plain wrong - ya, expect to hear a lot about that post.:D

I was taught to shoot every firearm with both eyes open - anyone that I have instructed/helped/given advice to I tell them shoot with both eyes open - some will, some won't - doesn't bother me in the least the way they do it, unless their my children or grandchild - I do it my way, both eyes open and I can miss just as well as the next guy.:wink:

I've taught all my children how to shoot and some of my grandchildren as well. When we just shoot for fun - it's fun. When I "teach" them, I teach them like I was taught plus what I have learned since and I don't tell them twice without some "re-enforcement". They may not enjoy the "learning" experience but once taught they really enjoy their new skills and want to burn ammo every chance they get and when they see some ole fart shooting "patterns" they will look at each other or me and have the widest smile on their face - you know what their thinking but they never say anything until we get in the car heading home - they were "taught" when to be polite and to always respect elders.

kingstrider
01-23-2017, 04:39 PM
We bought my son a Rossi Matched Pair when he was about 8 or 9. It came with a .410 barrel which even I find uncomfortable to shoot because the gun weighs so little. The rifle barrel has decent fiber optic sights though so is easy for a youngster to learn on. My daughter more or less inherited the gun now that he's old enough to shoot mine.

XDROB
01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
My first gun to shoot.l at 12 yrs old.
Single shot breakopen 12 gauge shot gun. As I looked back up from ground. The thing blew me off my feet. My dad showed me how to stand,but as soon as I started to pull trgger, brought rear support foot forward. So had no backstop leg. I will never forget that day. Lead to many hours shooting together. Sadly he is not with my anymore, other then great memories.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

daniel lawecki
01-23-2017, 06:50 PM
I'm not the smartest man in the world. But I started my grandkids one on one. Me and the grandson then later the granddaughter. Then later both I never shot but coached. Never yelled they are fine shooters today. Someone just can't handle kids.

BigMagShooter
01-23-2017, 06:56 PM
someone should have distracted the 'other two' adults that were trying to give direction at the same time. that would leave only 'one' giving direction.

a good directed conversation about the weather and some other non important topics to keep them occupied would have done it.

bearcove
01-23-2017, 08:46 PM
I think you all miss the point!

When I was a kid we went in the backyard If something was wrong we went back to the house.

Y'all seem to think "going to the range" is normal.

Love Life
01-23-2017, 08:47 PM
It is OK, I will have the answer and a post will run years of wrong. I am correct about a scope but it was danced around for chop saws.
I have a reason to be upset. To not see wrong and lose a new shooter hurts big time. I would have gone over and given all I could for the little girl. step back Gramps. In minutes I will have the girl in love with shooting.
Keep reading and you will never see what I said.

I didn't know people were required to post agreement on a post. Is that a new forum rule that was put in place during my absence?

flyingmonkey35
01-23-2017, 08:57 PM
To this day i still cant shoot with both eyes.

As i have been partially blind in the right eye since i was 12.

Yes BB guns really will put you eye out!!

Off topic!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

country gent
01-23-2017, 10:26 PM
There are several things that will make a new shooters first outing a success and everyone much safer. A little no ammo dry fire instruction in the back yard basement or living room to get them familiar with the firearm, its trigger pull, and finding the "position". This helps the new shooter to learn when their not as nervous as on the first live fire trip. It also gives a chance to teach and start the saftey aspects of shooting in a safe atmosphere when mistakes are made. Other things to remember is one coach, no one can follow 2 different instructions, and its even harder for the younger shooters. Being calm and positive goes along ways to improvement. Eye contact between the coach and shooter during instruction. I really like 2 "at home" sessions with a new shooter. 1 is basic firearms safetey and controls of the firearm they are starting out with. The second is a dry fire session with secondary on saftey. In this way the new shooter starts out with a basic knowledge and idea of whats expected. They have also started on a good trigger pull and with drawings and explanation a idea of sight picture.
As to the grandfather and grandchildren stepping in probably wouldnt have ended well.

blackthorn
01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
When I was teaching my Granddaughter to shoot, after the talk on safety and operation of the rifle, I took a pop can, filled it with water, plugged the hole and shot it at about 20 yards using a .22 LR hollow point. The can was destroyed. I then pointed out to her that hitting flesh could cause similar damage. She is now 33 and she still remembers that little demo. Sort of reinforced the safety talk.

44man
01-24-2017, 04:24 PM
There are several things that will make a new shooters first outing a success and everyone much safer. A little no ammo dry fire instruction in the back yard basement or living room to get them familiar with the firearm, its trigger pull, and finding the "position". This helps the new shooter to learn when their not as nervous as on the first live fire trip. It also gives a chance to teach and start the saftey aspects of shooting in a safe atmosphere when mistakes are made. Other things to remember is one coach, no one can follow 2 different instructions, and its even harder for the younger shooters. Being calm and positive goes along ways to improvement. Eye contact between the coach and shooter during instruction. I really like 2 "at home" sessions with a new shooter. 1 is basic firearms safetey and controls of the firearm they are starting out with. The second is a dry fire session with secondary on saftey. In this way the new shooter starts out with a basic knowledge and idea of whats expected. They have also started on a good trigger pull and with drawings and explanation a idea of sight picture.
As to the grandfather and grandchildren stepping in probably wouldnt have ended well.
Well done, can't say enough good about this.

DerekP Houston
01-24-2017, 04:31 PM

Great read thanks! I'm looking forward to my son getting a bit older and joining me at the range.

country gent
01-24-2017, 04:38 PM
My chidren knew safe handling well before they started shooting. Including checking any firearmss handed to them status as to loaded unloaded saftey and such. They also knew the finger dosnt rest on the trigger until ready to fire. This needs to be taught and learned before anything else.

44man
01-24-2017, 04:45 PM
I didn't know people were required to post agreement on a post. Is that a new forum rule that was put in place during my absence?
I don't much care about agreement. It is that all really missed it, that is a bother. It is so basic I wondered why it was left out. I have coached many to shoot and none knew this either.
Then after I mentioned it, more strayed. But there is a wealth of good information posted but it does not address the problem of finding a target in the scope.
Yes, I would have interjected myself to help.
I tend to hurt feelings so forgive me. I might have tossed gramps away to bring in a new shooter. You do have to be involved. Sadness comes from tears of the little one. Kids are smart with a little patience.

DerekP Houston
01-24-2017, 04:48 PM
I don't much care about agreement. It is that all really missed it, that is a bother. It is so basic I wondered why it was left out. I have coached many to shoot and none knew this either.
Then after I mentioned it, more strayed. But there is a wealth of good information posted but it does not address the problem of finding a target in the scope.
Yes, I would have interjected myself to help.
I tend to hurt feelings so forgive me. I might have tossed gramps away to bring in a new shooter. You do have to be involved. Sadness comes from tears of the little one. Kids are smart with a little patience.

*shrug* I didn't miss your post either, just didn't have anything to add. I got lucky I guess and found the both eyes open trick my first year of shooting. It was probably something I read here or another site and stole though ;).

OS OK
01-24-2017, 04:55 PM
When my kids were teens we were going to go out back and shoot one morning and while we were standing in front of the safe...
I got a kick out of seeing my oldest son pull a revolver down open the cylinder, see it was unloaded then close the cylinder and turn around and hand it to his sister.
Niki takes the revolver from him and opens the cylinder to see it clear and shoves it into her jeans pocket.
Whether or not she saw Eric do that is immaterial to me...the fact that they both first did the safety thing they were taught many years before made me feel satisfied.

ironhead7544
01-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Being a gun nut, I bougth a rifle in kids size before they were born. There was an Anshutz Woodchucker youth 22lr in a local gun shop. Had good price. Looked at it a few times. Then one Sunday I went by there and they had a 50% off on everything sign up. The little rifle went home with me. I added a peep sight and and a proper front sight. The two boys who came along later were very happy with it and learned well. The rifle had an excellent trigger right out of the box. I also trained a number of other kids with it. When my boys got older there were upgraded. I sold the rifle to a good friend of mine who gave it to his grand daughter. She was delighted, so the little rifle got a good home.

fatelk
01-24-2017, 10:54 PM
When my kids were teens we were going to go out back and shoot one morning and while we were standing in front of the safe...
I got a kick out of seeing my oldest son pull a revolver down open the cylinder, see it was unloaded then close the cylinder and turn around and hand it to his sister.
Niki takes the revolver from him and opens the cylinder to see it clear and shoves it into her jeans pocket.
Whether or not she saw Eric do that is immaterial to me...the fact that they both first did the safety thing they were taught many years before made me feel satisfied.

That's got to make you a proud dad!

I teach my kids the same thing. No matter what kind of gun it is, who you just saw check it, or if you just checked it yourself five minutes ago; the first thing you do when handling a gun is to check it, then still handle it safely. Make that an ingrained habit that you just always do without even thinking, and it might help save you someday. I'll never forget a story I read about the legendary Bill Jordan, and how he tragically killed a fellow officer with an "unloaded" revolver.

44man
01-24-2017, 11:19 PM
*shrug* I didn't miss your post either, just didn't have anything to add. I got lucky I guess and found the both eyes open trick my first year of shooting. It was probably something I read here or another site and stole though ;).
Thank you, it works. I could pick up a sparrow flying across the yard with a 24X scope.
Another thing to do is to breath all the time when acquiring the target. First thing to go is your eyes from lack of oxygen. You can close the other eye the last second but it still affects you. I shot IHMSA and never held my breath until the last second for trigger break. To hold your breath too long will fuzz out sights.
Am I wrong?
The harm is a new shooter lost.

MaryB
01-24-2017, 11:29 PM
I learned on a full size ancient octagon barreled 22. Grandpa was strict and if you cried he wouldn't take you shooting the next visit to the farm so we shut up and listened! Closest I had to a youth gun was a single shot Steven 16 gauge with 2" hacked off the stock because my dad used it to hunt pheasants and ducks and often wore a bulky jacket so it was to long as it came. Enter modern coats with thinner insulation plus wearing fewer layers and that stock was an inch to short but I used it anyway! We couldn't afford kids guns, the 22 I was given at 12 was my gun for life or until I replaced it myself with my own money. And at 12 I was hunting solo at the farm for squirrels and rabbits. It was only 1/8 mile to the house and grandpa could see me sitting in the woods watching for squirrels to move as a safety measure. We were expected to bring something to the pot if we went out to hunt!

44man
01-25-2017, 12:33 AM
I learned on a full size ancient octagon barreled 22. Grandpa was strict and if you cried he wouldn't take you shooting the next visit to the farm so we shut up and listened! Closest I had to a youth gun was a single shot Steven 16 gauge with 2" hacked off the stock because my dad used it to hunt pheasants and ducks and often wore a bulky jacket so it was to long as it came. Enter modern coats with thinner insulation plus wearing fewer layers and that stock was an inch to short but I used it anyway! We couldn't afford kids guns, the 22 I was given at 12 was my gun for life or until I replaced it myself with my own money. And at 12 I was hunting solo at the farm for squirrels and rabbits. It was only 1/8 mile to the house and grandpa could see me sitting in the woods watching for squirrels to move as a safety measure. We were expected to bring something to the pot if we went out to hunt!
I never quit wondering about you. Dang it all, there is nothing you can't do.

djgoings
01-25-2017, 10:46 AM
My wife has been a 4H Shooting instructor for many years. She works with kids from ages 8-16. I've had many discussions with her about trigger control, in an effort to improve her own shooting skills. The last discussion I had with her ended with me saying something like "how can you teach you kids how to shoot if you're not a very good shot yourself". As you could guess, not a very smart comment on my part. She explained (loudly) that the 4H goals weren't just about turning these kids in little expert marksmen. It's more about introducing the kids to firearms and safe handling techniques and just respect for the sport. Interacting with the instructors and other members is also important. You also needs lots of patience when dealing with kids, which she was blessed with.
I guess my point here is that there are many traits that are more important when teaching our youth, other than just being a good shot yourself.

XDROB
01-25-2017, 12:41 PM
I learned on two rifles , both bolt action Springfields, first one was a 22 training rifle with peep sights . Second one was 30.06 with peep sights. They were my dad's and I still have both of them. My son learned on them also. He is my only and out of the house. But he held his first gun at five. Wife wanted to know what I was doing. Told her that I wanted him to know what a real gun felt like if he ever found one in the house of a friend or family and what to do when he saw one. Which was to report it to an adult or call one of us to come pick him up. I believe if there's guns in the house gun safety should be started very early. I grew up around guns around me my whole life and never once had an urge to go play with them because I new what they were and what they could do.
SAFETY EDUCATION FIRST WITH YOUR KIDS

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MaryB
01-26-2017, 03:03 AM
Can't think of much I haven't done... I want to learn to weld with a wire feed yet so I can do minor repairs around the house and on my truck which is a rust bucket.

I grew up poor, we hunted and fished out of necessity and anything we brought back was money saved at the grocery store. We gardened at home and on the farm, we had 3-4 beef cattle on the dairy farm along with some hogs and chickens that we butchered for the freezers. 5 kids so a LOT of food was needed! I have built houses, did wiring and plumbing, rebuilt engines in the stock car my dad was a pit crew member of, rebuilt and replaced engines in my own cars... I was never afraid to dive in and get dirty and learn something new! As I got older we had more money and dad had his own stock car and a bracket car for the drag strip. Built on the cheap because we did all the work ourselves and that is where I learned to stick weld(not pretty but functional). We actually made a little money racing so it wasn't a huge drain on family resources plus all of us pitched in to do it. My older sisters were the painters which I hated! We learned to do things because we didn't have the money to replace them!

I never quit wondering about you. Dang it all, there is nothing you can't do.

Blackwater
01-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you grew up a lot like Annie Oakley did! No wonder there are so many similarities!!! :D