PDA

View Full Version : MFH Pictures

beagle
11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, the MFH is back with the tweaks I figured it needed. The bands are opened to a full .360" instead of teh original .358" and a bit.

I now have the capability to make a 328 grain "solid" with it.

The HP punch is ready for me to fit a handle to the pin.

For those of you that haven't been following this, I modified (or rather my shooting partner machinist did) a stock, double cavity 358315 Lyman mould. We opened the nose to .3495" and made an adjustable nose punch. The nose profile is the same as a Lyman 311400. I'm able to make .358" bullets now from 155 to 328 grains. An interchangeable hollow point nose punch allows me to make a holow point version of the same weight with a .125" cavity.

I made this for my .35 Remington as I wanted a bullet with a fairly short body to fit the neck of the .35 Remington and I also wanted a bore diameter nose with a round, flat meplat. Originally, I wanted a 240 grain bullet but decided witha little lathe work, I could go higher. Now, 328 grains is abit much but I can adjust the nose punch to vary the weight and length of the nose so I ended up with exactly what I wanted.

It casts good and next week, I'll put a few 240 grainers down range and see how they shoot.

My thanks to Larry Taylor of Spears, Kentucky who is ahell of a machinist and agood cast bullet shooting partner./beagle

slughammer
11-04-2005, 07:25 PM
First off, that is some beautiful work. Did you polish the cavities just for the picture or do all your molds look that smooth?

I see how a solid nose will just roll out of the LH block, but I wonder about the hollow point. Won't the hollow point boolit be stuck? Perhaps the pin is shorter than it looks in the picture.

beagle
11-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Normally, and this one has been done, i'll spray with moly and then burnish with a soft pine stick. Gives a nice protective finish and the bullets drop very easily.

The mounting holes in the aluminum bottom plate are slightly elongated and the bottom plate kind of floats. This allows the nose punch to seperate slightly when the handles are open and allows the bullet to drop free.

The hollow points will be made with a cavity pin that I'll withdraw through the counterbore in the HP nose punch. I just picked the mould up today and like any caster, I had to drop some lead in it.

The HP pin must be removable as well as adjustable for length due to the variable length of the nose. Normally, our HP mods will run 1/2 the length of the bullet.

This is doeable and I have it in my head. Just have to get the time to do it./beagle

First off, that is some beautiful work. Did you polish the cavities just for the picture or do all your molds look that smooth?

I see how a solid nose will just roll out of the LH block, but I wonder about the hollow point. Won't the hollow point boolit be stuck? Perhaps the pin is shorter than it looks in the picture.

Frank46
11-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Beagle, beautiful work. reminds me of some of the old lyman molds with the adjustable
weight provision. I think you might have found your big rock. Frank

beagle
11-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Frank,

That's kind of what gave me the idea except on the other end.

We're already talking about making a .458 (well, actually a .460) on the same principle using a 457125 as a basis./beagle

Beagle, beautiful work. reminds me of some of the old lyman molds with the adjustable
weight provision. I think you might have found your big rock. Frank

Bullshop
11-08-2005, 07:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/cb4a3b88.jpg

Beagle
Check this one out! Its a bit different in that it gains weight in the base rather than the nose. I have also adjusted it inbetween base bands and gas checked the grease groove. More ideas for ya!
BIC/BS

Buckshot
11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
............Beagle, ya know that thing just has to make an impression when it hits!

............Buckshot

Frank46
11-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Bullshop, kinda looks like the cruise missle 45 cal bullet that Finn45 had in one of his posts, except his was I believe a round nosed bullet on the order of the lyman 457125.
Frank

beagle
11-15-2005, 12:33 AM
That's kinda, sorta, maybe like the old Ideal Perfections. Ought to work pretty well. Now, you could hollow base that pretty easily if you wanted to. Working on the other end lets you have a RN, spitzer or whatever.

With the 358315, I already had about the size body I wanted...just needed more nose and boy, I have plenty of it now.

Been off the net this week due to a death in the family. Once I get the HP attachment going on this one, I'm going to start messing making a hollow base 454190 similar to the old factory .45 Colt bullets. NEI makes one but I'd as soon do it myself.

That means converting a bottom pour to a nose pour but that's not a problem./beagle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/cb4a3b88.jpg

Beagle
Check this one out! Its a bit different in that it gains weight in the base rather than the nose. I have also adjusted it inbetween base bands and gas checked the grease groove. More ideas for ya!
BIC/BS

beagle
11-15-2005, 12:37 AM
I tried to recover some of the first batch of 246 grainers that I shot but they penetrated too much and it was muddy to boot.

Looks like i'm getting plenty of penetration though.

I have Shuz a bunch of 320 grainers made up for his "wheelie". I want to see if it will stabilize them. Man, a 320 grain .35 would be like throwing a spear at something./beagle

............Beagle, ya know that thing just has to make an impression when it hits!

............Buckshot

Buckshot
11-16-2005, 01:26 AM
..............Well most normal people consider the Lyman 358009 # 280grs a big brutish slug in the 35 Whelen:D!

............Buckshot