PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Deer with Spear?

Alabama358
01-21-2017, 10:42 PM
So I was poking around the safe and pulled out this old Yugo M59/66 SKS.

As I was looking it over I thought... I bet if I could get a deer to walk directly under my stand I could just spear it with the poking tool mounted on the end of this beast. :roll:

Ok, back to reality… this rifle because of the grenade launcher on the end has a selector knob to make it a single shot while firing said launcher. My guess is that it blocks any gas from bleeding into the gas tube to work the bolt, making it into a straight pull bolt action in that mode.

So I was thinking about building a cast load for the 7.62x39 and thought this might be the rifle.
I wonder what, if any affect the the single shot option would have on load performance using a cast boolit? I think it would be interesting to chrono the velocity of a given load in single mode and semi-auto out of the same rifle.

Anyone have any experience with this model using cast?
Recommendations for boolit molds for these old military grade rifles? (deer hunting)

Djones
01-23-2017, 07:16 AM
I have no experience with adjustable gas valves.

This bullet was made for 7.62x39 and looks to be good for deer hunting.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30_324&products_id=1731

GhostHawk
01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
I have a yugo sks, love it. My best cast mold for it is the .312 185 grain gas checked by Lee over 20 grains of IMR 4895.

This functions perfectly in the SKS, shoots to point of aim, I was hitting quarter sized pieces of clay pigon at the 50 yard mark every single time, not close, dead on.

Turn the gas off and yes it becomes a Yugo version of the K-31 Swiss straight pull bolt.

In this mode I really like 4.6 grains of Red Dot under the lee .314 90 grain TC boolit.

Almost quieter than a .22lr, hits dead center at 25 yards, brass is easy to find.

As to your idea, I don't think you will see a huge difference in speeds if you chrony them.

My opinion is that most powder will be burned by the time it reaches the gas block. Your not siphoning off huge volumes of that gas. Just enough to shove a piston which shoves the bolt back cycling the action.

shell70634
01-23-2017, 12:02 PM
there is a youtube video of hunting deer with spear. might be educational.:grin:

EMC45
01-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Never hunted dear with spear. I have hunted deer with Speer though.

blackthorn
01-23-2017, 01:43 PM

Define spear?

Plate plinker
01-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Don't tempt me. I know a place where I could do this. More than likely with success.

Texas by God
01-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Rim shot! Lol.
Just remember a 70# doe can kick a full grown man's *** before you go all Zulu! Best, Thomas.

Moleman-
01-23-2017, 07:21 PM

I've hunted deer with a Speer before. I liked the .430" 240gr JHP http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/handgun/plinker/jacketed_hp_sp.aspx Ended up switching to sierra sjhp though.

Alabama358
01-24-2017, 02:41 AM
I have no experience with adjustable gas valves.

This bullet was made for 7.62x39 and looks to be good for deer hunting.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30_324&products_id=1731

That is a great looking Boolit!!! It just made it to the top of the list for 7.62x39 deer medicine

Alabama358
01-24-2017, 02:51 AM
I have a yugo sks, love it. My best cast mold for it is the .312 185 grain gas checked by Lee over 20 grains of IMR 4895.

This functions perfectly in the SKS, shoots to point of aim, I was hitting quarter sized pieces of clay pigon at the 50 yard mark every single time, not close, dead on.

Turn the gas off and yes it becomes a Yugo version of the K-31 Swiss straight pull bolt.

In this mode I really like 4.6 grains of Red Dot under the lee .314 90 grain TC boolit.

Almost quieter than a .22lr, hits dead center at 25 yards, brass is easy to find.

As to your idea, I don't think you will see a huge difference in speeds if you chrony them.

My opinion is that most powder will be burned by the time it reaches the gas block. Your not siphoning off huge volumes of that gas. Just enough to shove a piston which shoves the bolt back cycling the action.

I never really thought of the SKS, AK or Mini-30 as a squirrel rifle... but your 4.6 grains of Red Dot under the Lee 90 grainer might just be a theme for a tree-rat round-up

Lloyd Smale
01-25-2017, 09:23 AM
when I was in my 20s I had buddy who was a Harley rider. His best friend (also a biker) weighted about 300 lbs and not a lot of it was fat. He made his wide glide look like a mini bike. He actually made a speer tied a rope on the end of it which he anchored to the tree and baited right under his stand and speered a 180lb black bear just because someone told him it couldn't be done. He said the bear took off and pulled the speer out of his body and went about 20 yards and died. Nothing I ever had the want or need to repeat myself.

DanishM1Garand
01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
I remember an article where a western state allowed spear hunting for deer. The state wildlife guy they interviewed said it was likely the first time that a deer was harvested by spear in 1000 years. I believe it was Montana. I'm just going back memory, don't hold me to it.

The hunters used a spear and a device called an Atlatl to throw the spear. Makes a muzzle loader seem modern.

BlackoutBuilder
01-25-2017, 01:53 PM
It's cruel. Might as well hunt with a flamethrower.

Shoot them, make sure you have a good shot before making the shot, and place the shot well.

Mk42gunner
01-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Count me on the side that does not want to do a bayonet charge on Bambi's friends.

On the other hand, I don't think a well thrown spear with a sharp spear point would be cruel; I just question how easy it would be to find a deer unaware enough to miss a human throwing a spear at them.

Robert

Plate plinker
01-26-2017, 12:10 AM

Shoot them, make sure you have a good shot before making the shot, and place the shot well.

I don't think so, just look at what the natives used to use, those rocks were sharp. A real spear with a sharp tip would be no less cruel than a broadhead. Burning with a flamethrower would be cruel.

Texas by God
01-26-2017, 12:33 AM
Just leap from hiding and stab them with a knife. Spears aren't sporting. Too easy. So is a tomahawk. Just kidding. Fold that bayo back up and shoot the deer with a bullet. Best, Thomas.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2017, 07:51 AM
tell me how its crueler to kill a bear with a 30lb speer with a 4 inch sharpened head then it is an aluminum arrow and 3/4 inch broadhead that doesn't weight a lb. If you think a bow doesn't kill deer then you've never bow hunted. To me its less cruel then some of the guys here that want to shoot deer at a 100 yards with 357s and subsonic .30s

richhodg66
01-26-2017, 08:03 AM
I've had them come directly underneath me while in tree stands. If a guy used a heavy enough spear and practiced, I have no doubt it could be done easily enough.

When I played with cast in the SKS, I was pleasantly surprised. That Ed Harris design Lee makes works very well.

BlackoutBuilder
01-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Your chances of hitting a vital area and getting a fast kill with a spear is very small, unless you're right next to the thing. From the videos I've seen, it looks more like harpooning whales. snag it, and then find a way to finish it off.

Plate plinker
01-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Well if I did this spearing I would use it as a lance. Not throwing it. Big pokey thing on the end like 16" long should get it done. Probably never do it but seems doable to me.

I have killed a lot (50+) of goats with just a knife and am sure I could handle a deer with a lance. Usually the first time somebody helps slaughter a animal with me they kind of freakout because they do not know what to expect. If I ever thought of really doing this I think I would go tribal and make a lance with a chunk of Obsidian on it.

Cowboy_Dan
01-27-2017, 01:35 AM
In all seriousness, that spearpoint on your 59/66 as a monopod if there is a conveniently-placed log, I have before and it works well. Wouldn't use it on a nice shooting bench, though.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2017, 07:40 AM
same could be said for half the hunters in the woods running around with there 06s and 270s;-)
Your chances of hitting a vital area and getting a fast kill with a spear is very small, unless you're right next to the thing. From the videos I've seen, it looks more like harpooning whales. snag it, and then find a way to finish it off.

Texas by God
01-28-2017, 01:00 AM
I have a spear made out of a Cold Steel Bushman knife and a flame stained broom handle. It looks good on the shop wall above the mounted Javelina I killed with a muzzleloader! Best,Thomas.

shooterg
01-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Believe only 2 states allow spear hunting deer. Guy awhile back killed a bear in Canada with one, found to be completely legal, but Under Armor canceled a deal with 'em over bad press. Me, I have no problem with it, seen plenty of 'em get away with arrows in 'em, no better, no worse. I will say it may be dumb. I sure ain't going after a bear with a big ole toothpick !