PDA

View Full Version : Second PC coat

Pete P
01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
I was just curious if anyone has applied a second coat of powder? If so what were the results. I was looking for better coverage. Or perhaps I'm just overdoing it.

Kraschenbirn
01-21-2017, 11:39 AM
When I first began experimenting with PC, I got some pretty shabby results using HF powders so I tried applying a second coat. Recoated boolits were pretty ugly...kind of a 'pebbled' appearance...but seemed to shoot okay with no sign of fouling in barrel or cylinder. Those, btw, were pistol boolits, shot at handgun velocities.

Shortly, after that, I switched to Smoke's powders and haven't looked back...single-coat and 2000 fps+ with no problems. I see you're from Illinois so if you're anywhere near UIUC I've got some leftover HF Red and HF Black that you can have if you'll come and pick 'em up.

Bill

Pete P
01-21-2017, 12:01 PM
I am using the Harbor freight red. I'm being very picky some areas are slightly splotchy others look like they may lack some coating. Some background, first I tried some of the Hitek coating on some of my wheel weight alloy 9 mm bullets only to have my barrels extremely fouled. I did a very small run of powder coating and it seemed to work fine. I have 200 rounds loaded up ready to try. I just need time to get to the range. Thanks for the offer for your leftover powder. I really think that the Harbor freight red is an ugly red.

Pete

reddog81
01-21-2017, 01:22 PM
I've done a second coat a couple of times. Where I live it can be very humid at times and that seems to have a large effect on the process. The second coat usually seems to go on easier and gets good coverage. I wouldn't hesitate to do a second coat if necessary.

prickett
01-21-2017, 01:27 PM
I was just curious if anyone has applied a second coat of powder? If so what were the results. I was looking for better coverage. Or perhaps I'm just overdoing it.

I double coat now. I bought the TL type mold which has the fragile bands that tend to break during sizing (I size my .45's down to .451"). Combined with the spotty coverage of HF paints, it actually turns out very well.

1st coat (get about 80% coverage)
I size
2nd coat and get 100% coverage.

I cook for 30 minutes, so the HF paint comes out smooth. I also think the HF paints dry harder than the "better" paints (HF paint is epoxy IIRC).

Grmps
01-21-2017, 04:07 PM
You said the Hi-Tek was fouling your barrel. Did the hi-tek pass the rub and smash test before you tried shooting it?
2 thin / even coats of HF red shouldn't be a problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRVXic3-ztE

Beagle333
01-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Second coat of powder works just like the first coat. No problems when I do it. It just looks better the second time. 8-)

Pete P
01-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Yes they did pass the smash and rub test. They were sized to .356 and they heavily leaded two different pistols. They were cast out all scrap wheel weights. As a side note I have had little to no problems using hard wax type lubricant in the bullets grease groove.

runfiverun
01-21-2017, 08:25 PM
you have a diameter problem.