PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 brass to make 8mm Mauser

303carbine
01-19-2017, 10:08 PM
It's easy to do, one pass through the 8mm fl die and trim, that's it.8-)

Beagle333
01-19-2017, 10:20 PM
And that's it? 'Sounds easy. I been buying mine already converted. I figured there was some magic in it somewhere. :roll:

Stewbaby
01-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Do you mess with annealing? I haven't yet but have only reloaded my resized '06 to 8mm 3x.

I use a trim die for the initial reshaping. Just what I like to do.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/6520a6126c151330021205643b4554f4.jpg

303carbine
01-19-2017, 10:35 PM
And that's it? 'Sounds easy. I been buying mine already converted. I figured there was some magic in it somewhere. :roll:

Yes, it's that easy, you can also adjust the die so you can form the brass a bit longer in case your rifle needs a bit "longer" length brass.

runfiverun
01-19-2017, 11:08 PM
wanna see easy?
get a dillion size trim machine, and their 8 mauser die.
put case in shell holder and press handle.
8 mauser case comes out ready to champher and load.
anneal afterwards.

bruce drake
01-19-2017, 11:30 PM
One of the main reasons why I like the LEE case trimming pilots is that I can trim the brass while standing over the waste bin so I don't get brass shavings all over my shop.

Do you mess with annealing? I haven't yet but have only reloaded my resized '06 to 8mm 3x.

I use a trim die for the initial reshaping. Just what I like to do.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/6520a6126c151330021205643b4554f4.jpg

303carbine
01-20-2017, 01:44 AM
I use a small copper tube cutter to get the length close, then size in the 8x57 die.
A small trim and chamfer after and you're done. That is the method I use when I don't have 8x57 brass.
I usually anneal all cases after as well after reforming.

runfiverun
01-20-2017, 02:55 AM
hook the vacuum up and zoop done.
I make 7.65 argie brass by running 0-6 brass into the full length LEE die with the deprimer rod pulled.
then scoot it up into the 308 die to get the length, then full length size them in the rcbs die.
I make 7.7 jap brass by just about the same method.

the little shop vac is noisy though.

bruce drake
01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
And such a pain to pull off the shelf and set-up everytime I want to trim a case (the shop-vac) ;)

fast ronnie
01-20-2017, 01:58 PM
I do anneal mine, before and after. You're moving a fair amount of brass.

funnyjim014
01-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Only problem I can see is headstamp. That's y I use mill surp brass and color code with sharpie every reload

paul edward
01-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Annealing will make sizing easier and improve gas seal when fired.

Since 1962 I have used range pick up 30/06 to make 7x57, 8x57, 7.7x58, 7.65x53 and 7.62x51.

nvreloader
01-25-2017, 04:40 PM
One thing to watch or make sure of/for is neck donuts, since you are converting 06 brass,
you are using some of the shoulder angle for the neck,
which as a normal rule, the shoulder angle/brass with be thicker,
which needs to be removed for safety.

Check some reformed fired brass, not sized,
and see if the bullet will slide into the case freely,
if it hangs up, check the depth of the bullet against the case mouth etc.

That will tell you what you need to known,
and also check the case capacities against standard OEM formed cases,
you could also have less case capacity with the reformed brass -vs- OEM brass etc.

Tia,
Don

WJP
02-01-2017, 01:14 AM

Yup, pretty easy for me as well. Just lube it good and run it through. Hopefully 303 saved you some money. This site is a wealth of information from the new guys to the old sharing information. That's the main reason I joined. Thanks castboolits.

747 captain
10-16-2017, 01:47 PM
I use tubing cutter first then size a little at a time thru 8 mm fl sizing die. I anneal before and after sizing

RogerDat
10-16-2017, 02:21 PM
I used this die to form and mark, then a harbor freight bench top (2 inch) chop saw with metal cutting blade to cut. Then back into the die for a bit of final file work to get exact length. Followed by 8mm size die as part of normal loading BUT with some extra lube for inside the case neck.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/770975/rcbs-trim-and-form-die-8x57mm-mauser-8mm-mauser-from-30-06-springfield?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Dies+%26+Shellholders&utm_content=770975&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Dies+%26+Shellholders-_-RCBS-_-770975&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37LPlOD11gIVg0peCh2Y1AGEEAYYASAB EgL9V_D_BwE
Die is available a variety of places this was just top of google search.

Anneal then trim as normal.
I have not tried anneal before but am going to. As others noted it can be a stiff piece of brass being worked and I think anneal before rather than only when finished would help.

fatelk
10-16-2017, 10:31 PM
I've gotten lazy when trimming that much brass. I set my dial calipers to the correct length and scribe a line around the neck where I want to trim to, then take it to the bench grinder and use the coarse wheel to grind it down close to the line. It's really fast, takes just a few seconds. The I use the Lee trimmer in a cordless drill to finish the last little bit of trimming.

Eddie2002
10-16-2017, 11:05 PM
I run the 30-06 brass through a mini metal lathe trimming it to length then resize it to 7.7x58 for my Arisakas. Takes about 30 seconds to set a piece of brass up in the chuck and trim to length.

charles1990
10-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Must be cause it's fun ? Privi brass is great and has correct headstamp. An 8x57 made from a case headstamped 30-06 WILL chamber in an 06' ---- KA BOOOOM !

fatelk
10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
I don’t really consider that for myself, but maybe I should for others. I have 8mm brass with all kinds of headstamps. I identify ammo generally by sight, not headstamp. I would no more mistake an 8mm round for 30-06 as I would a 45 for a 9mm.

A long time ago for a bit of a joke I gave a friend a box of .243 hunting ammo for a birthday gift. They were reformed from a wide variety of calibers and each had a different head stamp. His dad got upset and told him to throw them away. I assured him they were safe to shoot but he would have none of it. After he explained I saw his point. The extended family all hunted and had quite a variety of rifles. If my friend wasn’t careful, someone who didn’t know ammo by site like we do was bound to get ahold of a round or two and shove them in the wrong gun.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone can tell a piece of 9mm brass from .380 at a glance, in the dirt from 20 feet away!

fatelk
10-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Funny story about 8mm and 30-06: I’ve actually found range brass before that was 8mm fire formed in a 30-06 chamber. I did some research and found that it’s not unheard of, and under the right circumstances shoots ok (Not saying anyone should- ever!)

With light loaded U.S. commercial ammo using soft lead cored bullets, the smaller capacity round fire forms to the larger chamber. This would normally result in lower than normal pressures except that it’s squeezing a relatively soft .323 bullet through a .308 hole. Scary as heck but not necessarily kaboom.

Try that with a full power surplus 8x57 round, especially steel core, and I would fully expect guaranteed destruction.

charles1990
10-17-2017, 11:21 PM
The reason the Rem/Win 8x57 has low pressures and soft bullets is to CYA if shot in 1888 Commission rifles w/.318 bores.

GEW 98s with 318 bores, when the .323 spitzer ammo came along, just had the grooves cut deeper and worked fine w/.323 ammo. The 8X60 also has a .318 bore w/deep grooves and shoots .323 bullets.

BUT you put ANY factory 8x57 in an 06' and bad things will happen as Hatcher documented.

fatelk
10-18-2017, 12:56 AM
Yes, I’m well aware of why US commercial 8mm ammo has historically been so anemic. I’m certainly not advocating ever putting 8mm in a 30-06 for any reason, but I do have to respectfully disagree with your last statement.

I don’t disagree with the danger and I would never do it myself, even in the name of science with a rifle I didn’t like tied down to an old tire, but I’ve heard reliable stories over the years of it accidentally being done without shrapnel, and I’ve seen the hard evidence in the form of empty brass.

Kind of like playing Russian roulette with only one empty chamber: downright suicidal but not necessarily always fatal. You might get lucky.

RogerDat
10-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Use military 30-06 brass with no caliber on the head stamp. No caliber stamped means no false caliber stamped in the modified 8mm brass. Head stamp reads L C 89 then it's not claiming to be any caliber and on the shooter to make sure they figure it out. Being in a box or container labeled 8x57 8mm mauser should help. I have heard of people that use a dye or marker to distinguish the brass as "different".

charles1990
10-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Dat's true.

I don't mind spending a few bucks for properly headstamed cases that will last forever with cast boolit loads.

No trimming, pp reaming, neck reaming etc. etc.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/72658

60 cents each, 20 reloads, 3 cents per load. (probably last 100 loads)

vzerone
10-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Dat's true.

I don't mind spending a few bucks for properly headstamed cases that will last forever with cast boolit loads.

No trimming, pp reaming, neck reaming etc. etc.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/72658

60 cents each, 20 reloads, 3 cents per load. (probably last 100 loads)

Actually the 06 brass is better and lasts just as long or longer if taken care of properly. They also have thicker case neck, which 8mm are notoriously thin, and thicker necks help a tad on accuracy by centering the bullet to the bore more. Yeah yeah, you probably won't notice that in an old war Mauser.

fatelk
10-20-2017, 02:39 PM
I have to admit I’m just too cheap to buy brass for something that’s as easy to make as 8mm, but this thread has got me to thinking. I don’t want my kids someday trying to figure out what to do with Dad’s old junk, and have one of them put a reformed 8mm into a 30-06 and pull the trigger.

I’m going to dig out all my 8mm stuff and carefully deface any improper headstamps with a Dremel.

charles1990
10-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Actually the 06 brass is better and lasts just as long or longer if taken care of properly. They also have thicker case neck, which 8mm are notoriously thin, and thicker necks help a tad on accuracy by centering the bullet to the bore more. Yeah yeah, you probably won't notice that in an old war Mauser.

Privi brass is not too thin. Built to correct spec. Necked down 06 brass is overly thick. That's why Wilson/RCBS etc make neck reamers. By the time you buy a good 8X57 rifle (lots more than a new TC Compass) it's hard to believe you cannot afford the right brass.

Good Cheer
11-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Funny story about 8mm and 30-06: I’ve actually found range brass before that was 8mm fire formed in a 30-06 chamber. I did some research and found that it’s not unheard of, and under the right circumstances shoots ok (Not saying anyone should- ever!)

With light loaded U.S. commercial ammo using soft lead cored bullets, the smaller capacity round fire forms to the larger chamber. This would normally result in lower than normal pressures except that it’s squeezing a relatively soft .323 bullet through a .308 hole. Scary as heck but not necessarily kaboom.

Try that with a full power surplus 8x57 round, especially steel core, and I would fully expect guaranteed destruction.

Same here.
One day I picked up empties at a range on the north side of Houston, marched into the store and told them to pay attention to what they're selling people. There are plenty of rifles around that were once upon a time 8mm.

Good Cheer
11-04-2017, 08:08 AM
For elderly 8mm's with lots of erosion, you might be better off making 8x59's or whatever your rifle dimensions are and get yourself some more boolit coverage.

kungfustyle
11-04-2017, 08:51 AM
I started all this years ago when you couldn't find 8mm Mauser brass or rounds for under $2/round. Just so happened to luck out on an RCBS reloading die set that included a form and trim die on e-bay and the rest is history. Do anneal the brass and size run each one through the Mauser you may not have to neck turn. I guess I'm one of the few people in the US that doesn't own a 270 so all the range brass I find gets turned into 8mm.

NoAngel
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
I’ve done about 500 from RP ‘06 this year. An rcbs case forming die is invaluable.
I prefer the thinner RP brass over mil-surp brass. Much easier to work with.
The headstamp is of no concern to me as I don’t own a 30’06 and even if I did I would like to think I have better sense than that.

EDG
11-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Privi brass is not too thin. Built to correct spec. Necked down 06 brass is overly thick. That's why Wilson/RCBS etc make neck reamers. By the time you buy a good 8X57 rifle (lots more than a new TC Compass) it's hard to believe you cannot afford the right brass.

Formed 30-06 brass even US military brass is not too thick. You are repeating something you don't really know.

I have 6 rifles including an autoloader in 8x57. The necks in all chambersare much larger than any formed cases. Have about400 cases formed from 30-06 brass. To prevent headstamp issues I used mostly 30-06 military brass. Also use the same brass to make hundreds of. Cases for the 7.65 Mausers. Have 5 7.65 Mausers and all of their chambers have plenty of room too.

gpidaho
11-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Off the path a bit here but it is surprising just how far a barrel will swage down a SOFT bullet. We had two look alike Handi rifles at the range and S.I.L. Dave accidentally fired a 357mag round in a 30-30. Split the case end to end but no further damage. Bullet actually hit the target. Gp

vzerone
11-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Off the path a bit here but it is surprising just how far a barrel will swage down a SOFT bullet. We had two look alike Handi rifles at the range and S.I.L. Dave accidentally fired a 357mag round in a 30-30. Split the case end to end but no further damage. Bullet actually hit the target. Gp

My cousin's high school friend's son shot and harvested a 6 point buck with a 98 Mauser in 8x57, but accidently used a 35 Remington cartridge. He complained about the excessive recoil and my cousin's friend pointed out his error and that he was lucky the 98 action is stout. Can you imagine what that bullet looked like after getting swaged down? Like a pencil!!! To boot he got the deer. Wow!