PDA

View Full Version : Gene Cernan, "The last Man on The Moon" Has died

frkelly74
01-19-2017, 12:27 PM
I just read his book last summer and it was quite a good refresher on how things happened during the big space program push for the Moon landings. He was quite a guy and I wish I could have known him. Gene Cernan Rest In Peace
185610 185611

Blackwater
01-19-2017, 04:09 PM
I for one can't even imagine the courage those men had. In space, in those tiny little "bubbles" for as long as they were! I'd have gone stark, raving mad! Someone would have had to shoot me! But they DID it! Wow! I'll always be in awe of them - all of them. God rest his soul.

timspawn
01-19-2017, 04:37 PM
I meet Stuart Roosa (Apollo 14) and spent an hour or so with him when I was about ten years old. I wish I had been older so I could have asked some intelligent questions and realized how rare the company was. Brave, trailblazing men for sure.

David2011
01-21-2017, 12:58 AM
As kids in the '60s we lived near the Manned Spacecraft Center. Some of my classmates' fathers were engineers and electronics developers for Mercury. Between my brother and myself we've known five men that walked on the moon. Not an achievement on our part, just a product of the area where we lived. It's always a little painful to learn of the passing of one of those brave men.

Del-Ray
01-21-2017, 12:24 PM
There's a great documentary on Netflix about this man. I watched it about two months ago, and when I heard he passé, I watched it again last night. Amazing man. An amazing generation.

Pb4me
01-22-2017, 11:16 PM
My youngest son received student of the year in the aviation mechanics class he was in. Cpt. Gene Cernan presented the award to him as well as awards that people from the other classes were due. Cpt. Cernan was the epitome of professionalism and class. We had the chance to meet and visit with him after the ceremony. We were honored just to be in his presence.

Multigunner
01-24-2017, 12:24 PM
An era of great achievement.
I remember the old TV series "Men Into Space", every kid wanted to grow up to be an astronaut back then.