PDA

View Full Version : Gas check material.

JeffinNZ
06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Right, so here's my dilemma.

The 'soda' cans in lil ol New Zealand have side walls of oly 4 thou inch. Really I need 4 layers for a Hornady spec check and 4 layers don't work so well.

I can't get copper shim stock at 0.4mm/0.0015 or, for that matter, brass. I can get phosphor bronze shim stock at 15 thou however.

Would phosphor bronze shim be ductile enough to form?

Boerrancher
06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Jeff,

It may be, but I am not sure. I posted in a thread earlier where some ask about aluminum flashing for roofing. Try looking for that. It runs from 0.0115 to 0.015 in thickness. You should be able to find it at any of the local hardware or home construction stores. If you know a roofer, ask him if he can spare a small portion. Also the trim for Aluminum siding works well, as I have used that quite often. I have to have .012 thickness for my gas checks to seal off properly and prevent leading.

Hope this helps,

Joe

docone31
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, the thing we take for granted here.
Harbor Freight and Salvage has a Mini Rolling Mill. I use it in my jewelery business to reduce sheet stock.
With this machine, it is possible to reduce up to 6mm. materials to almost paper thin. From there it is needed to anneal the material, but, there it is.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=mini+rolling+mill&Submit=Go
I hope that might help. I am sure they have copper sheet there, roll it down.
It works.

JeffinNZ
06-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Trust me. No one is interested in going to that effort to sell one lineal metre. Thanks though.

dakotashooter2
06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Do you have any print shops/newspapers nearby? Most use aluminum "plates" of various thicknesses for printing. Around here after they are used (once) they are sent back for recycling. I got a few samples to try but have not shot them yet. They seem much better than the soda can ones.

bohica2xo
06-27-2008, 12:53 PM

That would depend on your tooling. Phosphor bronze would be fine for gas checks if yout tooling is up to it.

I shot several thousand gas checks made frome 28 gauge sheet with no problems at all. Roof flashings / rain gutters etc are all available in steel or aluminum, and much of it is 28 gauge material. There had got to be some commercial use material down there that you can use for this...

B.

JeffinNZ
06-28-2008, 03:42 AM
Do you have any print shops/newspapers nearby? Most use aluminum "plates" of various thicknesses for printing. Around here after they are used (once) they are sent back for recycling. I got a few samples to try but have not shot them yet. They seem much better than the soda can ones.

Actually yes, I know of just the business. I used to do the export of the plates for recycling. Good thinking!!!!

Another ever tried cardboard gas checks???? LDPE?????

Bass Ackward
06-28-2008, 06:40 AM

The 'soda' cans in lil ol New Zealand have side walls of oly 4 thou inch. Really I need 4 layers for a Hornady spec check and 4 layers don't work so well.

I can't get copper shim stock at 0.4mm/0.0015 or, for that matter, brass. I can get phosphor bronze shim stock at 15 thou however.

Learn something new every day. I never dreamed that aluminum was used to make a check. I was always under the impression that the aluminum check was put on a PB design.

Old dogs ........

JeffinNZ
06-28-2008, 03:52 PM
So I'm sitting here last evening racking my brains as the name of the printing company I used to export for when it suddenly dawns on me that on a monthly basis I export 20000lb of magazines to AU from probably the largest printer in town. DUH. I will call them on Monday and see if I can cadge some plates.

bcp477
06-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry to stick my nose in....but...... you could just forget all about the troublesome gas checks and take up paper-patching of your bullets. Very easy to learn, extremely simple technology....and it requires no special equipment. PPing is more effective in protecting the bullets than gas checks, as well....and generally allows for higher velocities. Best of all, you don't need a certain "special" bullet design..... PPing will work with ANY style of bullet. The only "special requirement" is that the bullets need to be the proper diameter before patching. But, this is true with ALL bullets anyway, whether cast or jacketed.

ihmsakiwi
06-30-2008, 04:29 AM

HI Jeff,

Give me a week or so and I wll try a few contacts here in Auckland for sheet stock. I have a gas check maker in my near future so would like to find a solution locally also. Peter.

JeffinNZ
07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have secure, free of charge, some 0.30mm/0.012inch printers plate, about 6 square feet.

:drinks::drinks::drinks::Fire::Fire::Fire:

JeffinNZ
07-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Told you all a lie. There is 13 square feet.

Enough to make 12000 .31 cal gas checks. Man I have some casting to do now.

docone31
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Rock on Dude! and good for you. Roll up the sleeves, get a good cup of coffee, fire up the pot, warm the mold, and get it on!!!!
Good shootin.

Southern Son
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
"So I'm sitting here last evening racking my brains as the name of the printing company I used to export for when it suddenly dawns on me that on a monthly basis I export 20000lb of magazines to AU from probably the largest printer in town. DUH. I will call them on Monday and see if I can cadge some plates."

NZ exports something other than wool, they must be magazines about sheep.

JeffinNZ
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Can't hardly GIVE wool await right now.

bruce drake
07-03-2008, 01:10 AM
bcp477 is onto something. I have a Maltby No4 Mk1* that has been heavily used and sporterized and it runs almost .316 in its bore. I use paperpatch .312 boolits to fit the bore and she went from a tumbling wreck to a nice 2" group at 100yards.

Paperpatching is an "easy" way to custom match your bullets to your bore. It takes a little practice to get them shooting well but once you've got the habit down its worth the time to learn.

Bruce

cast367
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I have tryed to make gaschecks from beercans. This are in Holland made from
metal. I must use 2 or 3 layers will it fit on the shank.
I have used an 200 grains lee bullit in my 308 w with 25 grains AA 5744 and it give an bad result on the 100 meter ranch.I am not satisfayed.
Now I try 180 grains with AA 5744 and 22 grain next week.
I make the gascheck in my lyman 450 lubricator with an adapted toppunch.
It works. BUT a Hornady gascheck is better.
However, very expensif. 39 euro pro 1000.
I did an expirement with a .38 spec.case .It is very hard to force them.
And a lot of work.

Regards,
cast 367
Holland