PDA

View Full Version : First cast boolits super happy very lil trouble

Dadswickedammo
01-17-2017, 11:44 PM
First off thank Bull and the rest of you guys you all hanv been very kind with all my questions.
So broke in my new lee 20lb bottom pour and new .452 230gr 6 cavity mold tossed in about 10lb of pre fluxed lead w.w. Now the first few the mold was not got enough then about 60 came out perfect then started turning frosty and got worse. So I stopped set the mold on the wood bench and started smoldering the wood. Maybe just going to fast and mold to hot? All in all went very well.
Again thank you all.

runfiverun
01-18-2017, 02:25 AM
yep a slight over shoot in mold temp.
the trick is going the right speed to maintain a consistent mold temp.
you can use a damp rag to cool things off a bit.
turn down the alloy temp or slow the count until you open the mold and how long till you re-fill it.
the appearance of the boolits is your cue.

WFO2
01-18-2017, 04:37 AM
Good for you . I'm new at this to and it sure is nice when you start getting good bullets . Welcome to the addiction .

avogunner
01-18-2017, 06:16 AM
I've made a little wooden box that I place next to my pot in which I've attached a computer fan blowing downwards. After every pour, I put the mold under that fan for a couple of seconds. I cools the sprue quickly and seems to keep the mold at a more even temp. I keep my eye on the pot temperature too but if the mold gets too hot, 30-40 seconds under the fan empty an open does the trick to cool it back a bit.
Semper Fi

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Phlier
01-18-2017, 01:13 PM
First off thank Bull and the rest of you guys you all hanv been very kind with all my questions.
So broke in my new lee 20lb bottom pour and new .452 230gr 6 cavity mold tossed in about 10lb of pre fluxed lead w.w. Now the first few the mold was not got enough then about 60 came out perfect then started turning frosty and got worse. So I stopped set the mold on the wood bench and started smoldering the wood. Maybe just going to fast and mold to hot? All in all went very well.
Again thank you all.

Yup, Bullwolf is just a fantastic guy. I've spent many hours reading these forums, but when I go to find an answer to something, 90% of the time I find the answer in the PM's Bull has sent me.

And grats on your first cast! Throw some pictures up so we can take a look at 'em!

Echo
01-19-2017, 03:27 PM
I made a little box out of aluminum foil and put a folded washrag in it, and soaked it with water. When the lead starts running off the sprue like water, or else the sprue cuts too easily or breaks up on cutting, I turn the mold upside down and lay it on the sopping rag - let it steam for a few seconds- and get back to casting.

Blackwater
01-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Now THIS is the way to start casting! Glean all you can BEFORE jumping in, and .... voila'! Good results! So many today seem to get into casting and expect a jolly attitude to see them through it, but casting, as with reloading, is a very specialized pursuit that's NOT quite as easy as falling off a log. Some knowledge beforehand is not only wise, it's necessary to get good results from our own casting and loading. Frankly, it kind'a ticks me off when I see folks say "No need to buy a manual, because all the data I need is on line." How wrong that attitude is!!! Even many who DO buy manuals won't read the front sections, that tell what to do and most importantly, WHY it needs to be done as described. I see so many newbies saying, "I'm not interested in all that! I just want to load some cheap ammo." And that's what they usually get - cheap ammo. And ammo that'll NEVER let them progress and truly get to be a better, faster, more reliable shot with any type of gun. If one's main aspiration in casting and loading is just "cheap ammo," then that's what they'll get, and they'll be denying themselves the great satisfaction of becoming a real rifleman or pistolero. And it's really SO easy to get good, especially if we cast our own, because it IS so much cheaper than bought bullets. I know some lead lives that don't allow MUCH time, but to never aspire to become a really good shot? I just don't understand this mentality.

But many today just want "easy" instead of "good." Congratulations on your success, and I'm betting your new hobby has you really proficient with all your guns, and I doubt it'll take long. A willingness and desire to learn is all it takes, really, along with average coordination and eyesight. It's so easy even I did it! Frailties have taken some of it away, but I still wouldn't want me shooting at me, even today. There's real satisfaction in that, and if I'm ever in a bad situation again, confidence allows a man to say and do things that often avert anything more serious than words. That ain't no small thing, either! You did VERY well. Kudos to you!

Toymaker
01-19-2017, 06:24 PM
It's a great feeling, isn't it. Congratulations. Yep, your mold got a little too hot. When I see that starting I just hold the mold open and wave it back and forth a couple of times to cool it off a tad.
Rifle bullets are used for competition, so no frosting.
Pistol bullets are for practice and plinking so I figure the frosting helps hold the lube on.

robg
01-19-2017, 06:31 PM
I like to use two or three molds ,by the time I've filled the last one the first is ready to empty . I tend to get frustrated waiting for the sprues to cool otherwise .well done by the way ,now the addiction kicks in.