PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning when changing loads w/cast

1Shirt
11-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Am curious about cleaning experiance and practices :coffee: when changing bullet types, weights, and different lubes. I normally use either Lyman Orange, or Lee Alox liquid, and usually run a couple of patches after I finish with one weight or go to a different lube with the same bullets. Yep, I know, I probably ought to stay with one or the other, but that would make life to easy. Accuracy has been adequate (if there is ever such a thing as adequate accuracy with old eyes. So, am interested in who does what along this line. The only time I do a complete cleaning is when I shoot jacketed after I shoot cast. Also, how many wipe off the nose when they finish loading the round when they use Lee Liquid alox. Looks like hell, but have never found any difference at least in the bigger cals.

As always, thanks in advance to those who answer this thread.
1Shirt

waksupi
11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
1shirt, I have never been in the habit of cleaning unless accuracy starts falling off in a gun, there is obvious leading, or I will be putting it away for a long period. If testing loads, and cleaning, I would imagine it takes some unknown amount of shots for the barrel to get back to it's optimum condition. I guess I can see some use to the practice if you are testing different lubes. Felix will be da man for the definitive answer on the pro's and con's of the practice.

NVcurmudgeon
11-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah, what Waksupi said. Also, be sure to clean thoroughly when changing from jacketed to cast, and vice versa. My apologies if you meant your question to apply to cast boolits only.

Bob S
11-04-2005, 12:55 PM
It has been my experience that it is a good idea to clean when changing lubricants, particularly if/when you change from an Alox formula to a non-Alox formula, or vice versa. There are also some powder combinations where the residues don't play well together. This is well-known to mouse-gun shooters who use a certain powder for short range and then use a different powder at 600 yards ... the first shot at 600 yards is unpredictable, and then the zero "re-establishes" itself where it should be. I have not noticed this phenominon with cast bullets, but it is something to keep in mind particularly with smallbores.

Resp'y,
Bob S.