PDA

View Full Version : An interesting question

farmerjim
01-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Around noon yesterday I needed to make a run to town. I jumped into the car, and went down my 600 foot drive. Stopped at the end and looked left for cars coming down the road.
What looks up at me from the ditch is an injured button buck. I don't like to see the animal suffer, or go to waste, and my freezer is full from the last deer, so I went back to the house and started calling to see if I could find someone that wanted some venison. All called said no, or did not answer. I walked over to the neighbors to see if he wanted it. No, but he is full up too, but he had some more people to call, but they all said no. He tried the local processor as they do give extra meat to the needy, and they said yes they would take it.
I went back to the house and got my 357 mag and walked up to the front and dispatched it with one Lee 358-158-RF to the head. Walked back to the house put the 357 up got in my truck and with the neighbor helping, we loaded it in the back. Turned right on the road out and 30 yards down the road what do I see but a injured doe in the ditch. Neighbor says do you have a gun? I had put up the 357, but had my Ruger 380 LCP in my pocket. I handed him my gun and he put the doe down with a lee 356-95-RF to the top of the head. We loaded it up with the other and too them to the processor.
Now the big question.
Do these count as official cast Boolit pistol kills?

Taylor
01-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Is it dead?

farmerjim
01-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Is it dead?

Yes, Both.

Actually that is the second deer killed with the 380. One I shot with the 357 Maximum earlier this year was still kicking when I got to it, and I used the pistol to finish it off.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-17-2017, 11:26 AM
I don't have any problem with viewing them as cast boolit kills. What I am dreading is the inevitable questions that will now follow, like, "What sight setting do you use on your LCP .380 on mule deer at 500 yards?" ;)

farmerjim
01-17-2017, 12:27 PM
I don't have any problem with viewing them as cast boolit kills. What I am dreading is the inevitable questions that will now follow, like, "What sight setting do you use on your LCP .380 on mule deer at 500 yards?" ;)

Sort of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_fa1B-TpJs

Der Gebirgsjager
01-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Yeah--pretty much like that. "Dear farmerjim, I saw where you recommended a Ruger LCP .380 for deer hunting, and even scored a head shot. I'd like to hunt with mine, but am having trouble finding a suitable scope mount. Hoping to mount a 12X-24X Bushnell sniper model. Can you help? We've got some pretty wide open spaces out here in Wyoming, and I'm anticipating 1,000 yd. shots like you and Jerry make. Signed, Jug." ;) P.S. Can you recommend a black powder load?

bedbugbilly
01-18-2017, 08:52 PM
As far as the deer and the venison - doesn't your state have a Department of Natural Resources? In Michigan, we do and usually a call to them will get someone there to pick it up and see that the meat get's to a food pantry or shelter that can use it - at least it used to. Years ago, I had a woman driving in front of me by our farm who hit a deer - broke a leg but no real damage to her car. I told her I'd take care of it and she went on to work. I walk up to a neighbor's house and borrowed his 357 and dispatched it. I then called the DNR and they said they'd send someone out to get it and get the meat tp a shelter that could use it. It was below freezing so that wasn't an issue. In the meantime, a car drove by slowly and kept going. I went on to work and in just a short time, a County Sheriff's Deputy showed up looking for me. He said they had had a complaint that I was shooting deer out of season. A quick call to the DNR confirmed my story. I asked who the complainant was and he gave me a name - a neighbor who we had always had problems with coming in trespassing on the farm and who poached deer on a regular basis. When I explained that to him, the lightbulb went on as he had had running with the guy as well. His parting words to me were . . . . "next time, shoot that SOB instead of the deer". All in jest but he wasn't happy having to chase down a frivolous call when there were better things for him to do.