PDA

View Full Version : Cut away view of TC Hawken breech

54bore
01-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Thought this was kinda neat, i seen this on a Facebook page, this is not my photo. It says its a TC Hawken

54bore
01-16-2017, 08:48 AM
And here is TC's Patented Breech scraper tool, you can see why the tool is rounded

waarp8nt
01-16-2017, 08:54 AM
That is neat! Thanks for the picture.

rfd
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
very interesting and cool! thanx for sharing!

bubba.50
01-16-2017, 09:46 AM
wonder why anyone would wanta saw up what appears to be a pretty nice old 45cal T/C barrel thataway?

rond
01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
wonder why anyone would wanta saw up what appears to be a pretty nice old 45cal T/C barrel thataway?
Could have stuck a brush in it.:-D

rfd
01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
could have had issues removing a blown bolster or plug. :-D

54bore
01-16-2017, 12:06 PM

bubba, Exactly my thought when i seen the picture. The guy said it was used in a firearm safety thing of some sort? I cant remember the exact details? I just borrowed the picture to post here

mooman76
01-16-2017, 12:37 PM
In this case a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe more. Thanks for posting even though I don't own a T/C but maybe some day.

FrontierMuzzleloading
01-16-2017, 12:40 PM
tc,cva used a lot of the cut aways to show case their new breech plug designs. I've seen some that even did an entire rifle cut out.

54bore
01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
In this case a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe more. Thanks for posting even though I don't own a T/C but maybe some day.

mooman76, the oddest Patented Breech/Ante chamber i have seen so far is this new TC Scout pistol, it is MUCH MUCH deeper than the picture above, and seems to be smaller in diameter? Like 22 Caliber size would be safe to go in it, i would stil use a good thru style bore brush so it can't come apart like the junk brush i used did! Since the gun was/is new to me i wanted to get in there and make sure it was clean, it wasn't bad at all, but definitely benefited from a good cleaning, and now i can keep it good and clean with my normal 'slush pump' cleaning method in a bucket of warm tap water. A .20 or .22 Caliber brush is a safe bet in the Scout, a 338 is NOT! At least with a cheap press fitted brush

flyingmonkey35
01-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Nice

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Gtek
01-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Been waiting on "THE MAN" and completion of move to get back up and running for a year, just need two now. Seeing them cut up makes me feel better.

oldracer
01-16-2017, 07:39 PM
The Patent breech on my Pedersoli Gibbs is a little smaller in diameter and the fire channel goes right into the side at the bottom, not at an angle like is shown. I imagine as long as the black powder goes boom and the round ball or slug hits the target where aimed then we are okay. I have read several articles where having the small volume of powder to start things is a big improvement???

Omnivore
01-16-2017, 09:35 PM
I have read several articles where having the small volume of powder to start things is a big improvement???

Let's not over-think it.

First there was the flintlock, with a flash hole drilled directly into the side of the barrel, just forward of the breech plug. The breech plug was flat faced, with short thread depth. Out of that arrangement came the "powder drum" of the early percussion era. The powder drum was drilled into the side of the barrel in place of the flintlock's flash hole, and that powder drum had the percussion nipple on it. There are still several of those being made commercially.

Then came the one-piece "breech snail". The snail type breech is a one-piece, integrated percussion ignition breech plug. Since there's no longer a hole drilled directly into the side of the barrel, and since the ignition takes place INSIDE the breech plug itself, of course there must be a powder chamber inside the breech plug. It has nothing to do with "improving" ignition.

Since the old 19th Century Flintlock Longrifles and such had a very shallow thread depth to the breech plug, people started making breech plugs with longer threads. That meant that eitherr the flash hole had to be drilled farther forward on the barrel (changing the whole architecture of the gun and lock), OR you had to have a powder chamber inside the breech plug, and then drill the flash hole through both the barrel and the threaded portion of the breech plug inside the barrel, into the smaller breech chamber.

That's the short story.

The snail breech is MUCH stronger than using a powder drum which must be supported by the lockplate, and it simplifies construction. They are typically investment cast steel, and so they're reasonably simple to make as well, once you have the patterns or molds to make the investments.

54bore
01-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Now here is a direct ignition system! rfd shared this with me, its an L&R lock, and is it ever funky looking! A flint barrel with an 11 nipple in place of the liner or whatever they call that? Be hard pressed to get much more direct ignition than this

fiberoptik
01-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Called a mule ear [emoji101]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk