PDA

View Full Version : Boolit puller

Jimlakeside
06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I loaded 250 rounds of cast boolits that are too small in diameter and I need to pull all of the boolits to salvage the brass and primers. Any suggestions about a simple way to pull the boolit besides those plastic bullet pullers w/collets? I will recast the boolits so it doesn't matter if I mar or damage the boolit. They are all 9MM boolits.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

wfsdno
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Gently grab with a pair of pliers, wiggle and out they'll pop.

Roger

Sprue
06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I myself prefer the Kinetic Hammer style and would not find myself without one. I prefer the kinetic over the RCBS bullet puller system.

I'm sure there are other home remedies that work but the Kinetic is soooo quick, and easy. It does not render damage to the projectile as well.

docone31
06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I use pliers with castings. They need to be really gripped, but out they go.
I remelt and cast over.
For speed, I think a vise would work also.
Lock the bullet, rock and pull.

corvette8n
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I have both the plastic hammer and RCBS collet pullers. I like the way the RCBS works.

compass will
06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I have the RCBS hammer. The trick is to bang it on a concrete floor, you might have to tighten the case holder end a couple times.

I have used it to pull both cast and condom rounds.

When I first started, I had some Colt 45's that I could not pull with pliers but they came right out with the hammer.

Linstrum
06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I use my press with just the shoe that fits the cartridge extractor groove/rim along with slip jaw pliers. I run the cartridge up through the die holder hole in the press frame and then grasp the bullet with the deeply notched part of the pliers jaws. Lower the ram until the pliers are stopped against the top of the press frame then keep lowering it and it will pull the bullet if the pliers grip tightly enough. I have never had any failures to extract, although occasionally I have had to reposition the pliers to get a better bite into the bullet.

The one thing you have to watch carefully is that the hinge pin in the pliers doesn't put a ding into the press threads or the top of the press, but this has never been a problem for me.

rl361

WARD O
06-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I have to side with Linstrum. I have used this method often when removing lead boolits and it is very quick. As long as you are planning on recasting then it doesn't matter if the boolit is scarred.

Ward

compass will
06-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Never thought of using the press like that, that's why I come around here. More people thinking on a problem or sharing there experience helps me to learn a lot. Now if I could just remember it all :-D

beagle
06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Remove the decapping stem from your sizer die and resize to where the base of the bullet is and they'll usually pull out with fringer pressure./beagle

fourarmed
06-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I use the press-and-pliers, as it is much faster than anything else I know of. Somebody else suggested placing a large washer over the top of the press to protect the threads. Good idea!

Thin Man
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
+1 on Linstrum's idea. This is faster than the hammer method, and the boolits will probably get re-cast anyway.

If your slip jaw pliers nose is too short to reach the loaded round, try a heavy set of needle-nose pliers to grab the boolit.

DLCTEX
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I found Morgan Astorbilt's suggestion of using nippers and the press to be great. Pistol boolits require an extened shell holder, like the one by Lyman. Very fast and leaves the powder in the case so you can just seat another boolit on top of the charge if you want. DALE

KCSO
06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Lachmiller made a super bullet pulller years ago and I have made several caliber conversions for this. It is like a pair of pliers with a tapered hole instead of jaws. Run the bullet up in the press, grip wiht the puller and pull the lever down. This will even pull laquered bullets from military cases with no problems. I will try and post a picture toniight in case any one wants to copy it.

XBT
06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I have been using the method described by Linstrum for many years. It works very well on cast boolits that will be remelted.

Watch one thing: Sometimes a flake or two of powder will stick to the bottom of the boolits. If one of these is dropped in an already molten pot it will react the same as water.