PDA

View Full Version : Reloading With Mixed Powders ?

BlackoutBuilder
01-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Has anyone tried loading with mixed powders? I have about a pound and a quarter of various powders that I've collected over the years, HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST, H-110, and wondered it it could be used for anything. I used to lube bullets, and if I pulled them and lube got on the powder, I would just toss it into an empty powder can, which is now a full powder can. The black hodgdon ones. :mrgreen:

If one were to develop a load out of this stuff, how would you go about it?

Or, should I just keep it for SHTF...:twisted:

Shiloh
01-14-2017, 09:02 PM
You are NOT going to develop a load. You are either going to pitch it, light it at dusk for enjoyment, or use the remnants for a few loads with that specific powder. Mixing it, loading, and firing is potential disaster waiting to happen.

I have mixed the last of one bottle of canister powder with the same canister powder in a new bottle and mixed it. An ounce or two ontop of a new pound of the SAME powder.

SHiloh

wmaximusd
01-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Using that to reload anything sounds like the king of bad ideas...use it for fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BK7saum
01-14-2017, 09:38 PM
If the powders havenr been mixed, either load a few loads of that powder to use it up or dump it/light it. Nothing good will come of mixing those powders

If they were all about the same burn rate, i.e. red dot/green dot/Am Select, that were mixed, then a person might use red dot data to be on safe side, but even then not a good idea.

I don't see how mixing rifle and pistol powdere would accomplish anything good.

BlackoutBuilder
01-14-2017, 09:41 PM
These are leftovers, all dumped into one can. I didnt think there was any reloading use for them, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

BK7saum
01-14-2017, 09:50 PM
You're right, it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm not one to throw anything out that can be used, so know where you're coming from.

runfiverun
01-14-2017, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see the chrono numbers and the groups of you do try it :lol:

I dunno how far 4 grs of 4895 with a 1gr H-110 kicker will launch a boolit but I'd bet not too far, i'll lay down good money it'll launch some pretty good roses though.

Joe K
01-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Someone here was using something similar for bore bee loads or shot loads in a revolver which required only a grain or two under corn cob media or something similar. I'll try to find the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?239464-Carpenter-Bee-Load/page2

GhostHawk
01-14-2017, 10:12 PM
I have a small jar of mixed powders. Pulled down loads of unknown powder, blanks taken apart to reuse the brass, once in a while a desktop spill where I prefer not to introduce contaminants into good powder.

Roll up a paper tube and make some flashbangs if you must.
Mix it into solvent to make some nitro shellac, indeed almost anything but try to shoot it.

Put it in brass under a bullet I never would.

Whatever you do with it be dang careful.

Budzilla 19
01-14-2017, 10:21 PM
You know what to do............Dump it. Makes great fertilizer. (You are inviting disaster!!) Just my .02!!!

fatelk
01-14-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm about as cheap as they come, too, and hate to throw out anything that could be usable. I've come up with a little mental tool to help me decide when to throw something out.

If I saw a can of random mixed gunpowder at a gun show for $5 would I buy it? No, I absolutely would not, not worth it. So, should I spend time and energy trying to work up a load all the while worrying if it's safe, to save less than $5? Even if I could find a safe load it wouldn't be remotely worth it.

Using this line of reasoning I find myself throwing more stuff away nowadays.

On the other hand, if a couple ounces of 3031 or 4350 accidentally got dumped into an 8 lb can of 4895, I'd probably just mix it thoroughly and find a good safe load to use it up.

Oklahoma Rebel
01-14-2017, 11:30 PM
dig a small pond. i'll let you figure out how I mean... make sure you are in the middle of nowere...lol:not listening:

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Lol, what Oklahoma Rebel said...

runfiverun
01-15-2017, 12:20 AM
so no video?

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 12:30 AM
ROFL. Thers some things that might be better without eviden... video.

Mytmousemalibu
01-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube has various, "tested till destruction' firearms videos I would check out first. No some might be irritated at the gun abuse but is does serve as a reminder to all shooters and reloaders. We are holding in our hands and near our faces, a controlled explosion, more or less. If it goes wrong, the price can be ultimate. In the mentioned videos the most devastating and ultimate demise of many guns was...... Range trash. Various unburned gunpowders that were swept up from in front of the firing line of an indoor range. Lots of different kinds of mixed powders that caused catastrophic destruction! Mixed powder is a bad, bad idea! Watch it burn in open air or add it to the garden but NEVER add it to a cartridge!

Vinne
01-15-2017, 12:41 AM
You don't want to take a change of blowing up an expensive gun just for the cost of a can of powder. OR the cost of the hospital stay...if you're lucky!!!

OptimusPanda
01-15-2017, 01:46 AM
Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube has various, "tested till destruction' firearms videos I would check out first. No some might be irritated at the gun abuse but is does serve as a reminder to all shooters and reloaders. We are holding in our hands and near our faces, a controlled explosion, more or less. If it goes wrong, the price can be ultimate. In the mentioned videos the most devastating and ultimate demise of many guns was...... Range trash. Various unburned gunpowders that were swept up from in front of the firing line of an indoor range. Lots of different kinds of mixed powders that caused catastrophic destruction! Mixed powder is a bad, bad idea! Watch it burn in open air or add it to the garden but NEVER add it to a cartridge!

LOL remember when he c-clamped the hipoint shut with a 3/8" lagbolt in the barrel?

Reverend Al
01-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Has anyone tried loading with mixed powders? I have about a pound and a quarter of various powders that I've collected over the years, HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST, H-110, and wondered it it could be used for anything.

I have one of the old Winchester round metal ball powder tins on my loading bench and when I pull down junk ammo to salvage the bullets and cases for reuse I dump the wide variety of powder charges into that "mixed powder" can. It is highly entertaining to drop into our backyard fire pit at night about 1 tablespoon at a time ... and I wouldn't use it for anything else except possibly as fertilizer. (I am just FAR too attached to both of my eyes and all 10 of my digits to load it in any of my firearms!)

:shock:

Blanco
01-15-2017, 02:14 AM
Homemade fireworks

gloob
01-15-2017, 05:04 AM
I totally don't recommend it, but I have totally done it.

Here's the rub. I knew exactly the powders that were mixed, and in what approximate amounts. It was Hodgdon HP38 and Hodgdon H335, IIRC. I had dropped the two cans, and the lids blew off, making a small pile. I immediately eyeballed how much of each I figured was in this pile before touching it. And I wrote it down to be sure I wouldn't remember it wrong. And then I scooped it up.

So I looked up some loads for 308 with cast bullets. For CAST centerfire rifle, and cast 308 in particular, there are many documented loads using anywhere from 4 grains of Bullseye on up to 20+ grains of rifle powder. There's just a huge huge giganto range of powder and pressure and velocity that will safely get a cast bullet to at least dribble out of the end of the barrel of a bolt action centerfire rifle with a good case volume and that can handle like 60K psi to begin with. So I just precisely calculated something which I figured would be blazing velocity of "just don't stop in the barrel." I thoroughly mixed up the powder. And it worked great for a super mild, short range plinking load. Perfectly accurate at the shorter ranges I usually shoot, anyway. Of course, I was lucky and any other combination of two different powders would have probably blown up my rifle. :)

From what you have described, nope. Even I wouldn't even try that.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2017, 07:12 AM
about only good for fertilizer

Ballistics in Scotland
01-15-2017, 09:13 AM
We have to depart from the loading density reloaders usually consider, i.e. the volume of powder compared with the total space inside the cartridge. It is a useful yardstick, but what really controls burning is the volume of nitrocellulose compared with the airspace both over and between the grains.

Imagine a ball powder for simplicity. If you put a .03in. ball in a .03in. spherical space, you have a 100% loading density. Two grains in a 0.05in. sphere, the maximum we can fit in, have a loading density of 0.25. As we fill larger and larger spaces, the ratio increases again, until if we fill the entire universe with spheres, we have a loading density just a fraction over 50%. An ordinary cartridge filled with those tiny spheres isn't very different from 50%, and changing the size of the balls doesn't change it much either - if they are all the same.

But if you mix two different sizes of ball, the small ones fit into the spaces between the big ones. The true loading density may become much higher. That is leaving aside how the interaction of different chemical compositions may work out, and the possibility of grains separating out again as you jiggle the powder measure handle, or the cartridges are carried around. My mathematical skills run out short of how cylindrical, disc or flake powders may differ, but I don't think it can be anything good.

As people have said, there are numerous ways of getting better use or more fun out of mixed powders.

Bent Ramrod
01-15-2017, 10:45 AM
First, you need a mixing method that ensures homogeneity from the first charge to the last out of the container. If yours is a mixture of sticks, balls and large and small flakes, it is going to be very difficult to keep the small stuff from separating out of the larger stuff upon storage and handling.

Then you need a combustion bomb, so you can burn samples of this unknown mixture, establish a pressure/burn rate curve, and get an idea of minimum and maximum loadings. This is an expensive piece of specialty equipment, but necessary. Using the breeching, cartridge case, and chamber of your rifle for this task, even if you have those piezoelectric pressure sensors attached, is not a great idea. You would need a cradle and a method of firing remotely, if you insist in this. You would have to think of your gun as an expendable piece of test equipment.

Then, you can start load development. Hopefully, by the time you are done, you'll still have half of that canister of powder left, with which you can load your cartridges with the best weight for accuracy or whatever. When the powder is gone, you'll have put a lot of work and expense into getting pressure and load data for a powder you will never see again.

Worth it? Well, that's up to you. I love to play with partial cans of obsolete powders, and do, as the other poster has mentioned, put the tailings of one can of powder into the next can of the same powder. A friend had several pounds of a mixture like yours in a large metal can, and asked me if I could use it some way. There were even a few live, but dudded or obsolete/unfireable cartridges in there. I set the can out away from everybody, inserted a piece of fuse, lit it, and withdrew. It was pretty spectacular for five seconds or so. Interestingly, it did not cook off any of the cartridges. We wound up burying those.

That was the only use I could think of for that stuff. :mrgreen:

dragon813gt
01-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Fertilizer
/thread

Tackleberry41
01-15-2017, 11:22 AM
I knew a guy who decided to mix powders, no idea where he got the idea. But figured he could mix trailboss and another powder for use in a 300AAC. Somebody with a brain would have quit after the first one, when the bullet barely made it out of the barrel. No he ended up with 2 208gr Amax stuck in his brand new rifle. He didnt even try factory stuff in it, went straight for the home brew. Then as if that wasnt bad enough, watched him and another guy try to beat the bullets out of the barrel. They used a long spade drill bit and the back end of an axe. How they thought the barrel would even be useful after I dont know. They beat on em and beat on em, from both ends, didnt budge. I was told the 'gunsmith' of the group got em out using a lathe and the barrel was fine, tho he was known for lying, so really dont see the crown or throat surviving such treatment.

Mixed powder is something you just dump in the yard. Smokeless doesnt even make very good fireworks.

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 12:21 PM
My condolences to the fellow blackout builders over this preventable loss.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2017, 12:23 PM
I too, have a difficult time, throwing things away.

I have some mixed powder in a plastic pretzel jug, mostly from old mil surp pull downs, but also from other situations where powder got mixed or 'lightly' contaminated or whatever. I would never use this 'scrap' for building ammo for firearms and I would never store it in a factory powder container (even if labeled as mixed or some such re-labeling) for fear of someone else mistaking it for good powder for reloading when my estate is dispersed after my passing.

Mostly I use mixed/unknown powders for fuse type applications...but I like the flash-bang idea.

mdi
01-15-2017, 12:29 PM
The only legitimate mixing of powders I've heard of was "Duplex Loads" and that isn't what you're asking about...

roysha
01-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Many years ago I was hanging around with some "survivalist" types and one of the things I took away from that association was a rather reliable emergency fire starter. Gunpowder was dissolved in acetone till it made a sort of clay like mass. Some of the dissolved powder was then kneaded into a heavy, multi-strand cotton string/cord. We shaped the "goo" using a metal 35mm film can, (anyone still remember them?), cut appropriate lengths of the impregnated cotton string, inserted them into the little cylinder formed by the film can to form a sort of fuse, and let them dry. After they were well dried (ie: all the acetone evaporated) we put them in the newer plastic cans and snapped the lids on. When needed, light the string and it in turn ignites the dissolved powder. It does not flare like loose powder and burns a surprisingly long time with very good wind resistance. I still have one in my OLD Carhartt parka that was from probably 30+years ago. Still as good as the day I put it in there.

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 12:42 PM
I love your avatar mdi.

I keep it in a can with a red lid and no label at all.

blackthorn
01-15-2017, 01:18 PM
I throw out any mixed powder or powder that is suspect in any way. That said, I have wondered if powder such as is under discussion here would be usable for fire-forming donor brass, starting about 2.5 to 3.0 grains?

gwpercle
01-15-2017, 01:21 PM
You have been visited by the Bad Idea Fairy.....Don't listen to her , drive her away.
Never follow the Bad Idea Fairy.

ascast
01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
yes, some off them are dead, or mangled ! duh ! it makes great fertilizer

screwcutter
01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Has anyone tried loading with mixed powders? I have about a pound and a quarter of various powders that I've collected over the years, HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST, H-110, and wondered it it could be used for anything. I used to lube bullets, and if I pulled them and lube got on the powder, I would just toss it into an empty powder can, which is now a full powdere can. The black hodgdon ones. :mrgreen:

If one were to develop a load out of this stuff, how would you go about it?

Or, should I just keep it for SHTF...:twisted:

Your'e kidding, right!!!

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2017, 04:04 PM
id bet you could mix it with melted bees wax and make a good fire starter.
Many years ago I was hanging around with some "survivalist" types and one of the things I took away from that association was a rather reliable emergency fire starter. Gunpowder was dissolved in acetone till it made a sort of clay like mass. Some of the dissolved powder was then kneaded into a heavy, multi-strand cotton string/cord. We shaped the "goo" using a metal 35mm film can, (anyone still remember them?), cut appropriate lengths of the impregnated cotton string, inserted them into the little cylinder formed by the film can to form a sort of fuse, and let them dry. After they were well dried (ie: all the acetone evaporated) we put them in the newer plastic cans and snapped the lids on. When needed, light the string and it in turn ignites the dissolved powder. It does not flare like loose powder and burns a surprisingly long time with very good wind resistance. I still have one in my OLD Carhartt parka that was from probably 30+years ago. Still as good as the day I put it in there.

Ballistics in Scotland
01-15-2017, 07:22 PM
The only legitimate mixing of powders I've heard of was "Duplex Loads" and that isn't what you're asking about...

I think duplex loads with two smokeless powders are a risky expedient to get extreme results, and could only be safe with a full case or some kind of divider to keep them from mixing. Even then it probably ought to be tested in a pressure gun stronger than the intended firearm

A small amount of fast smokeless behind black powder is far more useful and safer

Solid fuel rocket motors, usually black powder for amusement but smokeless in some military rockets, are made by pressing the softened powder mass into a hollow cylinder with a tapered mandrel. Some ether in the solvent might be surer of working with all powders, though. Some of those rocket motors have a considerably higher nitroglycerin content than firearms powder, for as they don't have a reusable nozzle, erosion isn't a problem. I don't know whether they are made from a soft paste, or what the effect of porousness in the rocket propellant might be. But I would only use a very slight trace of moistening if there was any chance of a double base powder in there. I think the chances of beads of nitroglycerin separating out are very slight, but it is something you really do not want to happen.

In the old Iraqi positions on the beaches in Kuwait city I found many cartridge cases which had obviously been unloaded with pliers or something, and I think that was done by soldiers, to start fires. They included quite a few civilian cartridges, which hadn't been anybody's official issue, including one .460 Weatherby, which would be handy if anybody ever invents a bigger elephant. I think it had been looted from one or other of the very wealthy Kuwaiti houses nearby.

nvbirdman
01-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Red ant nests love mixed powders.

30Carbine
01-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Go a head and load it y are you guy saying no. let him do it one less leach on the rest of the world. can't even fathom you thought of this much less asked the question here's your award. take the labels off and let GOD sort it out.

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Why are you being a jerk? Most of us are having fun with this thread.

Jack Stanley
01-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Why , ol' Jug Johnson wouldn't be afeared to load 'em up . Prolly work good in thet round thet him n' Skeeter Skelton worked on .

Jack

Ballistics in Scotland
01-16-2017, 06:47 AM

We still are, and will probably have no trouble getting to work on Monday morning.

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2017, 06:51 AM
yup maybe you should cool your jets a bit. Not everyone is an experienced handloader and understands things like this. I give him credit for asking.
Go a head and load it y are you guy saying no. let him do it one less leach on the rest of the world. can't even fathom you thought of this much less asked the question here's your award. take the labels off and let GOD sort it out.

trixter
01-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Good down gopher holes, unlit.

mdi
01-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Muh Pappy mixed sum gun powder in wif his dog food fer the watch dogs around his still. Mad 'em real mean...

Gohon
01-16-2017, 02:39 PM

You shouldn't be surprised...there is always one hanging around.

I suspect you really already knew the answer but asking first is always better than diving in without knowing the depth of the water. Sounds like you were using a impact bullet puller. When I use one to pull bullets and there is powder on the bullet lube I consider the powder contaminated and throw it away. Same thing for when I don't know what the powder is. That's just me though...

Tackleberry41
01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Be surprised what people will do, there was a member in another forum, he was here to for a bit. He had asked about grinding smokeless powder to change its burn rate. Obviously a bad idea, as how would you know the new burn rate without a laboratory? Not something your going to figure out with a stop watch. He argued and argued and argued. He wasnt gonna be bothered with buying a data book. Dont know if he blew himself up or not. But plenty of really questionable reloaders out there.

fatelk
01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
But plenty of really questionable reloaders out there.

Sure is. Main reason to not shoot someone else's reloads.

fredj338
01-16-2017, 07:58 PM
These are leftovers, all dumped into one can. I didnt think there was any reloading use for them, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

YOu would label that WT-F powder & toss it. There is no way to get an even mix of powder in one can like that. It would be diff every time you shook it up.

BlackoutBuilder
01-16-2017, 08:13 PM
You shouldn't be surprised...there is always one hanging around.

I suspect you really already knew the answer but asking first is always better than diving in without knowing the depth of the water. Sounds like you were using a impact bullet puller. When I use one to pull bullets and there is powder on the bullet lube I consider the powder contaminated and throw it away. Same thing for when I don't know what the powder is. That's just me though...

Yep, I figured that I did know the answer, but wanted to find out if anything was useful with it. I do hate wasting stuff.

For awhile though I thought Hitalry was going to get us into it with Russia, or start a martial law, in which in either case, some certain materials like that might come in handy.

runfiverun
01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
if we get in it with Russia some contaminated powder would be pretty far down the list of necessary items.

RP
01-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Well to me there is a big difference between someone that ask a ? that turns out to be a bad idea and the person that is told something is bad and keeps doing it.
I meet a fellow on the job site as we were talking he told me he reloaded for his 357 pistol. I asked him what bullet and powder he liked and his answer was the jacketed ones and he filled the case up and he really liked the big fire ball he got when he shot it. I told him there was load data for different powders and he could really hurt himself or someone around him doing that. He thought that was just funny and said hes been doing it that way for awhile with no problems. That is the guy as long as he is the only one hurt I really dont care since hes been told and refused to listen.

M-Tecs
01-16-2017, 09:00 PM
HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST and H-110 have a huge burning rate difference and that basically makes it unusable of most applications.

I mostly shoot long range competition I rarely purchase anything less that 8 pounds jugs simply because I don't want to deal with lot to lot variations so the idea of using contaminated unknown powder mixtures is totally foreign to me. That being said if it was just IMR 4895 and H-4895 you could use H4895 data since it's slightly faster.

BlackoutBuilder
01-16-2017, 09:38 PM
I met a guy at a range who was shooting a HiPoint 9mm (380?) He was shooting cast, probably pure lead, and hadnt apparently heard of a sizing die. I looked at his bore, and there was so much lead fouling, that I literally couldnt see the rifling. At All. I gave him a couple pointers which he quickly dismissed. I just wished him good luck.

John Boy
01-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Homemade fireworks Blanco thinking out of the box!
Mix it 50:50 with black powder - pour and compress in small paper tubes - buy fuse from Powder Inc ( https://powderinc.com/product-category/fuse/ ) - put in tube - seal with hot glue - Happy 4th of July!

BlackoutBuilder
01-16-2017, 09:48 PM
I didnt think that was legal.

M-Tecs
01-16-2017, 09:56 PM
I didnt think that was legal.

http://www.skylighter.com/Shell-Kits.asp

http://www.pyrodirect.com/Category/fireworks_construction

http://www.pyrocreations.com/

Hogtamer
01-16-2017, 09:59 PM
yellow jacket nest, tomato fertilizer, I guess surely you're joking but if it was a legit question these guys that came across real strong did so for a reason, and it's not because they don't like you

OS OK
01-16-2017, 10:08 PM
We used to roll our own firecrackers when we were kids...we back engineered a few duds to see what to do and then the day after the 4'th of July was just as much fun as the fourth....re-rolling duds...

Still have all the fingers and two good eyes...God loves me!

lightman
01-16-2017, 11:28 PM
I have a fruit jar on my loading table that I put powder in. Its mostly from the 22's and other duds that I pick up at the range. When it gets full I pour it out on the sidewalk in a line and sneak up on the end and light it. The kids loved it and now the Grandkids do. Load it? No way! Never! Not Me! No way! Now, when I get down to the last few ounces of powder in a can I will dump it into a newer can of powder, shake it up well and load with it. I make double shure that its the same powder, number and brand, before I do this. Even with the shortages and inflated prices, using unknown powder is just too risky for me. I thought about using it in our cannon but the cannon was designed for black powder. Still too risky for me! I won't buy or use opened powder either. Just too risky!

BlackoutBuilder
01-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Yeah, don't use it in a cannon. Youre looking for boom, not kaboom.

lightman
01-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Actually, we built the cannon and I believe it would stand the pressure. But to err on caution, no, we won't do it. Its just too much risk.

mdi
01-17-2017, 12:08 PM
if we get in it with Russia some contaminated powder would be pretty far down the list of necessary items.

Yep, "Red Dawn" is a fantasy. If it came to a shootin' confrontation the fellers in Washington and Moscow would jes be pushing buttons...

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 12:15 PM
I dont think either side would be using nukes. Putin condemns the US for using them in Japan, and seems to value life. He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.

Thinking that there wouldnt be riflemen in a US soil fight, is like when back in Vietnam, they thought they didnt need a gun on a fighter jet.

dverna
01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
I dont think either side would be using nukes. Putin condemns the US for using them in Japan, and seems to value life. He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.

Thinking that there wouldnt be riflemen in a US soil fight, is like when back in Vietnam, they thought they didnt need a gun on a fighter jet.

Putin is doing a fine job in Syria. Many are allowed to leave and seek refuge in other countries. We have been "blessed" with some coming here to find safety with infidels.

Seriously...Putin has only one interest....Russia. He would destroy us in a second IF he could get away with it.

Don Verna

Mr Humble
01-17-2017, 01:29 PM
The only exception is the old Keith trick of 10 gr of 2400 under 60 gr of FFG in a 45-70 proofed for nitro.

Even that is obsolete now that we have Alliant Black which shoots well, makes smoke and smells good.

One smokeless round after 20 of these removes 95% of the fouling.

Outpost75
01-17-2017, 01:54 PM
The above discussion falls into the "Hold my beer and watch this!...." category aka "How to Blow Up Yur Gun"

I use junk mixed powders blended with Vaseline and drier lint for fire starting fuel, which is easy to light with a ferro rod and produces a good hot flame which doesn't get blown out in the wind and is a reliable igniter on cold rainy days...

Ballistics in Scotland
01-18-2017, 11:05 AM
yellow jacket nest, tomato fertilizer, I guess surely you're joking but if it was a legit question these guys that came across real strong did so for a reason, and it's not because they don't like you

Coming across real strong on this issue is perfectly reasonable. It was an idea that can get people hurt, and although the OP didn't need a lot of convincing, there will always be people who haven't posted, but will only remember in a year or two's time "I saw this idea talked about on the internet once."

I might have glimpsed somebody coming across real weak, but hardly anybody

Gohon
01-18-2017, 11:47 AM
He knows that the American people arent on the side of the American government, and doesnt want to harm civilians. There are enough Americans who want the US.gov overthrown, that the Russians would have a lot of help from US citizens who would see their invasion as a means to the end of US tyranny.

Though the above quote hasn't a darn thing to do with the thread subject, I at first found the comment to be dumb but funny, then realized just how sad it really was. Scares the heck out of me that a gun owner might actually think this way. :veryconfu

BlackoutBuilder
01-18-2017, 11:54 AM
We live in a nation where you can lose your business for not baking a cake, you can go to jail for self medication or drinking milk, or dancing at a monument, you have to get a license to exercise a right, and might get raided for saying this or that online, California gun laws..., if you have anxiety and need SSI you cant own a gun, oaths mean nothing, and there is a lot more.

BlackoutBuilder
01-18-2017, 12:21 PM
What bothers me about most gun owners, is that they dont know what the Second Amendment is really for.

Texas by God
01-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Back to the OP. if you have fire ants, pour it on the mound, stir lightly with a stick to piss them off, then light it and laugh maniacally. But don't reload with it. Ever. No. Best, Thomas.

Electric88
01-18-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm with Oklahoma Rebel. Make you a nice hole somewhere. Cheaper than tannerite too.

fredj338
01-18-2017, 03:57 PM

You are joking right?? Putin has probably killed more civilians than most 3rd world country dictators. He is a criminal & thug.

Mr Humble
01-30-2017, 12:28 PM
The only "fighter" in Nam that lacked a gun was the F-4 which really wasn't much of a turn and burn fighter.

All other USAF and Navy "fighters" had guns. Most air to air shootdowns by both sides were not done with guns.

The lesson was learned and the F-4 was retro fitted and every fighter since has had a gun.

The Russian have neither the tools nor the desire to invade the USA. B.O.B. obviously missed the part about all the Boomers we have out there. I'm far more concerned about snowflakes and their enablers than the Russians.

Eddie Southgate
01-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Bought a 1 lb bottle of Little gun not too long after they started making it . Loaded 12 gr with 35 gr V maxe's . That was below their stated max for that combo. First shot fired and the bolt had to be pounded open . You could read Winchester 218 Bee on the bolt face but no longer could it be read on the head of the case . Thought it was my mistake so I fired one more . Same results . Called Hodgdon and George said to send him 12 loaded rounds to test and he would get back with me . I did and he did . He said he tested one load as sent and his pressure rig would not read it so he unloaded one and used half the charge for the next test . Still tested off the chart. He wanted to know if I used any TiteGroup , I said yes . He said you have mixed Titegroup and Little Gun . I said no , it was loaded from a new un opened pound of Little gun and I never have but one powder on the bench at a time so I could not have mixed it . Could not convince him . He said they could not possibly mix it as they only have one powder on line at any one time so there would be no way they could have mixed it . I thanked him and hung up.

One week later the head man from Hodgdon called me and told me there had been some more complaints following mine and that he would send me two pounds of Little Gun and replacement components for the ones I sent them . One week later I received 2 lbs Little gun, 200 Winchester .218 Bee cases and a sleeve of 10 boxes of 35 gr V max bullets . He also sent a head space gauge for my Model 43 Winchester . Luckily the rifle had no lasting damage . Yes , I also got an apology call from George .

I would not ever for any reason or amount of money ever shoot mixed powder on purpose . I do not let it accumulate . When I break old ammo down for components I scrap the powder as soon as the last round is dumped . I also do not dump it in any kind of glass or metal container. Knew two kids that died breaking down fire crackers into a mason jar when I was a kid and I ain't forgot the lesson they never got to learn. You do what you want but it ain't worth it to me.

Eddie

M-Tecs
01-31-2017, 12:26 AM
Bought a 1 lb bottle of Little gun not too long after they started making it . Loaded 12 gr with 35 gr V maxe's . That was below their stated max for that combo. First shot fired and the bolt had to be pounded open . You could read Winchester 218 Bee on the bolt face but no longer could it be read on the head of the case . Thought it was my mistake so I fired one more . Same results . Called Hodgdon and George said to send him 12 loaded rounds to test and he would get back with me . I did and he did . He said he tested one load as sent and his pressure rig would not read it so he unloaded one and used half the charge for the next test . Still tested off the chart. He wanted to know if I used any TiteGroup , I said yes . He said you have mixed Titegroup and Little Gun . I said no , it was loaded from a new un opened pound of Little gun and I never have but one powder on the bench at a time so I could not have mixed it . Could not convince him . He said they could not possibly mix it as they only have one powder on line at any one time so there would be no way they could have mixed it . I thanked him and hung up.

One week later the head man from Hodgdon called me and told me there had been some more complaints following mine and that he would send me two pounds of Little Gun and replacement components for the ones I sent them . One week later I received 2 lbs Little gun, 200 Winchester .218 Bee cases and a sleeve of 10 boxes of 35 gr V max bullets . He also sent a head space gauge for my Model 43 Winchester . Luckily the rifle had no lasting damage . Yes , I also got an apology call from George .

I would not ever for any reason or amount of money ever shoot mixed powder on purpose . I do not let it accumulate . When I break old ammo down for components I scrap the powder as soon as the last round is dumped . I also do not dump it in any kind of glass or metal container. Knew two kids that died breaking down fire crackers into a mason jar when I was a kid and I ain't forgot the lesson they never got to learn. You do what you want but it ain't worth it to me.

Eddie

Thanks for sharing your story. I really enjoyed reading it.

BlackoutBuilder
01-31-2017, 09:51 AM
As did I. One more reason to load with Hodgdon powders.

Because of the Hodgdon mission statement, I decided to use Hodgdon powders exclusively.

As it is, I have a half can or so of A-1680, when that runs out, I'll be switching to CFE BLK. As it is, I use H-4895 in the AR, and the M1A, HS-6 in the .40, and will of course, use CFE BLK in the Blackout.

MISSION STATEMENT

Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, familes, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Electric88
01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
As did I. One more reason to load with Hodgdon powders.

Because of the Hodgdon mission statement, I decided to use Hodgdon powders exclusively.

As it is, I have a half can or so of A-1680, when that runs out, I'll be switching to CFE BLK. As it is, I use H-4895 in the AR, and the M1A, HS-6 in the .40, and will of course, use CFE BLK in the Blackout.

MISSION STATEMENT

Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, familes, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.

I didn't know that was their mission statement. Really cool!