PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of casting, need help figuring out how to sell my equip.

sixstrings101
01-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Time, family and work have gotten in the way. Also I am loosing my location to continue casting. So as much as it saddens me, I have to unload my set up.
I have well over a half ton of lead between range scrap and cast ingots, two melting pots (an old saeco and a brand new in box pro melt), burner and pot for making ingots, handles, molds, sizer, thousands of gas checks, lyman lube sizer, star lube sizer and a bucket full of bullet lube sticks. Also have a cart that I had alot of the things set up on. Probably a hell of a lot more that i'm forgetting while typing this up. I need to get a chance to do a complete inventory and take pictures of the equipment. Im asking the forum to suggest if I should sell as one big lot (obviously shipping would be extremely difficult) or break it down item by item?

Hardcast416taylor
01-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Location for a possible Face to Face?Robert

sixstrings101
01-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Southeast Pennsylvania

kmrra
01-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a great deal if someone in your area would take it all, Im just getting back int casting Myself, My dad died 27 years ago and after that I helped my mom liquidate my dads stuff , Ilost interest in relaoding and guns after his passing and didnt get back into shooting and reloading until Sandyhook incident , and boy did the bug hit me hard this , thank god I have a wife that likes the same things that I do now or I would have already been divorced again , Good luck in your sale and sorry that your dont have time for your hobby , It will turn around , unless you just need the money , you might just want to store your stuff somewhere if you have that option

sixstrings101
01-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Money isnt the issue. Not enough hours in the day to juggle two jobs and family as it is. I know I have an excellent set up for someone who definitely wants to commit to casting. Great hobby for sure and requires alot of discipline. Makes you appreciate each round you make. At this time in my life, i need to move it to someone who can really use it an appreciate it.

Butchman205
01-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Sounds like time is the problem, and it takes time to sell it in piecemeal.
However, if you sell it in one big lot...you can plan on losing about 1/2 the $ you could have gotten selling it in several small lots.

-Butchman

M-Tecs
01-14-2017, 08:01 PM
At some point you will regret selling it. Store it until you need it.

dragon813gt
01-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Shoot me a price and list of everything. I'm in SE PA so a FTF is doable. I'm talking for everything to make it easy.

John Boy
01-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Put an ad up at your gun club

ascast
01-14-2017, 08:21 PM
I am in CNY so FTF is doable for me as well. I would like to see a complete list, details etc. before I drive down. If your other offers fall out or get sticky, or partials.

mummer1973
01-14-2017, 08:30 PM
pm sent... I live in wilmigton del,

bbogue1
01-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Your love of the sport will not go away, your current situation WILL change. Store the minimum you need to start up again and get rid of the rest. At some point in your life you may meet someone who could use the equipment or you could find yourself with time on your hands or you want to mentor someone. Don't make a rash decision just to feel the deck has been cleared and you can move to a new life, it is impossible, you can't do that. That bug bit you tooo hard. Maybe get rid of the press and buy a Lee Loader for each caliber. Maybe get rid of the triple beam scale in favor of a slim digital. Maybe a Lee Perfect Powder will store in a smaller space and is usable for the small amount of loading you'll be doing. I realize I do not know what equipment you have so these suggestions are an attempt at examples to scale way back but not jump out all together. Once you have reduced your inventory after a few years you may decide your decision was right or wrong and you can proceed with knowledge available at that time.

I was a professional industrial photographer then a portrait photographer. I owned soooo much equipment. When my wife and I decided to move to a warmer place we chose the cream of the equipment with an eye toward portability and storage, thinking we most likely were done with photography. We held many, many garage sales and eBay was such a help. We underpriced everything only for those who were just getting started in photography, everybody else paid a higher price. Now 3 years into our "new" location we still have use of that equipment because we are asked what we did before we moved here. That has spawned a few portrait assignments every year and I am so pleased we have good equipment. I still get an itch to photograph scenes and objects even though we closed the studio in 2011

Best wishes, make a decision and stick to it, you'll experience more peace because of it.

JMax
01-14-2017, 10:37 PM
I am in No VA and a ftf is possible fo me as well. Please provide a list when available.

Bzcraig
01-14-2017, 10:39 PM
At some point you will regret selling it. Store it until you need it.

This is my thought was well since it's not a money issue.

1988-4551
01-14-2017, 10:50 PM
I'll chip in my two cents for saving it. Before I seriously got back into shooting sports I juggled two jobs before being married and having kids, situation changed great work life balance now and I'm slowly building my casting/reloading set up.

Vinne
01-15-2017, 12:32 AM
I too had to take a break from reloading and casting for 15 or so years. Money isnt the issue for you so just store it away somewhere dry and safe. You don't have to feed it and it will be there when the day comes that you have more time...like me. Years from now when you do have time, money will be the issue with cost going up every year. If at that time you want to get the most up-to-date setup, you can always sell your old equipment for a better price.

Artful
01-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Mine sat for awhile - I vote keep it all.

Strtspdlx
01-15-2017, 02:32 PM
ill be in Malvern pa Tuesday and Wednesday for training, if that's close shoot me a pm and ill stop by and probably buy something.

HABCAN
01-15-2017, 03:02 PM
O.m.g.!!! Keep it!

Beagle333
01-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Another vote here for storing it. You're going to take a bath on a lump sale. I know that piecing it out takes time, but you'd definitely be rewarded for that.
But..... if any way possible, and you're not in a rush to dump it.... store it in a climate controlled storage for a while and see how you feel about it later.

salpal48
01-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Since your in PA. Every week There is a Gun show Somewhere. Harrisburg, Lancaster, Monroeville. Rent a Table and sell it. I always sell In Allentown. . The best way always Buyers

ncbearman
01-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Another way to consider is breaking it up into smaller "lots" pricing it that way you will get more for each lot.

trapper9260
01-15-2017, 04:26 PM
I say keep and store it all. But if you think you need to let some of it go keep the main things. When I move from MA and before I got back here to IA I had took all my reloading and trapping things with me and I had some was thinking I was going to sell all my traps and said no .It was some time before I started trapping again then longer before I got back into reloading and now I doing both and did not regret anything for letting any go.Just think of it . It remind me of some will sell all there traps when the fur price is down and then go back out and buy some traps when the price is back up.You said you do not need the money so store it till you ready to get back into it.also maybe one of your family members would like to do it with you later on.You will beable to have the gear to teach them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Time, family and work have gotten in the way. Also I am loosing my location to continue casting. So as much as it saddens me, I have to unload my set up.
I have well over a half ton of lead between range scrap and cast ingots, two melting pots (an old saeco and a brand new in box pro melt), burner and pot for making ingots, handles, molds, sizer, thousands of gas checks, lyman lube sizer, star lube sizer and a bucket full of bullet lube sticks. Also have a cart that I had alot of the things set up on. Probably a hell of a lot more that i'm forgetting while typing this up. I need to get a chance to do a complete inventory and take pictures of the equipment. Im asking the forum to suggest if I should sell as one big lot (obviously shipping would be extremely difficult) or break it down item by item?

Are you sure?
seems a shame, sounds like you've put a lot of effort into accumulating alloy and equip.
Finding a storage type deal with someone, might be an alternative.

farmbif
01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
I vote keep essentials stored you never know what the future holds and replacing an extensive set up is costly to say the least.

hlvabeach
01-15-2017, 05:41 PM
My vote is to keep it too. UT, If you decide to sell I am in SE PA too. Send me an inventory and your asking price. Thanks.

dverna
01-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Listen to JonB.

You will regret selling it

Don Verna

Phlier
01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm sure glad my Father kept every bit of his casting and reloading equipment... ;)

laveritt
01-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Consider keeping/ storing it. You seems to really care about the hobby. Time issues may improve as some time passes by. Things change.

garym1a2
01-26-2017, 02:13 PM
I would sell it. If you store it 5-10 years it becomes junk, and takes money and space to store it.

LuckyDog
01-27-2017, 03:30 PM
Your love of the sport will not go away, your current situation WILL change. ...

THIS!

Wipe it all down with a heavy oil and store it somewhere.

JimB..
01-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Sell it all, it can be replaced later, life is too short to worry about "stuff" that you might want later.

except maybe molds, they are small and easily stored but can be difficult to replace.

just my opinion.

DerekP Houston
01-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Sell it all, it can be replaced later, life is too short to worry about "stuff" that you might want later.

except maybe molds, they are small and easily stored but can be difficult to replace.

just my opinion.

This would be my opinion as well, stuff can always be replaced later if you really feel the urge. Liquidating it now you will lose some value but you also don't have to pay any for storage or worry about moving it around. I'd start with just selling off the lead and see how it goes.

Half Dog
01-27-2017, 04:33 PM
I vote with the ones who are suggesting that you keep your equipment. If you need a place to store it....lol

Smk SHoe
01-27-2017, 10:01 PM
I would keep the items that are not easily replaced. ( special molds, old pots, lead) and liquidate the rest. It's to easy to order another mold.

Thin Man
01-31-2017, 08:27 AM
So time, family and work (times 2) are taking all your time, along with the loss of a location to cast? Been there, done that, just not with the loss of a location to cast.

The REAL question to ask yourself is - do you enjoy casting, handloading and shooting to the point that you would continue with these if the inconvenience of space management was not in the way? Do these activities provide you with a sense of accomplishment, relaxation and the satisfaction that comes from doing activities that others can only dream about doing? If any of these questions are answered with a "yes" you would only look over your shoulder later and ask yourself "just what was I not thinking about when I unloaded all my gear if only for a temporary convenience."

I have worked 2 jobs at the same time, either of which would constitute "full-time" status, along with keeping SWMBO happy and raising 3 daughters. Along with work and family came illnesses, one which consumed all our energy for over 6 years while one daughter fought off cancer (she is still alive and lives with us). During all these challenges I had many times when my handloading and casting activities were ignored, but remained available as my vent to relieve the pressures that built up around me. Without these vents I could have imploded multiple times.

Now our circumstance has evolved and we enjoy a rather sedate, but busy lifestyle. My retirement work is active, the wife and children are all well, and I am accelerating the handloading and casting. Would I have missed my time on the bench if I had sold out? You betcha. Will you? Probably.

So you can't cast now. Store everything. Treat your gear like a close friend who has suddenly moved to another state far away. The day will come when your space management issue will evaporate and that close friend will move back closer and you can renew the friendship. It will happen and you will be glad you saved his phone number. As another poster commented - replacing your gear will be much more difficult and expensive than selling it or paying for a storage locker. No greater truth has ever been spoken and yes I have been there also. Do yourself a favor and store everything. You will thank yourself many times later.

Thin Man

Shiloh
01-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Keep it!! Alox the steel molds, and anything prone to rusting.

Shiloh

starreloader
01-31-2017, 10:24 PM
I have to go with the "keep it, store it", you will probably someday find the time and place to start up again. Been down that road of 2 jobs and no time for anything but work. Store it for now. Take some time to see how your situation may improve. It took me 20 years to get back into casting and loading again. Today I have equipment that would cost close to 60K+ if I had to replace everything, and it was all bought back in the early to mid 70's for way less than today's replacement cost.

John Boy
01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Gent's asking for a complete list of sixstrings casting equipment will require his time and effort. So for those interested - be patient!

I need to get a chance to do a complete inventory and take pictures of the equipment.
* Just to get an accurate count of his lead, he will have to rent a freight scale to get an accurate count
* If he has many molds as I do - 293, I hope he has done a spreadsheet to list and price them. I have molds that cost from $320 down to Lee's. Gonna take time

Rockzilla
02-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Would be interested if you want to sell it, but as many have mentioned keep it, I too got out of shooting, reloading casting, etc. but kept everything, glad I did, "if" I had to replace it, the money it would cost now..and the way it was made back then compared to now..well, just glad I kept it.

-Rock

jessdigs
02-08-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a complete setup. But I'm in California. It works be nice if someone here were unloading.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sw Idaho
02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
As others have said. Keep it, when you have time or the bug bites you, it will be there. Plus the cost to replace it may be more then you want.

RogerDat
02-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Prices for equipment and molds are steady to rising over time. It will always sell, possibly for more over time. And cost you more to replace than you will get from selling it. So you oil it pack up the equipment nice and snug. And store it. Unless your figure where you domicile will never have space for casting or general situation will preclude ever getting back into casting a couple of modest boxes shouldn't over tax the storage. Maybe figure out two boxes of a size you figure you can store and load them with your favorite or most useful equipment, sell what won't fit in the boxes.

Nice wood chest as a living room or foot of bed decoration can hold a pretty complete set up for casting and reloading. Couple of moderate size boxes stacked on floor of a closet or basement shelf can do the same.

Krieger82
02-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Late to the party but I say store it. For me reloading and casting are a connection to my father since he taught be everything and it was a shared activity. I have not had time for the last 10 years to really pursue it with gusto, but always made sure I had a small, mobile set up to keep doing it. The last two years I didnt and as soon as I set up again, the catharsis was tangible. I agree with an earlier post, store the bare minimum to get started and sell the rest if need be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk