PDA

View Full Version : 30-40 Krag MGM Barrel...

BCB
01-14-2017, 03:17 PM
I started the following threads as time goes by! I put them there just as a reference…

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319693-Custom-Made-30-40-Krag-Barrel&highlight=

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?324795-Seating-Depth-of-NOE-311-202-RN&highlight=

Regardless, I did a bit of measuring yesterday and today. The diameters of the following boolits at the widest point before the front driving band…

Lee C309-200-RN=0.2985”
Lyman 311041=0.3011”
NOE 311-202-RN=0.3021”

The T/C Encore barrel that has been such a headache (put nicely) would allow the Lee and Lyman boolits to be inserted into the muzzle, the Lee easily and the Lyman with very minimal force…

The MGM barrel would not allow any to be inserted except the Lee. I did push a pure lead 311-202-RN into the rifling just ahead of the chamber and it fit very very tight. I didn’t force it…

I did load a few of the NOE 311-202-RN yesterday and fired one, then cleaned the bore. I fired number 2 and cleaned the bore. I continued to follow MGM’s method of breaking in a barrel…

I then loaded 10 to take to the range. The load was sort of a generic load just to get the rifle on paper at 50 yards. I used 9.0 Trail Boss and seated the boolit to have an OCL of 3.139” this length just allowed the boolit to engrave the rifling, but actually the bore as the NOE is a bore rider. I wished to have a greater OCL but I could not get the round to chamber. With the mentioned OCL, the boolit is still within the neck of the case—love those long-necked cases…

I fired one shot (shot #3 from the barrel) at 25 yards and it was about 2.5” high—on paper it was. I then cleaned the barrel again…

I moved the target to 50 yards and fired 3 shots (#4, #5, and #6 from the barrel). The group was 0.30” center to center. I’ll take that for sure—hopefully I can get proportional accuracy at 100 yards or at least 0.75”…

Two more shots were fired over my chrony just to see what velocity the Trail Boss was producing. The average was 1003 fps and the 2 velocities were close to being the same…

These results are certainly much much too early to even consider, but they look good on paper!...

The 308 Winchester T/C barrel that damn near drove me crazy, in my opinion, has an oversized bore. I think that is why I could not get it to shoot cast. It would shoot jacketed, but still not with impressive accuracy. An inch and half (1.5”) at 100 yards was the norm…

Just by looking down the bore of the T/C barrel and the MGM barrel, I can see a difference in rifling. Not sure what the difference is, but something is noticeable…

In over a half century of shooting, I have never owned a custom anything. Hopefully this MGM will continue to shoot with acceptable accuracy—Sub-M.O.A. is all I expect at 100 yards…

Good-luck…BCB

Tatume
01-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Hi BCB,

Looks like you're off to a good start. Good luck with it.

Take care, Tom