PDA

View Full Version : Definition of irony

starmac
01-14-2017, 05:30 AM
I was on the phone with the logger I haul for this evening, and he mentioned it was going to probably be too cold to work monday. I told him they had changed the forecast and are now saying it isn't going to get cold. They were calling for 40 below and our cutoff is around 30 below.

He checked the forcast and called back saying I was right, 26 below is now the low in the forecast for monday, so we would plan on working.

When I hung up, my wife is I saw the irony in what I had told him, I ask what she was talking about and she mentioned that 10 years ago, I would not be telling anybody that it wasn't going to get cold when it was only going to be 26 below. lol

We had a good laugh out of it.

rl69
01-14-2017, 11:14 AM
I don't know about irony but it's a great lesson in perspective

Blackwater
01-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Amen to all! What we face is never quite as dire as we imagine it. We always measure everything, it seems, by the most desirable yardstick of all - something like life on a tropical isle during the spring time - balmy, just enough breeze to keep us from sweating, and all the warmth and joy of a seaside cottage. But life's never been like that. God gives us seasons for a reason. Without them, life on earth couldn't exist. So we take the heat of summer and cold of the winter WITH all the other, milder times. As a kid, I used to go out in the freezing wet with leaky leather boots and a couple of pairs of cotton socks. Not a highly recommended thing to do, but I was young and dumb and full of enthusiasm. Could track quail and rabbits and whatever else was around by the tracks in the rare snows we got. My feet would freeze, and be so numb I couldn't feel them when I'd get in, but boy! Did I ever have a wonderful time out there in it all!

So RL's right. It's all about attitude, and I know good and well Starmac has that down pat, or he would have left AK a LONG time ago! Good, tough minded men are getting harder and harder to find these days. Most wilt like flowers when they don't get their "ideal" situations. Not much like our ancestors who built it all FOR us! We've become so very willful, and inurred by all that surrounds us, we often don't see the ironies that surround us daily. They're hidden by our own perspectives, that's largely been shaped by our increasingly high expectations. It's good to be hot and cold sometimes. Reminds us of who we really are, and what we really face in this world, even today, with all our "wonders" that so consistently protect us ..... so far.

You folks up in AK have a tremendous respect from me, just for being the type of folks who CAN and WILL weather the weather up there. I've only been through Anchorage, and the smell of the air there is something I'll NEVER forget! If I were younger and tougher, I'd love to live up thee, but I have too many ties locking me down here. Y'all carry on. It matters.

starmac
01-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Most people does not realise how cold it isn't up here, it is different and we have clothes and ways to work with it not readily available to most in the lower 48.

In the log woods most (not all) do not work colder than 30 below, not because it is hard on us, but hard on the equipment.

When my son was still in high school and before my family moved up here, I flew back to New Mexico in january to watch my sons basketball tournement, 10 or 12 of us were standing outside shivering haveing a smoke break. An old rancher friend mentioned he didn't know how we could stand it in Alaska. I told him that I could swear to him that we never got that cold up there. Just the right gear and changeing how some things are done, all pretty simple.

Blackwater
01-14-2017, 05:11 PM
"Adapt and overcome." Sounds like you'd all be really good Marines! :-D

castalott
01-14-2017, 05:16 PM
When you work on an oilfield 'spudder' , you get the fluid out of the well on you. The fluid feels cool in the hot summer and warm in the cold winter.... The very definition of irony.

You are still oily in any season....

Dale

starmac
01-14-2017, 05:52 PM
BW, in this day in time, I don't consider a guy haveing to be really tough to live and work in Alaska in most jobs.

I do think they had to be when this country was young and being settled, even years after.
The book Alaska Wolfman is about a guy that got off a boat in 1920 iirc, and walked 375 miles to Fairbanks, then halfway back to where he thought he liked the country better in the dead of winter.
To my way of thinking, with the clothes, boots and gear available back then, you had to be one tough cookie to just survive period. later own the govt, contracted this guy to follow and document the caribou migration for a full year, the man traveled light, not even carrying a bedroll.

It is a good read and sure gives one a perspective of just how hardy men used to be.

bearcove
01-14-2017, 10:58 PM
When it was 70 in the summer I was burning up. Once it froze up it was jacket weather. Winter we went to missouri it was 40's snowing wet slushy mess. Real cold! Hardly wait to get back to a dry 20.

MaryB
01-14-2017, 11:21 PM
You learn to dress for the conditions. I have pheasant hunted at -20 in IA in late Dec. and we were fine. When I was younger we used to walk up to the bar during snowstorms and have a snow party, half the town would walk up there because you weren't going anywhere else. As I get older(and seem to be gathering a lot of titanium in my body) cold is no longer as much fun!

samari46
01-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Our company didn't have a cold weather policy and as such at 5 below standing on the deck of a fuel oil tanker or barge your feet were great standing on the hot deck. The rest of you not so much. Last few years couldn't wear steel toed boots. So dug out an old and well broken pair of Herman's survivors and although got taken to task for wearing them a few times continued to wear them till I retired. Every start of the winter season since I was the guy in charge of uniforms every one got a good well insulated coat. I had a few pairs of heavy insulated coveralls but while they did the trick were a pain to work in. Frank

snowwolfe
01-15-2017, 12:41 AM
Most people does not realise how cold it isn't up here, it is different and we have clothes and ways to work with it not readily available to most in the lower 48.

Just keep on telling yourself that:) I lived in Fairbanks from 77-81 and once seen -61 in North Pole. Interior Alaska is fricking cold in the winter, period. It was 68 here in Tennessee today and I enjoyed my daily walk in shorts and a tee shirt.

I do agree you can dress for it. Sure isnt much fun going to the range when its below zero and you cant take off your gloves for more than 30 seconds. But then when you are wearing all 8 layers of clothes people look like the Pillsbury dough boy. Oh heck, plenty of people look like that in the summer to!

starmac
01-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Yea, The coldest I have seen it here in fairbanks is 65 below, a little colder over at Tok and up north too.

A man is a fool to get cold in that kind of weather though, and fools don't last too long in it. lol
The coldest I have worked outside is 40 below, and just artic carharts will keep you cozy enough, so only 2 layers. the head and face gear is somewhat a pain though, especially if it is blowing and you have to wear goggles.

wlc
01-15-2017, 03:13 AM
The first year after we moved up here from GA I told my folks that I would rather have it zero or below here vs teens or low 20's there. Different kind of cold here. And yes, dressing for it makes all the difference. I can always put on enough to stay warm, but down south I couldn't take off enough to get cool during the summer. Nobody would've wanted me to anyway.

Blackwater
01-15-2017, 07:09 PM
I've only flown through Anchorage once, on my way overseas, and it was a short stayover. I'll NEVER forget the smell of the air up there, though! Most don't like the smell of a swamp, with all the rotting stuff in them. But the fragrance in Alaska was .... "wonderous" is the only adjective I can think of to describe it. And we have a lot of pulpwooders here, and most consider them "rednecks" and think they're of lower intelligence and knowledge. How FAR from the truth THAT is! Those guys can ususally fix just about anything with nearly nothing to do it with, if necessary! They use dangerous machines under sometimes dangerous circumstances, and LOVE IT! I have some pulpwooder friends, and they're uniformly fine people, unless you cross them or insult them beyond what their patience level is for that day ... and moment. Cross them seriously enough, and you'll have an entanglement to deal with that might take a while to get UN-tangled! They're good men, the kind that have always made this country run, even in spite of its idjit ways sometimes. You guys really have my respect. It's a great, interesting (never boring!) life you live. I always had something in me that would never allow me to do what you guys do, but I'm not dumb enough to not appreciate it, and be in some real awe of it. Keep doin' it. So many, many depend on guys like you! And most wouldn't have a clue about how much they owe you guys. But you don't do it for the recognition or appreciation, you do it for what it means to YOU! Happier and more satisfied men would be hard to find in this world. Or finer ones, IME.

Doc Highwall
01-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Years ago I went back to the hunting camp for lunch, and I was talking to one of the owners asking him why he had been out hunting yet, and he said that it was too cold and that was a temperature hunter. I asked him what that meant and he said "when the temperature outside matches your age you go out, and each year it will be one degree warmer" so I guess I will have to wait till it warms up to 65 degrees this year.

tygar
01-15-2017, 11:40 PM
I sure miss Wasilla. It wasn't bad most of the time. I don't remember getting below -40 (if that), usually -20 or so was about it.

Depending on the year, it could get up to around 40 sometimes.

I wouldn't go out hunting, snogoing, etc if it was going to get below "0", but preferred 10+, especially if I was going by myself. It can kill you quick. but then I'm a woosie.

You guys that are remote, get hit hard. I used to have to go in the bush during the school year to make "school" visits & it sucked!

Ft Yukon, Nome, Bethel, Kotzebue, Fairbanks, etc. were not my idea of a good time in winter. Not that great when it was "decent" weather either. But the hunting & fishing were great.

My buddy in Eagle River, does well work & he's working no matter what the temp. He makes money but I think he's nuts.

I agree about it feeling different in AK. I was stationed in DC in the 80s & when it got into the 20s you froze your asz off. In AK when it was in the 20s, we were in windbreakers & tennies, out on the field doing protection training (that field behind me), unless it was windy, then it could be uncomfortable. We used to shoot at the Birchwood range all the time when it was in the teens & never gave it a thought, plus had trap & skeet winter leagues.

Yep, it was great, but then again, the other day it was 70+ here & I dropped the top on my Vette.

The flip side is, today it was in the low 40s & I was getting a couple rifles on the paper & cut it short when a little wind came up & I got a little cold - like I said, woosie.

The guys that live in the bush year around are really something.

MaryB
01-15-2017, 11:50 PM
People don't realize that Northern MN and AK have very similar temps. -40 is common up north, down where I am we have hit -30 this winter. Life goes on! Record low in Northern MN is -62... once it drops below -20 it doesn't seem to matter, it is just COLD!

I had to repair my corn vacuum system(pulls corn from the outside bin into my inside tank for the corn/pellet stove) the other day when it was zero degrees. The pipe coming in is PVC with taped joints because it WILL jam sooner or later. Of course it would be the very last joint I took apart that had the problem. Retape everything bare handed because you can't handle the self fusing tape with gloves on... came in and 2 fingertips were going white with frostbite. Think the windchill that day was pushing minus 20 too.

Blackwater
01-16-2017, 12:43 PM
One of the things I most admire about folks who have to fight those weather conditions, is how they plan ahead for possible eventualities. Folks in milder climes are virtually totally dependent on our supply chains, and if hard times hit, they don't have anything to sustain them through it, and generally, haven't learned to cope. These are the people that die when a blizzard hits, or hurricane, etc. And much of it is unnecessary, and avoidable. When you know ahead of time that you will surely be facing harsh weather, like Starmac says, you learn to get the right clothing and what all it takes (often a particular body of knowledge) to survive and even prosper in it all.

THAT is the kind of ethic that built this nation into the greatest and most (once) powerful nation ever to grace the face of the earth. What you folks do matters, and it matters more than you realize. It keeps the traditional American ethic alive and well, even when it's so rare elsewhere. And getting rarer. Kudos to all of you, wherever you are.

starmac
01-16-2017, 11:57 PM
LOL The grocery stores here are just like the rest of the country and run on a three day shelf life.
A few years ago a bridge on the Alcan washed out, remember only one road comes to Alaska, sooo no grocery trucks could get here, three days and the stores were barren. lol

w5pv
01-17-2017, 01:27 PM
One thing I never got use to was the hair in my beak freezing,I kept it raw by rubbing it when the hair froze.lol,no more days like that.I don't think it will get that cold here even though the record was 0 degrees around the turn of the century(1900).The coldest I have seen it here in my life was 7 to 9 degrees.

starmac
01-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Well I lived in Orange for a couple of years, while I really enjoyed some things there (fishing and squirrel hunting), I would take the weather here anyday over it. 30 degrees there feels colder than 0 here anyday.

swheeler
01-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Definition of irony
That's an easy one, made of iron![smilie=1:

AlaskaScott
01-17-2017, 03:51 PM
I was in Fairbanks last week cleaning carpets. That gets interesting with three water lines running to the van outside in -20 and trying to keep them from freezing.

wlc
01-18-2017, 12:35 AM
I was in Fairbanks last week cleaning carpets. That gets interesting with three water lines running to the van outside in -20 and trying to keep them from freezing.

I bet. You may run into that problem where your at the next couple of days. Already at -15 here at the house as I write this. Supposed to be between -20 and -30 tonight. Brrr.

Saw on the news this evening that McGrath was -51 this morning. There was 100* difference in the warmest and coldest temps in the state today.

zardoz
01-18-2017, 01:00 PM
On the other side of the spectrum, I remember one summer working in a refinery. One engine room where the big motors and compressors were, was usually around 130 degrees or so in July. I worked in there for several hours (granted I was only 18 or 19 at the time). At lunch break, we came out of there into 100 degree heat. I said, "Ahh, cool air!"

Blackwater
01-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Zardoz, a perfect example of what the word "perspective" means! :mrgreen: What one is acclimated to determines what's REALLY "hot" and "cold." Personally, I have no aspirations of getting acclimated to anything but my good ol' heat and air .... except in summer at the river. I have those cooling towels and plenty of ice if I need it. And I DO use it, too! Neither not nor cold suits me quite like it once could!

paul h
01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
On the other side of the spectrum, I remember one summer working in a refinery. One engine room where the big motors and compressors were, was usually around 130 degrees or so in July. I worked in there for several hours (granted I was only 18 or 19 at the time). At lunch break, we came out of there into 100 degree heat. I said, "Ahh, cool air!"

I've had the same experience on the slope with buildings that have 35,000 hp gas turbines compressing natural gas to 2000 psi. You get in the upper elevation of the building, about 60' up and the temp is 120-130F. The big difference was you'd step outside and it was -20.

starmac
01-18-2017, 06:52 PM
BW I know you won't belive it, but like I said before the cold here is different by quite a bit. In other words you would be comfortable here a lot colder than you would in georgia as far as degrees go.

A kid, well young man that just came up from Florida and arrived day before yesterday with my son, remarked yesterday felt cold, while the day before wasn't bad at all. Well yesterday it got down to 30 below, while the day before, his first full day here it was only 10 below. lol

This morning was 48 below, pretty sure he thinks today is getting pretty cool. lol

MaryB
01-18-2017, 11:57 PM
38 today, no wind... I had to clear another clog in my corn vac system(I heat with a pellet/corn stove) and with no coat it felt pretty decent in the sun.

Blackwater
01-19-2017, 04:16 PM
I understand Starmac. Have experienced it a little. Here in the "swamps," the air's always heavy with humidity, which makes the summers hotter and the winters colder. Talked with a soldier once from MN who was stationed at a nearby base. He said his parents came down from MN and didn't bring their heavy jackets. Naturally, Murphy's Law caused a sudden and VERY hard cold snap. He said they froze the whole time they were here! And I think it only got down into the teens, IIRC. But all that cold water vapor acts like a heat sink, and just draws heat from any and everywhere it can, including human bodies. And it's GOOD at it, too! Have been in freezing weather where it's dry, and it was almost pleasant with only a moderate wt. short sleved shirt! What a difference humidity can make!

But get down to zero and below, and I've become a real wuss these days. My aspirations of seeing Alaska again are pretty well diminished now. But I'll never forget the smell of that awesome air y'all breathe! "Pristine wilderness" will NEVER truly have meaning for people unless and until they see at least a taste of Alaska! I was awed by it.

starmac
01-19-2017, 05:05 PM
BW, do not give up on at least visiting.
I had always wanted to live up here, but kept putting it off (life and kids got in the way) well roll on a few years and I brought a load up in the spring, stayed 30 days and basically checked out a good part of the road system.
By this stage in life I was haveing trouble wit authritus in cold weather and getting to hate it, so had pretty much given up any thought of ever living up here, but since I really liked trucking on the Alcan, I started getting every load up I could, finally mentioned to my wife that I had not noticed authritus bothering me, but really had not paid any attention. The next trip it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 below and I stayed a few days, NO AUTHRITUS, so here I am. lol

Now the kids always knew I wanted to live up here, but stayed till they were grown, fast forward a few years and all of my kids wound up here and told me they wished we would have moved up when they were younguns. lol

tygar
01-19-2017, 06:54 PM
BW I know you won't belive it, but like I said before the cold here is different by quite a bit. In other words you would be comfortable here a lot colder than you would in georgia as far as degrees go.

A kid, well young man that just came up from Florida and arrived day before yesterday with my son, remarked yesterday felt cold, while the day before wasn't bad at all. Well yesterday it got down to 30 below, while the day before, his first full day here it was only 10 below. lol

This morning was 48 below, pretty sure he thinks today is getting pretty cool. lol

I don't care about the difference in how it feels, when your nose hair freezes & it hurts to take a breath it's too dam cold!

Son in Anch emaild & said it was -59 up your way & he was worried he would have to go up there for his work.

Was thinking about going up for Iditarod, but AK in Feb, ehhhh, nope!

Wait until Jun/Jul for kings.

starmac
01-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Nah, it didn't get cold here, now over in North Pole it was 61 below this morning, dat be cold. lol

We were a mere 49 below, tell your son to come on up. lol
When it is this cold, not a lot gets done outside, most of us stay inside as much as we can. lol
Heck my pickup tried to object this morning. lol

Blackwater
01-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Points well taken, Starmac. A number of friends have taken cruises up there, and a friend and his then girlfriend flew up and rented a car and struck out to see the country. I've had nothing but wide eyed glowing reports from all of them. Sure makes it hard on a decrepit old man to resist a trip! But I've got too much holding me down her right now and for the forseeable future. If I got there, you'd be one of the folks I'd really like to look up. I was just wowed by what I saw of it in Anchorage, for the brief time I was there. Spent it all up on the roof, just looking around, smelling that air, and just drinking up the scenery. We flew pretty low over the land for a good ways on approach, and all I could think in my window seat looking down at it all was, "Wow! I could live in that!!!" And I think I could have back then, and loved it tremendously. I've become a homebody these days, and pretty much enjoy it, and have given up my once long-term wanderlust. Alaska is very hard NOT to fall in love with! I envy you guys!

tygar
01-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Nah, it didn't get cold here, now over in North Pole it was 61 below this morning, dat be cold. lol

We were a mere 49 below, tell your son to come on up. lol
When it is this cold, not a lot gets done outside, most of us stay inside as much as we can. lol
Heck my pickup tried to object this morning. lol

Ya, NP area was were he was talking about. I sure didn't like going anywhere when it was that cold. Had to do FB, NP, & north etc. in winter, just hated it.

But...Bethel, -20+ & that winding blowing the snow sideways, was about the worst. That really sucked.

I only had a 2 car garage in Wasilla & the wifes Alaska Cadillac (Subaru) & my 57 Tbird took that up, so 2 trucks & Blazer were outside. The gas vehicles were usually OK but that dam diesel truck had to be plugged in whenever it got in the teens.

Did you tell these guys about having to keep your vehicles running while you went in the store or where ever?

A lot of the guys who just can't wait to "move" to AK sure get a rude awakening & a lot change there minds, after their first "hard" winter.

I remember back in the early 90s when we had the whole month of Nov + a couple days, & it was from 0 to -25 & it about caused people to go nuts. And that's nothing compared to what you guys & the rest of the north put up with!

Still, it's the best place I've ever lived.

tygar
01-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Wife just said it's -39 in Wasilla. Ain't "missin" that!

U guys must be really getting hammered.

starmac
01-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Crazy weather, we are back up to 10 below this morning, but it is suppose to cool off again.

shooterg
01-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Guess the "global warming" ain't got there yet...

paul h
01-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Points well taken, Starmac. A number of friends have taken cruises up there, and a friend and his then girlfriend flew up and rented a car and struck out to see the country. I've had nothing but wide eyed glowing reports from all of them. Sure makes it hard on a decrepit old man to resist a trip! But I've got too much holding me down her right now and for the forseeable future. If I got there, you'd be one of the folks I'd really like to look up. I was just wowed by what I saw of it in Anchorage, for the brief time I was there. Spent it all up on the roof, just looking around, smelling that air, and just drinking up the scenery. We flew pretty low over the land for a good ways on approach, and all I could think in my window seat looking down at it all was, "Wow! I could live in that!!!" And I think I could have back then, and loved it tremendously. I've become a homebody these days, and pretty much enjoy it, and have given up my once long-term wanderlust. Alaska is very hard NOT to fall in love with! I envy you guys!

Sounds like the description of my first time visiting Alaska, on my honeymoon. Completely fell in love with it and we moved up 3 years later.

I can be content being a homebody in Anchorage just sitting back enjoying the views from the deck.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/4601099402_54BD52D115217C7BF96A5DF0B8E7BBEE.jpg

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/7161067802_B9FC58FD4A4234949DD62EDEA7F6F159.jpg

shoot-n-lead
01-20-2017, 03:00 PM
The book Alaska Wolfman is about a guy that got off a boat in 1920 iirc, and walked 375 miles to Fairbanks, then halfway back to where he thought he liked the country better in the dead of winter.
To my way of thinking, with the clothes, boots and gear available back then, you had to be one tough cookie to just survive period. later own the govt, contracted this guy to follow and document the caribou migration for a full year, the man traveled light, not even carrying a bedroll.

starmac...I agree with your thoughts on this.

And, I think everyone should read the book, " Alaska's Wolfman"...to give them a better understanding of the type folks it took to settle Alaska...it really made me think a little differently about it.

Blackwater
01-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Paul, I understand better than I probably ought to. I'm the same way, and nowadays, can just sit outside and watch my little dog chase squirrels, and romp and play and run (boy! can she RUN!) and just enjoy it SO much now. It's a shame folks don't even appreciate, or even notice usually, a beautiful sunset or sunrise, or so much more they have all around them. It's a beautiful world we live in, and so many, many now are so caught up in running around and chasing their own tails, that they totally miss some of life's simplest and most wonderful pleasures. A friend of mine commented not long ago that he couldn't believe folks don't ever comment on a really beautiful sunset or sunrise, and all I could do was smile. We're very much "birds of a feather" in that. But I've always been awed by "nature" or as I usually refer to it, "the outdoors." Most folks have only contempt for a good swamp. If they only knew the mysteries and beauty in them! Beauty is largely where you find it, but Alaska's is .... well, how could it NOT be special, as pristine as it's managed to stay, even today? I'll always be thankful for that brief time I had in Anchorage. What I saw flying over and on our approach just kept me enrapt. And the smell of that crisp air was .... magical. Literally magical. Y'all enjoy it. Many here are envious.

paul h
01-20-2017, 05:23 PM
I don't mean to make others envious, I do my best to be thankful every day for blessing to be able to live in the greatland of Alaska, hard to believe I've been here almost 20 years.

I think my dad instilled in me a love for if not truly wild, at least remote places where you can appreciate nature. And, while Alaska is a stunningly beautiful place, there is stunning beauty across this great land. While I'm glad to have left California, there is no doubt that there is great beauty there as well as every state in this country.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/3311011502_0851ABB733A0EAEDB596A827F83A71B0.jpg

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/2991075402_608769EE79F148D84508F326C91A410B.jpg

wlc
01-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Snagged this off my wife's Facebook feed. Picture is from Delta Junction about two days ago.

Paul, you are right. Lots of beauty in this ole world. I've always been amazed at God's creation wherever I've been. I will have to admit though that He gave Alaska a double dose of beauty. It is undoubtedly the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

T Herder
01-21-2017, 01:42 PM
This thread brings back so many memories of growing up in Fairbanks. I miss Alaska dearly. The Delta Junction pic brought back our next door neighbors perspective of the cold in winter. You could not argue with her about it, it didn't matter to her, the temps NEVER got colder than -39F. Trying to explain to her that the mercury in her thermometer freezes at -39F was a great lesson in futility.
Best regards,
Butch

.429&H110
01-21-2017, 02:45 PM
I am too old for cold. Even with mittens my thumbs locked up.
Pain was so bad, I moved to Arizona.
I had a Fluke recording thermometer, hung the k-probe out the window
and drove from North Pole to Fairbanks every morning, recording the temp
every ten seconds, plug into a computer and graph it.
Wind chill does not affect a k-probe, and past -40, the Toyota didn't
make enough heat to bother, but at red lights, the exhaust from the Fords did.
From -42 at my house I would drive through pockets of -60 warming up all the way to work at -30 or so. North Pole 99705 is cold because the wind stops and the sun never shines, so any heat fritters away. If the wind blew at -40 a person would rapidly die. Power steering pumps take it hard. Fan belts, tires, door seals, batteries freeze. Steel can freeze. Snow squeals. H110 with a magnum primer works fine (makes lots of soot, and condensate freezes but I love my Ruger), gave up winter shooting with no thumbs. I like Arizona much better....

MaryB
01-21-2017, 11:49 PM
-40 steel becomes brittle and loses a lot of its strength... easy to break things like leaf springs etc.