PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 Swiss Brass

Wayne Smith
11-04-2005, 09:18 AM
I just got an e-mail from Buffalo Arms that they have shipped my Hornaday 7.5x55 brass. Now I gotta buy more boxes.

Buckshot
11-06-2005, 08:27 AM
..............Vicious circle. Ain't it? :D

...............Buckshot

BorderBrewer
11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Wayne,
Graf's has 7.5 Swiss Brass at $28.99 per 100. They recently got some in, but hurry, it goes fast.

Borderbrewer

Oldfeller
11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Grafs is also peddling 6.5x55 brass for $13 per hundred. Feed yer bitch ...

And for those who like to scrounge a bit and also like to shoot 8x57, brass for that caliber ain't cheap any more and it isn't always available when you want it. They want to sell recently in lots of 50 for $18 some places ....
ouch.

(kinda makes you sick, don't it?)

So, when Grafs is selling 7x57 for $13 per hundred, you could possibly consider passing it through your 8x57 die to resize the neck upwards a bit and then fire forming the shoulder forward off a great big oversized 8mm bullet that is loaded forward until it seats hard in your throat, binding the entire loaded round up tightly in the chamber.

Or, if you are chicken hearted, some 10 grains of unique under a case load of cream of wheat held in place by the extractor hook will do the same job without requiring you to even resize the neck first. (waste of your time and some puffy wheat stuff to my way of thinking)

In any case, the cost of the brass beats $18 for 50 all hollow.

Loading the big slug forward to ground out in the throat makes up a perfectly useable low velocity plinker round (still fully cast bullet accurate). Do remember to anneal your new neck diameter after you get to it, it will have some stress that needs to be relieved no matter how you got it there.

And for them that does not believe in mismarked brass, a scratch awl mark can make that 7 into an 8 if you just GOT to have your cases correctly identified.

Oldfeller