PDA

View Full Version : Getting my game plan together

PtMD989
01-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I bought some lead pipe at the scrapyard. I plan to open the ends of it for air flow cause they're pinched off. I plan to use sawdust then wax during fluxing when I cast some ingots. The wax I have is used wax from those smelly wax melter things. Has anyone used that wax before with good results?
When I get ready to cast boolits will I need to flux the lead pipe ingots again?
I plan to cast for ML using a Lee REAL .50 cal 320 2 cavity mould.
So guys am I headed in the right direction?
I have yet to cast a thing besides a shadow and a fishing lure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredj338
01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
I just use sawdust anymore, seems to work the best with the least amount of smoke too.

TexasGrunt
01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
I do wax then sawdust. Otherwise the sawdust gets soaked in wax and smokes forever.

PtMD989
01-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Do I need to flux when I get ready to do boolits if I already fluxed when making ingots?

TexasGrunt
01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Maybe.

Dale53
01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=PtMD989;3908504]Do I need to flux when I get ready to do boolits if I already fluxed when making ingots?

I do. I only use clean alloy in my RCBS bottom pour casting pot. After the ingots are melted, I use a pinch of Carnauba flakes, stir and scrape the sides of the pot, then carefully skim with an old tablespoon. I can then cast 20 lbs. with no further treatment.

FWIW
Dale53

PtMD989
01-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the insight. Any thing special that I should look for when melting lead pipe?

runfiverun
01-12-2017, 07:34 PM
there will be some calcium and gunk released from the pipe.
not a big deal just skim it off.

the big thing will be water in the pipes.
even if it sits and dries you can still have some trapped in places.
heat the pipe before melting or start the big pot from cold with the pipe crammed in the pot.

when casting you'll have some oxides form on the top of the pot you can either leave them there [if bottom pouring] or return them to the alloy [wax on fire is great for this part] or scrape them off and save them for later [if using a ladle]
you can return the oxides to your next batch of alloy the next time you clean more lead if you keep it.

PtMD989
01-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Runfiverun thanks for the knowledge. I'm going to open up the ends of the pipe just to be safe with any trapped moisture. Don't need any surprises. Maybe I should cut the pipe into smaller pieces so they can fit into my pot.

runfiverun
01-12-2017, 10:56 PM
smash e'm flat.
then more will fit.
pile them up over the top a bit and turn on the heat.
a torch on the top will help melt them down quicker and you can put more on top.