PDA

View Full Version : and i got ANOTHER ONE

49FMarlin
01-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Went to cabala's this morning to return my Remington power flask, as the finger trigger broke, on the inside and would drain a charge,
tried to fix it but no-go,
so i got the replacement one and asked the guy behind the counter to look at the lonely only left 60 among 5- 58's and 4 walkers,

dang if it didn't whisper to me, telling me it needs a home, needs to be fired and fondled,

my BP collection is growing,

also got me a 454 lee mold, ill be casting tomorrow as i shot all my balls today, 12 rounds with 24/FFFG swiss/cabbalas lubed wad and ball
I like the 1860 more than i do my Remington 1858 it just points and feels better,

got it tore apart and doing the polishing of the innards, re coating the grip with true-oil,,dang they use some nasty RED dye on a nice piece of walnut

heres a before shot pic for you

going after a 1848 Baby next and work my way up the police/pocket models

rfd
01-12-2017, 06:29 PM
geez, does the fun ever end???

NAH! :mrgreen:

congrats on another fine addition to your, er, growing collection!? 8-)

Lethemgo
01-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Its an addiction....I was in my safe the other day and decided I better not count. I like the guys who say...you could have bought a real gun....I have a real gun

Fly
01-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Those revolvers are down right addictive. It will not be your last.

Fly

49FMarlin
01-13-2017, 08:56 AM
LMAO Ive got a few "REAL" guns, and these old "toy" guns can outshoot them and feel better in the hand,
its sweet when you close yr eyes and point it at what yr mind wants to shoot, open yr eyes and YOUR THERE

Its an addiction....I was in my safe the other day and decided I better not count. I like the guys who say...you could have bought a real gun....I have a real gun

Omnivore
01-13-2017, 06:01 PM
I do like that 1860 Colt, and I agree; it's probably the best handling of the percussion guns.

I hope you got the Lee 45-200-1R, because if it's really a .454" mold of some kind then it's going to be a pain to load unless you size it down. For Pietta factory chambers I even size down the Lee .450". It drops at a bit over .450" and it's plenty useable at that size, but I take it down to .449". At the smaller size they load nice without shaving, and they stay put in the chambers under full loads. In an Uberti the as-cast .450" is about right. The only case in which you'd want a .454" mold is if you have a Ruger Old Army, or if you've reamed out your Italian chambers to 29/64ths (.453" and change) for the proper fit with the barrel grooves on a Pietta.

Multigunner
01-13-2017, 08:16 PM
A good way to carry extra pre measured charges.

Sometimes at Flea Markets you'll see people selling bags of small translucent plastic vials with stoppers of the same material.
These are leftovers from the dosages used in certain types of breathing machines.

I have a few of these, not many. My brother used one of those machines for a year or so.
I use them to hold small screws and airgun pellets and small hex wrenches, anything small that might be lost if not kept separate.
I gave most of those I had to a friend who used them to carry pre measured charges for his muzzle loaders.

Near as I can mike these the neck has an inside diameter of .56". Length is a hair under 2". The cap itself is hollow with an inside diameter of 1/2"

bedbugbilly
01-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Congrats on your new addition!

As far as the "nasty red dye" on the grips - it's there because that is what Colt used on the originals.

Have fun!