PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mold required. From who?

UKShootist
01-12-2017, 10:38 AM
I have a couple of Marlin 45/70s (Oh, how I love saying that :-D), one Microgroove and one Ballard rifled. Having slugged the bore on each I am now looking to acquire a 405 grain flat nosed mold with a .462 diameter. Ideally an aluminium mold. Any opinions on the best supplier? One who will send to the UK.

TIA.

MT Chambers
01-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Check out the Accurate website, great maker of excellent molds, not 100% sure about shipping to England.

dh2
01-13-2017, 02:52 AM
Accurate would be my first choice and then I would check out NOE , I have not got a mold that I was not happy with from either, I don't know that shipping out of the US either
http://accuratemolds.com/index.php

17nut
01-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Check out the Accurate website, great maker of excellent molds, not 100% sure about shipping to England.

Tom will ship to England no worries, and he does one of custom moulds for no extra charge.
So pop him a mail stating what you want and he does it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Accurate Molds = good molds!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

John Boy
01-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Shootist - The is the mold that you want to order from Accurate mold(45-406E) ... http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-405E-D.png
Tell Tom at Accurate that you want the base to be 0.462 and the alloy to be used. The mold in the picture is diagrammed to use clip on wheel weights
This Accurate mold is cloned as an exact copy of the U. S. Model 1873 Rifle & Carbine bullet, as made by Frankfort Arsenal for the trapdoor Springfield rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
John Boy,

Do you mean it can be made to use clip on gas checks?

The drawing you link does not have a gas check groove.

Just wondering?

Personally, if I am using the bullet for hunting, I'd like a larger meplat.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bstone5
01-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I have had several molds made by Tom at Accurate Molds for my Master Caster. The molds are made from steel and cast very good bullets. The cost is the same as any molds he makes from the catalog. Very good guality in the machining of the molds.

jmort
01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
If you are going to utilize the Magic Meplat for the business end, as opposed to a hollow point or pointy bullet, there is no reason not to use Accurate. Tom is a colossal stud. I love the Magic Meplat

jdfoxinc
01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
No John ment the alloy for that mold should be American clip on wheel weights. The moldbmaker can adjust the dimensions for the alloy you wnt to use. Different alloy different shrinkage ratio.