PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-200-RF in Uberti Henry

avogunner
01-12-2017, 07:45 AM
I recently cast my first bunch of this boolit out of my new 6 cavity mold. I love it! The boolits just fell out and all measured .4525-.453 (well a few larger when I didn't close the mold completely). Also, as others have said, it empties a pot quick! My question is about the single ittybitty lube groove. I'm sure it holds enough lube for short barrels of a .45 Colt SA or 1911 but is there enough for a long rifle? I'd like to try this boolit in the Henry but I worried it'll run out of lube before exiting the muzzle and lead the barrel (?). Is this a valid concern? My lube is normally Lars 50/50 for my .45's but I also have LLA, BAC, and Randy Rat TAC1 available. Maybe lube/size as normal and then tumble with LLA for additional assurance?
Thanks
Semper Fi.

Tatume
01-12-2017, 07:55 AM
That mold is one of my favorites too. I originally purchased it for a fixed-sight 45 Colt revolver that shot high. The light weight bullet shot lower, and I was able to use the gun without modifying the sights. I eventually let the gun go, but kept the mold. Now I use it for my Ruger Old Army.

I suggest you shoot a bunch of them in your Henry and see what happens. Barrel leading is usually caused by poor fit, not an inadequate quantity of lube. However, I do recommend LBT Blue Soft and a great all around lube.

avogunner
01-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Thanks Tatume. I size my .45 Colt boolits to .452 and my Henry has shot the Lyman 454190 and Lee 452-255-RF with no issues so I'm not worried about incorrect sizing. They do hold a bit more lube though so I thought that it may be a concern. Scrubbing a leaded bbl is a PIA!

Tatume
01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
I clean my guns with Eezox. When they do build up lead (and some do, especially as I experiment with different bullets a lot), it come right out. Usually a tightly fitted patch soaked with Eezox, followed by a dry patch, done twice, is all it takes. The lead comes out on the patches. I'll usually run another wet patch just to be sure, and I can feel the difference. When there is lead, it feels rough. Afterwards, it feels really smooth.

I believe (but can't prove) that repeated application of Eezox conditions the barrel and makes removing lead so easy.

Wayne Smith
01-12-2017, 10:04 AM
If you are shooting low smoke powder (no such thing as smokeless?) you should be OK. Check your muzzle for a lube star after shooting a few. If you don't see one you are running out of lube. Changing lube may provide one, it's worth a try. For shooting black powder I'm afraid you are right, the lube area is inadequate.

Walter Laich
01-12-2017, 11:48 AM
That's my go to mold for my Marlin 24" rifle. Never had a problem with it. Also get used in a couple of Uberti 1866s as I cast for some family/friends.

Been using it for about 5 years so I'd say I am pleased with it.

runfiverun
01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
you don't run out of lube.
your lube stops flowing properly.

it happens right after the pressure in the barrel drops below a certain point.
this lets everything kind of settle in, and is an important point in lube flow.
if you look in there and see a lube smear you will see antimonial streaking right afterwards.
you don't need more lube you need to adjust your lube when that happens.
look for it about 16-18" down the barrel, if it's there you need to modify your lube to stay flowing for a longer period.

I call it the relax point.