PDA

View Full Version : Mihec 45 acp hp/hollow point alloy

sutherpride59
01-12-2017, 01:40 AM
I've read quite a bit on hollow points and the alloys needed to get good expansion but I just wanted to get a good solid yes you are in the right place to start. I recently bought one of Mihec's 4 cavity 45 hollow point molds and from what I've read it sounds like the best place to start is with 50/50 + 2%

This is the mold I will be using:
http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php/e-shop/molds/hollow-points-molds/mp-452-225-hp-pb

I have already cast a few of these and with the round hollow point pin they weight 200grains and shot at the indoor range using melted lead scrap that were 12bhn.I plan on loading these 200 grainers over 4.2grains of clays and 5.6grains of W231 in the 45acp. Is this a good starting point for the chase of solid expansion with minimal weight loss? Also when I try out the penta hollow point pins because the pin is much shorter and won't produce nearly as deep of a cavity should I use an even softer alloy like 70% pure lead and 28% wheel weight with the 2%sn?

Im pretty sure I'm on the right track but I find that asking before I waste my time ends with me having less work to do and more fun to have. Also I titled this post so that others could find it easily when the search 45 hp alloy.

Thanks in advance

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2017, 06:23 AM
12bhn is probably a bit hard. What I mostly use for a hp alloy is 2 parts pure to 1 part ww. Usually tests out at about 8-9bhn. If I'm doing particle coating instead of conventional lubes I usually push it to 3 parts pure to 1 part ww.

OS OK
01-12-2017, 08:54 AM
A rough rule-O-thumb...1 BHN per every 100 FPS.
Those HP's with wide gaping holes can prolly get away with .20% harder...
My best guess is that at 800 FPS you could shoot 10 BHN because of the design.
Your Sn content (2% max./ my opinion) will keep their weight retaining ability...softer Pb will flow off the mushroom...almost hard enough Pb will break off.

sutherpride59
01-12-2017, 10:01 AM
A rough rule-O-thumb...1 BHN per every 100 FPS.
Those HP's with wide gaping holes can prolly get away with .20% harder...
My best guess is that at 800 FPS you could shoot 10 BHN because of the design.
Your Sn content (2% max./ my opinion) will keep their weight retaining ability...softer Pb will flow off the mushroom...almost hard enough Pb will break off.

Thats a good easy way to remember, 8-9bhn is what I figuered. I cast the 12bhn ones cuz I already had the alloy laying around and I just wanted to find an accurate powder charge.... and cuz I didn't want to wait to shoot these ��.

OS OK
01-12-2017, 10:15 AM
I've been trying to collect enough phone books to test them in (wet soaked phone books) but when I'm looking for them they hide, if I ain't looking there everywhere...like deer season!

Lately I was thinking of using shredded paper...tamping it down into a 5 gallon bucket and wetting it at the same time until it compacted nice and thoroughly. Use this for a test bed, it could be re-tamped and wetted after examining the cavity and depth and used again.
I have been shooting into a 4" PVC pipe 10 feet long filled with water but...the water is a little brutal on the HP's and doesn't give any penetration depth to compare anything to.

sutherpride59
01-12-2017, 12:13 PM
lol I feel your pain I've been on the look out for phone books for the last 2 months, I think they've gone the way of blockbuster and 10-10-2-20

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2017, 05:27 PM
or you could live somewhere like me where the phone books are only a 1/2" thick.

Loudy13
01-12-2017, 05:42 PM
I am running those bullets at about 9.2-9.5 Bhn and they are working well for me.

denul
01-12-2017, 10:18 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86605&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1403160721

I have a very nice load behind my wheel weight/ Tin alloy, BHN 11, 5.5grs. IMR PB, White label 50-50 lube, 205 gr., with the large hollowpoint, about 830 FPS, H&K tactical. These were fired into wet wood chips. They penetrated from 18 to 20 inches. They are just starting to open up nicely.

I do not know how to quickly link to previous posts so anyone interested in a thread about this bullet that was active in 2013 could look it up under my posts; the above picture and text are copied from November 5, 2013.

I have since introduced some very particular 45 shooters to this mold, and every one of them considers it to be the best.

I just discovered that Mihec has several left and I just ordered another one.

sutherpride59
01-13-2017, 02:56 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86605&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1403160721

I have a very nice load behind my wheel weight/ Tin alloy, BHN 11, 5.5grs. IMR PB, White label 50-50 lube, 205 gr., with the large hollowpoint, about 830 FPS, H&K tactical. These were fired into wet wood chips. They penetrated from 18 to 20 inches. They are just starting to open up nicely.

I do not know how to quickly link to previous posts so anyone interested in a thread about this bullet that was active in 2013 could look it up under my posts; the above picture and text are copied from November 5, 2013.

I have since introduced some very particular 45 shooters to this mold, and every one of them considers it to be the best.

I just discovered that Mihec has several left and I just ordered another one.

Well those opened up kind of funny lol. Kind of what I expected from such a big boolit moving so slow but from what I read about Keith's idea on the hollow point wasn't so much that it would muchroom but that it would core out a hole I. The meat like a wadcutter but take some of the meat with it. Apparently he cast them pretty hard.

fredj338
01-13-2017, 07:39 PM
IMO, best results are with alloys that have little to no antimony, makes the alloy brittle. I use lead & tin, 20-1 or 25-1, for handgun stuff. Obviously not for general plinking, tin is too pricey, but for hunting or an SD bullet.
FWIW, I am also a fan of wetpack using phone books. We used to have the really nice fat los angeles type, but the phone book is going the way of the lead ww. So a good sub is just plain old newspaper. put it in bundles, tie it loosely & soak well. then just stack the bundles.