PDA

View Full Version : The Feeling of Freedom

SciFiJim
01-10-2017, 11:13 PM
I moved from central California to San Antonio Texas last August. Today I went into a local gun store and purchased a stripped lower. I filled out the form 4473 and left with the lower in hand. NO WAITING PERIOD. The feeling of freedom was glorious!

samari46
01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
When I moved down here to Louisiana from NYC when they started doing the background checks out sheriff at the time refused to do them as he wasn't going to get any money for the checks. Got a Beretta 92FS with the 4473 and no background check. Course that has changed as they now do the checks. Frank

BNE
01-10-2017, 11:28 PM
I'm sad that you had to put up with that in Ca. I have bought several guns over the years while on lunch break... Like it should be. :)

Bzcraig
01-11-2017, 12:47 AM
Hey Jim, I'm an escapee from Clovis as of April last year! Congrats. Bought my first handgun in June and called several friends in CA to rub it in! Weren't you in Porterville?

SciFiJim
01-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Hey Jim, I'm an escapee from Clovis as of April last year! Congrats. Bought my first handgun in June and called several friends in CA to rub it in! Weren't you in Porterville?

Yep, I was in Porterville. Left some good friends behind, but glad to be out of there. Not just the political climate, but the worst air quality in the country.

redriverhunter
01-11-2017, 09:21 AM
My brother in law, is amazed that with a chl in Texas it is a cash and carry.

paul h
01-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Congratulations! I know the feeling well. It's been almost 20 years since I left California. I can carry concealed without a permit. I can open carry without a permit. I can walk into a gunstore and buy what I want and leave with the gun as soon as I pay for it. I can transport a gun in my vehicle wherever and however I want, even loaded. I can talk to co-workers about guns and hunting and not get the stink eye.

geezer56
01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
In NC, with a concealed carry permit, cash and carry for anything not requiring an ATF stamp.

mold maker
01-11-2017, 04:24 PM
NC is Gods gift gun owners.

Thumbcocker
01-11-2017, 08:56 PM
I thought this would be a thread abut not wearing skivvies.

SciFiJim
01-11-2017, 09:09 PM
I thought this would be a thread abut not wearing skivvies.

Nooo!:shock: I could have gotten away with that in CA without a problem. Sometimes trading some freedom for security (and comfort) is a good thing.

Boaz
01-11-2017, 09:22 PM
But be a Texan . My complaint is that many come for the freedom but repay with restriction . Always glad to welcome a new Texan .

SciFiJim
01-11-2017, 09:26 PM
But be a Texan . My complaint is that many come for the freedom but repay with restriction . Always glad to welcome a new Texan .

I'm not a new Texan. I am a native son returning home and glad to be back where freedom matters. Curiously, it was easier to get a concealed carry permit in the conservative CA county that I lived in than it is to get one here in San Antonio (fewer classroom hours and no range qualification).

Hickory
01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Remember when you could get a Remington 700 action from Brownell's?
Where I used to work, one of the guys there had a FFL and I asked if he would get me one. He said no problem, it would be in the following week.
The following week at work in the cafeteria at lunch time he pushes a lunch sack in front of me and a 4473. I filled it out, he went to the pay phone, made the call and transaction complete. I put it in my locker and took it home after work.
I actually thought I'd pick it up at his place after work, but that worked out with no fuss.

starmac
01-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Congratulations! I know the feeling well. It's been almost 20 years since I left California. I can carry concealed without a permit. I can open carry without a permit. I can walk into a gunstore and buy what I want and leave with the gun as soon as I pay for it. I can transport a gun in my vehicle wherever and however I want, even loaded. I can talk to co-workers about guns and hunting and not get the stink eye.

Not to mention I have met and bought guns from guys at convenience store parking lots, even the front gate to the base. lol

paul h
01-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Heck, I bought a gun from a buy in Bethel I've still yet to meet. He shipped it to me via Alaska Air.

9.3X62AL
01-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Da--is good to live in Free World.

starmac
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Heck, I bought a gun from a buy in Bethel I've still yet to meet. He shipped it to me via Alaska Air.

The little fact that one can carry their guns on the plane with them on the plane as long as it is an in state flight, would make some folks in some states head implode, or that you can buy from an individual anywhere in the state, and the US postal service will deliver it straight to you.lol

But if you think about it, the climate in Cali is worth it to have to buy your ammo through an ffl, NOT. lol

9.3X62AL
01-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Da, tovarich. Berlin Airlift, V.2.0.

Blackwater
01-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Jim, believe it or not, back in '71 when I mustered out of the Navy in San Diego, and went home, I carried a Rem. Nylon 66 back in my carry on luggage. Took the barrel out, and shipped it in baggage, but the stock wouldn't fit, and they let me fly in a 747 with the rest in a straw bag carrier with some of our other possessions. It was good to not have a whole lot to ship back home! One of the few assets of real "poverty." But we always stayed clean and neat, even so. Sometimes, I look wistfully back at "them ol' days." At least we had more real freedoms than we do today, and folks were a lot more rational.

Just thought it'd serve as a good contrast with what we have to put up with today. Most folks don't realize how many real restrictions we really DO have today. They never lived in any other way, and seem addicted to letting gov't rule us increasingly intrusively and unnecessarily. And also dysfunctionally, and to our detriment as well.

Glad you found your "freedom."

paul h
01-12-2017, 08:57 PM
The little fact that one can carry their guns on the plane with them on the plane as long as it is an in state flight, would make some folks in some states head implode, or that you can buy from an individual anywhere in the state, and the US postal service will deliver it straight to you.lol

But if you think about it, the climate in Cali is worth it to have to buy your ammo through an ffl, NOT. lol

When my dad was a kid in California he used to shoot jack rabbits from the bed of his uncles pickup as his uncle drove through his fields. They also could buy blasting powder and dynamite at the hardware store. That was pre WWII, California used to be a fairly conservative state until about eh 70's when it started going completely off the tracks.

Honestly I haven't missed California for a second as both of my folks have passed I really have no reason to go back at all. If I want a nice climate, I go to Maui.

jsizemore
01-15-2017, 10:54 AM
My last duty station was in Tacoma at a reserve base around the mid 70's. The machinist in my shop and I heard about some folks in southern Ca, NM, and Az shooting handguns out to 200 yards. He had a SBH in 44 mag and I had a Dan Wesson 357 I'd bought in Gig Harbor. There was a public bus we could catch outside the base gate that carried us to a 200 yard rifle range in North Seattle. We'd shoot and spot for each other and generally have a good time with the local folks. Never a peep while riding the bus.

I live in east Wake county NC now. I see a couple 3 open carry guns everyday. Fella at Lowe's had a SA Army with the muzzle end of the holster terminating just above his knee. That gun would have been tough to conceal regardless.

Smells like a little sulphur mixed in with that freedom!

Ole Joe Clarke
01-15-2017, 09:24 PM
On the other hand, my checking account would be in better shape if it was a little more difficult to buy firearms in my state. :-)

Have a blessed evening.

Leon