PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf barrel freebore

camperkilgore
01-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Ok, I think this is the right place for my question:

New member here, and still finding my way around the forum

My Lone Wolf conversion barrel (9mm) that I use in my Glock 33, gives me trouble when using certain 124gr truncated cone bullets and some 147gr bullets(set to the correct col and even shorter). Like a lot of people have experienced, they get stuck in the rifling. Dougguy is reaming the barrel freebore for me, and I just thought I would ask if anyone here has had any accuracy problems with a Lone Wolf barrel that has had the freebore increased by reaming.

I recently read somewhere that accuracy might be affected by having this done, but I don't know if that only applies to rifles or not. Seems like shorter barrels would be affected more.

I haven't gotten the barrel back yet, so I can't test it, but maybe someone here can put my mind at ease.
Thanks,
Tom

lefty o
01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
anything you do to a barrel can potentially affect its accuracy, however reaming the throat for a bit more freebore should have no effect.

camperkilgore
01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
anything you do to a barrel can potentially affect its accuracy, however reaming the throat for a bit more freebore should have no effect.
Thanks,
I've been really happy with the groups I was getting with it(considering my shakey 66 year old hands). Just worried that it might change with reaming.
Tom

DougGuy
01-10-2017, 04:39 PM
You should notice an improvement in groups overall.

DougGuy
01-10-2017, 04:42 PM
You should notice an improvement in groups overall. I don't think you will be disappointed.

camperkilgore
01-10-2017, 07:30 PM
You should notice an improvement in groups overall. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Thanks Doug,
Did you get the bushing yet?
Tom

jcren
01-10-2017, 07:34 PM
If it doesn't shoot better after Doug gets done, it would be the first I have heard of.

DougGuy
01-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks Doug,
Did you get the bushing yet?
Tom

It came today, I should finish it and get it in tomorrow's mail.. We didn't have mail for 4 days because of the icy roads.

camperkilgore
01-10-2017, 07:52 PM
If it doesn't shoot better after Doug gets done, it would be the first I have heard of.
Thanks,
I'm feelin pretty good about it. Can't wait to get it back and go to the range. Hopefully he got the bushing he had to order to do the job, and I'll get it back soon.
Tom

camperkilgore
01-10-2017, 07:58 PM
It came today, I should finish it and get it in tomorrow's mail.. We didn't have mail for 4 days because of the icy roads.
Great news Doug,
I figured mail would be slowed down by the snow up there. I've been way up north in the past(Wisconsin), so I know how it is. Was up there in the early 80's when they had the coldest winter in history. It was the first time I experienced cold weather that actually "hurt". Actual temps were around 25 below.....chill factor 50 below.
Tom

DougGuy
01-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Here ya go, a lil sneak preview of what's headed back to you in the mail..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/LW9mmThroatampCrown_zpsulgfeeoq.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/LW9mmThroatampCrown_zpsulgfeeoq.jpg.html)

Handloader109
01-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Dougguy's work helped my cheap lone wolf barrel for my G17. Bought one that was threaded to use my silencer on.
Was having a lot of issues with my PC coated bullets, no matter what I did. No issue with accuracy that I can tell and it solved my issues.
I really need to have him do my PPX barrel, it is just a bit too tight compared with my PPQ and the G17 now (along with the two 1911 RI that I use occasionally. They are mainly 22TCM)

I think you'll like the change

camperkilgore
01-13-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm looking forward to shooting the Glock with this barrel. Now maybe I'll be able to use those truncated cone 124gr coated bullets that I have. Many thanks to Doug and all who respond to this thread with reassurance that the barrel will be much better than before. I really enjoy when things work out right. Looks like I should get the barrel back on the 17th(teusday), so I'll take it to the range soon thereafter. I feel sure that it will be great.

I am very glad that I found this forum, and I plan to get into casting as soon as I can.
Tom

camperkilgore
01-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Got the barrel back from Doug on Saturday, way ahead of the scheduled day that the Post Office listed(wonders never cease).
All the reloads that I was having trouble with sticking in the rifling pass the kerplunk test with flying colors. I am very happy with the work that Doug did to ream the freebore and crowning the barrel. I had planned to go to the range today(Monday), but am feeling under the weather due to this nagging cold I have. I hate that, because the weather here in Tallahassee has been beautiful.
I'll follow up as soon as I get to the range.
Tom

camperkilgore
01-18-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm happy as a hog in a the mud right now. Felt good enough today to go to the range, and the LW barrel in the glock runs like a sewing machine......as Doug said it would.

I put all the reloads that I felt would be troublesome through the pistol, and not a single hiccup. About 200 rounds of various bullet shapes and weights, jacketed and coated. It's great because this pistol gives me a lot of options for shooting. It's a glock 33 and I can shoot 357 sig for defense or 9mm with the LW barrel for defense if I get to worrying about over penetration, and of course it's a lot cheaper to shoot at the range too.

I had been thinking of selling this barrel, but I'm gonna keep it now.

Thanks again to Doug for reworking this barrel for me.

Tom