PDA

View Full Version : Removal of powder coating

vrh
01-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a method of removing unwanted baked on powder coating? Want to remove the powder coating on Ogive portion of my cast bullets.

RP
01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Acetone will remove the coating but I think it will need some soak time and would wick up the bullet ruining it, Best is to not coat that section if spraying if tumble or shaking maybe a small painters brush to dust it off before baking. I am not a expert and make no claims to stating this is the only way to do this so this is my disclaimer.

MyFlatline
01-09-2017, 07:23 PM
What RP said about the acetone. I turn mine upside down and spray.

Alan Bycroft
01-09-2017, 10:49 PM
what room do you have their flatline?

Alan Bycroft
01-09-2017, 10:50 PM
sorry...round...not room!

MyFlatline
01-10-2017, 08:40 PM
That is a 35 Remington with no lube grooves, drops with my alloy at about 207. Had a buddy ( better shot than I) test these a bit ago. I was impressed. I was spotting and couldn't see where it was going.

Blanco
01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
just curious why no powder on the nose?

MyFlatline
01-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Was just messing around with the grandson one day, nothing special but he thought it was "cool"

sparky45
01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
It's not necessary on the nose, and it does look cool. Some folks have made trays to hold the cast upside down to PC and bake, they turn out looking fantastic.

Grmps
01-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Hate to say this but I would suggest re-smelting the bad bullets and starting over.
This time when you PC, you grab the powdered bullet to put on the bake pan. Bang the base several times (I use parchment paper)on a flat surface holding the bullet by the lube groove. [ I like the angled one in this Harbor Freight kit http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-fine-point-tweezer-set-93598.html] to knock off any excess PC.
another way is to dump the freshly powdered bullets into a plastic colander with holes large enough for the BB's to go through and shake / swirl / bump the bullets around until all the excess powder comes off, you'll be surprised how well the pc stays on the bullet and how little "damage to the coating occurs, if you se bare spots just sprinkle more powder on them and sift a little more. then you can tweeze them onto your bake tray / screen. I just dump the whole colander of bullets on my bake screen / or tray with silicone liner and shake a little to spread them out. It doesn't matter it they are touching, very few will stick and of the few that stick even less will leave marks on the bullets. Bake as usual . when they get cool enough to touch (they may stick to the bake screen, this is normal) dump them and separate them.

Dragonheart
01-13-2017, 11:04 AM
I personally have had little success removing PC with acetone. If I want a bare nose I spray the bullets that are turned upside down and set in predrilled holes is a baker's sheet pan.

The best reason for coating the nose is it adds hardness and lubrication when the nose comes into contact with a guide or feed ramp. It most definitely improves the function of autoloaders.

The reason I stand my bullets on silicon mats is I end up with a flat base on my bullets. A bullet is steered by the base and a flat base is going to be a more consistently accurate bullet. A non-concentric bullet at some point will wobble and change it's flight path. Since powder flows a bullet laying on it's side is going to end up with a non-flat base as well as a thicker coating where it contacts.

The dump method is faster.