PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Handgun

308Jeff
01-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Last night someone broke into my work truck (right in my driveway) and stole my XDm, along with a lot of tools.

It's a two-tone (Stainless/Black) 9mm, Serial Number MG902019 if y'all wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for it.

Really bummed as this was one my guns that I would have never sold.

I hate thieves.

Plate plinker
01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Tip it was probably Eric Holder himself.

Now really bummer.

lefty o
01-09-2017, 02:03 PM
sucks, but never leave anything you care about in a vehicle. too fast and easy to break in or just steal the whole dang thing.

Teddy (punchie)
01-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Yep I hate sticky finger idly. Food is one thing but money and or luxury items, price should be high.

Blackwater
01-09-2017, 02:38 PM
It's amazing how bold thieves have become these days! Right in our yards! And with homes built with better and better insulation, it's impossible to hear what's going on outside, just feet away from us while we watch TV or sleep or whatever. I'm glad I have a young pup that's a really good and very alert "watch dog." All I want is one that'll alert me, and I'll handle it from there. If you don't have one, you might want to consider getting one?

Thieves are the biggest legitimate "insulters" we have. They take the things YOU have worked so long and hard to get, and think they can get away with it.

Hope you reported it to the police as stolen, along with its SN#. There's at least a chance you might get it back with that info in their possession. But they HAVE to have that info.

308Jeff
01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
sucks, but never leave anything you care about in a vehicle. too fast and easy to break in or just steal the whole dang thing.

Lesson learned.

Hope you reported it to the police as stolen, along with its SN#. There's at least a chance you might get it back with that info in their possession. But they HAVE to have that info.

Yes, sir. Called them first thing.

Artful
01-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Did they get any prints? Did they say if there were similar operations in the same area?

I assume it went with loaded magazine(s) - holster or carry case?

What kind of tooling did they get - might be easier to track a specialty tool down.

Rufus Krile
01-09-2017, 05:20 PM
A few years ago I had an outboard motor stolen off my boat sitting in my driveway. Commented to the investigating officer that I couldn't believe someone would risk their lives for a worn out motor... He replied that they probably didn't realize their potential exposure here but, 3 nights prior, someone had stolen the battery out of his patrol unit parked in front of his house. That's what we're dealing with...

Springfield
01-09-2017, 05:31 PM
I have had guns stolen from my house, bicycles from in the yard, tools form in my garage, and an irreplaceable hunting knife my dad gave me from inside my vehicle. I swear, if I ever catch someone stealing my stuff they are going to catch it for all the ones that got away.

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Things like this Almost tempt me into the idea of leaving the guns loaded with ammo that has a complete case full of Titewad or some other really fast powder. Just a notion as it would be too dangerous for me and others and probably grounds for punishment if discovered as a boobie trap or something. I wouldn't shed a tear for the scumbag that steals it and it grenades in his hand.

Moleman-
01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Keep a good lookout on the pawn shops in your area for your tools. Not likely going to pawn the gun, but find the tools and figure out who had them.

Plate plinker
01-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Keep a good lookout on the pawn shops in your area for your tools. Not likely going to pawn the gun, but find the tools and figure out who had them.
TRUE and you might as well face facts that you need to do some leg work because the POLICE likely will not.

jsizemore
01-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Fella' set his spray painter up on the front porch of a house he was working on. Went to the back of the house to get ready to spray and when he started he got no paint out. Went to the front porch to check his set up and the pump was gone.

dubber123
01-09-2017, 07:28 PM
I worked in a gun shop in the early 90's, we took in a Colt 1911 on trade. Later ran the #'s, and it came back stolen in AZ in 1967. I know you would like yours back sooner than that, but it did happen :)

SciFiJim
01-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Is there a database of serial numbers of stolen firearms that we can check when purchasing or trading for a used gun?

MyFlatline
01-09-2017, 08:53 PM
They found mine that was stolen but I didn't get it back. Pawnshop was allowed to keep it. To me , that ain't right. Has also happened with stolen jewelry, this was Florida , Georgia. I feel the shop takes the risk, if I bought stolen goods , they would take it in a second.

Sorry for the mini rant.

turtlezx
01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
will your insurance cover it ??

homeowners or auto ??

above FLATLINE pawn shop can keep stolen items ?????? REALLY
IF THATS THE CASE WE SHOULD ALL BE ABLE TO BY STOLE GUNS AND KEEP THEM

Drm50
01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Things are so bad around here, they break into homes and tear out the copper water lines to
sell for junk. If they are polite crooks, they turn off the main, most don't.

sparky45
01-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Check here Jim:
http://www.hotgunz.com/

Is there a database of serial numbers of stolen firearms that we can check when purchasing or trading for a used gun?

osteodoc08
01-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Check here Jim:

I run any firearm on this site before making a purchase from a private party. If they won't let me, I'll just walk.

SciFiJim
01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Check here Jim:

Thanks, Bookmarked for future use.

308Jeff
01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Did they get any prints? Did they say if there were similar operations in the same area?

I assume it went with loaded magazine(s) - holster or carry case?

What kind of tooling did they get - might be easier to track a specialty tool down.

No fingerprints. They took my report over the phone.
Midway tactical case with 4 spare magazines. One in the gun, none in the chamber.

homeowners or auto ??

Homeowner's would, but I have a $750.00 deductible for personal property.

308Jeff
01-09-2017, 09:20 PM
The day wasn't a total bummer though. One of my roofers dropped off a bunch of lead pipejacks so I've been spending the last couple of hours in melting therapy. :-)

MyFlatline
01-09-2017, 09:21 PM

homeowners or auto ??

Sadly yes. Don't know who legislated that bill but am going ask a bunch of questions this cycle.

leeggen
01-09-2017, 09:22 PM
here in Tn. if a pawn shop takes the gun in as a fare purchase and you find it and you want it back you have to buy it back otherwise they can keep it. Nothing you can do about it except buy it back.
CD

308Jeff
01-09-2017, 09:26 PM
here in Tn. if a pawn shop takes the gun in as a fare purchase and you find it and you want it back you have to buy it back otherwise they can keep it. Nothing you can do about it except buy it back.
CD

In Tennessee, of all places. That's some crappy lawmaking right there.

garym1a2
01-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Florida has the same rule for stolen property.
Pawn shops have a good lobby.

CD

Jr.
01-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Had a truck stolen in Tempe in the middle of the afternoon. Only thing I've ever had stolen from me.

Sorry to hear about the xdm it sure is a feeling of being violated when you have something stolen. I hope you can get something back that was taken.

Petrol & Powder
01-09-2017, 09:54 PM
The good news is the owner knows the Make, Model and Serial number. Hopefully that information made it to the police.
Handguns are frequently recovered by law enforcement from crime scenes, arrests, search warrants, etc. Firearms are VERY identifiable, something that sets them apart from things like jewelry and tools. The weak link is the fact that the rightful owners rarely know details such as serial numbers. If you tell the police that someone stole your 12 gauge shotgun it is very unlikely that they will ever be able to connect it to you if they recover it. However, if you tell the police someone stole your blued Remington 870 with a 22" barrel that had the full choke installed, it had a "j" shaped scratch of the right side of the receiver just under the ejection port and the SERIAL # was XXXXXXXX
....they are HIGHLY likely to connect that gun to your loss if they later recover it.

In the OP's case, he knows the make, model and serial number of his stolen pistol. There's a good chance that the gun will be returned to him IF the police can recover it.

I always tell gun owners to keep a ledger containing the descriptions of their firearms and to keep that ledger in a safe place away from their firearms. (safe deposit box, off site office, trusted friend or relative's home). If possible, take three photographs of each gun. One depicting the overall gun, one depicting the make & model inscription and one close-up of the serial number. That's the best possible record of your gun. Place a digital copy of those photos in some safe storage away from the place of storage.

As for vehicles, I too hate thieves and never leave anything in a vehicle that I can't afford to lose.

I think the OP has a better than average chance of recovering his gun.

454 shooter
01-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Manager at the local Home Depot was grilling burgers for a customer appreciation event on the sidewalk in front of the store, stepped inside to get something else, came out and all was gone, burgers, grill and everything.

lightman
01-09-2017, 10:26 PM
I have had guns stolen from my house, bicycles from in the yard, tools form in my garage, and an irreplaceable hunting knife my dad gave me from inside my vehicle. I swear, if I ever catch someone stealing my stuff they are going to catch it for all the ones that got away.

I'm with you, Springfield. If I catch a thief he will pay the price for all of the thieves before and after him. I just hope that its not more than he can bare!

Artful
01-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Check here Jim:

Jeff, you need to enter the handgun serial number into this database ASAP

Yodogsandman
01-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Had it happen here last summer to my son's truck. Have decided that any thieves must be considered armed now and dealt with accordingly.

Murphy
01-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Lost a handgun to someone I trusted and knew where I kept my spare key to my truck hidden. He'd been clean & sober for 4 years and seemed to be 'okay'. He relapsed and of course a lot of alcoholic/drug addicts steal from family or friends first. Thinking family or friends won't file criminal charges. Not sure what he got out of the gun, but I do know he's regretted it 100's of times. Why? He lost one of his last best friends and would probably give 10 times what he got for it if it would turn back the hands of time and restore our friendship. He's clean & sober again, but never to be trusted by me.

That being said, Oklahoman's did one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in November. They voted to lower (depending on the amount) the penalty for what was felony drug charges (even meth is included). They can now get arrested as many times as they wish with smaller amounts and it's only a misdemeanor. If that was bad enough, they did something to worsen matters. In Oklahoma property theft up to $500 could be filed as a misdemeanor or felony, it depended on how the district attorney wanted to pursue the case. Well, guess what? The people of Oklahoma, and I sure as **** wasn't one of them at the same time passed a bill raising the $500 and over to be a felony, to a $1,000. Yes, you read it right. Give the druggies & alcoholics lesser penalties for multiple counts of repeat offenses for drugs, and raise the limit on how much they can steal before it's a felony.

Good luck on finding your XDM.

Murphy

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Now that's a steaming crock of **** if I've ever seen one! A pawn shop has the right to keep YOUR stolen property! Screw that!

Some of the bullpile that a good honest person has to put up with in the worst of times is just insane...

kenyerian
01-10-2017, 01:51 AM
I'm not a big fan of pawn shops. Lots of times they are just a front for stolen goods.

Idaho45guy
01-10-2017, 05:23 AM
Lost a handgun to someone I trusted and knew where I kept my spare key to my truck hidden. He'd been clean & sober for 4 years and seemed to be 'okay'. He relapsed and of course a lot of alcoholic/drug addicts steal from family or friends first. Thinking family or friends won't file criminal charges. Not sure what he got out of the gun, but I do know he's regretted it 100's of times. Why? He lost one of his last best friends and would probably give 10 times what he got for it if it would turn back the hands of time and restore our friendship. He's clean & sober again, but never to be trusted by me.

Same thing happened to me. A custom 870 built by the famous Vang Comp. Never did recover it as the guy never owned up to it. I will never again trust an ex-con no matter how much he claims to be a Christian.

kingstrider
01-10-2017, 05:54 AM
OP I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your gun and tools. Was the gun in the cab of the truck? Did they break the glass?

That sucks about your deductible being so high since that is more than the cost of a new pistol. I know it is too late to help now but in the future you should consider a collectables policy for your guns. I have a policy that is separate from my homeowner's insurance and there is no deductible unless you are a dealer. I just pray I never have to use it.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of pawn shops. Lots of times they are just a front for stolen goods.

Depends on the person that owns the pawn shop. I've seen some that are just extensions of the original thieves and some that were run by honest men. There's a difference and it comes down to honor.
In some areas the police departments have an arrangement to recover stolen property from pawn shops and cover the cost to the pawn shop. The criminal is ordered to repay the loss. Obviously the convicted, incarcerated criminal cannot repay the police right away but eventually the money is collected and the system continues to work.
It's a pretty good system. The pawn shop doesn't make a profit when they buy stolen property but they don't lose money when they cooperate with the police. Ultimately the criminal pays to reimburse the cost to the police/pawn shop and the property gets returned to its rightful owner.

The real issue comes from criminals that are smart enough to melt jewelry down into ingots and sell that scrap gold & silver. That property will never make it back into the hands of the rightful owner.

mold maker
01-13-2017, 11:01 AM
A drunk punk slept it off in an unlocked car I was saving for a Grandaughter. He got scared early in the morning and ran without his wallet, chapstick, a shoe, phone, and his crack pipe. The law took the evidence and filled out a report and insisted I lock the doors.
Next night the punk returned to collect his stuff and broke a window to gain access. The law took another report and I was informed I would hear from the DA. Seven months later I questioned what was happening and found out the DA had decided not to prosecute.
Outcome is I'd have been better off to have bought the snot nosed punk breakfast and ignored the police.
I'm out $360. for the window, the aggravation of dealing with the LE, and the disgust of waiting forever for the DA to ignore doing it's job.
There was nothing in the car to steal and locking the doors caused the broken window.
You can't lock a thief out, only make it inconvenient, for you and the thief.........

Plate plinker
01-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Mold Maker I would be writing a letter to the DA telling him how displeased I was with the lack of effort and that I would surely be making myself heard next election cycle. That is our problem a bunch of spineless LAZY public servants.

bedbugbilly
01-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Sorry you got broken in to but it's really not a smart idea to leave a weapon in a vehicle overnight - even if it is in your driveway. Not to add salt to the wound, but it is your responsibility to know where it is at all times and to have it under your control . . . . . locked in a truck, even in a driveway is not having it "under your control".

My wife and I winter south of Tucson and all you have to do is watch the news at night to know what goes on out here. We live in a good neighborhood and we all watch out for our neighbors. Even so, my next door neighbor had somebody try and break in to his garage during the night. One of the things they are doing here is pushing in at the top of the garage door (we all have two car garages and electric openers) and reaching in with a hook and pulling the emergency disconnect cord hanging down. This allows them to quickly open the door since the automatic opener is disconnected. They'll come in a and empty the garage out while the residents are sleeping. Breaking in to cars? That's even more simple for the to do.

Again, sorry for your loss. However, if you have to leave your vehicle in your driveway, it's a pretty simple task to just take your handgun inside with you when you get home and then take it with you when you leave. That way, it is under your control and not someplace where someone who has the opportunity to steal it will take advantage of a person providing them with the "opportunity". Just another reminder to all of us that things happen when yo get "lax". Hopefully it will be recovered before it's involved in a crime but it's probably already out on the street somewhere.

GlockGuy
01-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Sorry to hear that happened -- karma usually catches up to people though.

kingstrider
01-14-2017, 04:29 PM
My wife and I winter south of Tucson and all you have to do is watch the news at night to know what goes on out here. We live in a good neighborhood and we all watch out for our neighbors. Even so, my next door neighbor had somebody try and break in to his garage during the night. One of the things they are doing here is pushing in at the top of the garage door (we all have two car garages and electric openers) and reaching in with a hook and pulling the emergency disconnect cord hanging down. This allows them to quickly open the door since the automatic opener is disconnected. They'll come in a and empty the garage out while the residents are sleeping. Breaking in to cars? That's even more simple for the to do.

I drilled holes and secured mine with utility wire to prevent this. The only way to open the door in the event of power failure would be to cut the wires from inside the garage.

Artful
01-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Ziptie thru the emergency trolley and around the cord arm - quick and easy fix for you electric openner security.

rondog
01-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Gee, ya think?

deep creek
01-14-2017, 08:23 PM
i have an elastrator and I'm not afraid to use it.now give me back my gun or ill use two rings stubby!

leadman
01-15-2017, 10:34 AM
I had the a/c unit on the house replaced in March along with more duct installation. The next week my garage was broken into. First time in over 30 years. I have a pretty good idea who did it.
Backpage and Craigslist would be 2 good places to search for your tools, and guns on Backpage.
It is amazing to watch the news and see all of the footage of criminals stealing stuff and not even caring there are cameras recording them.

myg30
01-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Armslist is another site if in area. I've even read ads on there looking for their stolen gun.
Sorry you broke into.
If you had a remote garage door opener in there, don't forget to clear the codes on the unit in the garage!
Hope they catch the thieves !
Mike