PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red

pdgh59
01-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Hi, I have been making Ed's Red for several years and I love it. Dextron III seems to be getting harder to get here in Australia, is Dextron VI a suitable replacement?

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi, I have been making Ed's Red for several years and I love it. Dextron III seems to be getting harder to get here in Australia, is Dextron VI a suitable replacement?

It's my favorite cleaner, by FAR! I have used both fluids, didn't notice any difference, YMMV.

bullseye67
01-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Good morning, I also have been an "Ed's Red" fan for years. The last batch I made I used the new formula in Glen's Cast boolits book. He switched to easier to find products. Works the same, but I don't shoot 1000's of clays anymore. So I can't verify it removes the plastic residues as well. For regular pistol and rifle clean up same as the original. Good cleaning.....

Outpost75
01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
I think when Ed originally came up with the "recipe" Dexron III was the latest iteration.

I believe that any modern ATF would be fine. I am using VI in my current batches and it works as good as ever.

pdgh59
01-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The person at the store I bought the Dextron from told me that as older vehicles disappear off the road the older type of lubricants will disappear as well. Not sure if this is true or not.

Outpost75
01-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The person at the store I bought the Dextron from told me that as older vehicles disappear off the road the older type of lubricants will disappear as well. Not sure if this is true or not.

That is true, but I have found the new synthetic ATFs are an improvement. My first ER was mixed with old Ford Mercon I found in the garage, which I used to use in an old 1970 Ford Police Interceptor I once had, worked fine.

Nueces
01-09-2017, 05:08 PM
"So, is this the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
"So, is this the new Bluesmobile, or what?"

"Fix the cigarette lighter"

Outpost75
01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Pretty much, it was dark blue too!

Sam Casey
01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Mind sharing recipes? Good for both shotgun and metallics? My Hoppes bottle almost empty.

TexasGrunt
01-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Mind sharing recipes? Good for both shotgun and metallics? My Hoppes bottle almost empty.

Google broke again?

I hate it when that happens.

Ed's Red lube:
2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil.
1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

Cleaner:
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part kerosene, deodorized K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone
Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

Nueces
01-09-2017, 07:43 PM
I made mine without the acetone, as I use it indoors, and had only 4 ounces of lanolin for the 3 quarts of Ed's Red in that first batch. Still, it's the best bore solvent I've used and that little bit of lanolin serves well to leave a thin, but noticeable, coat of oil on outer surfaces. Man, it's good stuff!

Dale53
01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Dale53

Mytmousemalibu
01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
I've converted a lot of fellow shooters to ER, it's just awesome stuff, really cleans up cruddy guns, its dirt cheap per fluid ounce compared to everything else and the odor I find to be non-offensive and perhaps even pleasant. I cannot stand the stench of Hoppe's and most other bore solvents aren't much better. The CLP types are very mild usually but they are a, "jack of all trades, master of none" type of thing and I prefer better cleaners. Ed's Red makes gun cleaning less of a chore and more of state of zen working away in the man cave! Can't go wrong with ER!

Shuz
01-10-2017, 11:41 AM
I've been using what I considered Ed's Red, for many years now; but I use Coleman fuel instead of the kerosene. Results are great! Anybody else use Coleman fuel for the kerosene?

Outpost75
01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Coleman fuel is aromatic mineral spirits, aka petroleum naptha.

I would be concerned with its lower vapor pressure, greater VOC release and high flammability.

I'm sure it works fine, but I sure don't want to breathe the fumes or risk fire in the shop!!!!

I leave the acetone out of my shop mix also, I just use ER mixed with the acetone outdoors at the range.

TexasGrunt
01-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Since the acetone will evaporate rather quickly I only add it as needed. Since I don't do a lot of shotgun stuff anymore I rarely need it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
I've made two batches. It's works real well, my SIL likes it better than any commercial product he has bought.

In both batches, I used "gum spirits of turpentine" instead of mineral spirits.
it is mentioned in the link, that it is more flammable, so beware.

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
I chose to use turpentine, since I had an old can sitting around, not being used for anything else and wanted to use it up. I kind of like the 'pine' smell it adds to the mix.

I'm sure this recipe works well with either MS or Turp...So I surely wouldn't go out and buy any expensive turp.

Mytmousemalibu
01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
A handy tip for Ed's Red is to repurpose a small pump spray bottle or buy one. Mist it onto patches, barrels, gun parts, etc. I reused a nice glass bottle that had some pine/Christmas tree fragrance in it. Glass being nice since the acetone can leech through or harm it and in a pump spray bottle you don't lose your acetone to evaporation with an open container. A plastic bottle will work if its the right kind like HDPE. Your significant other might have one you can reuse or get a lab bottle w/ pump off Amazon or something.

Outpost75
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
I use a Menda lab dispenser bottle on the bench for wetting patches, etc.
http://menda.descoindustries.com/MendaCatalog/Pump-And-Bottle/Take-Along/HDPE/35702/#.WHUaZ9IrLcs

Mytmousemalibu
01-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Oooo, that's a good idea too! I have one of those kicking around here somewhere!

Shiloh
01-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Makes sense to me. Machinery was designed around the lubricants available at the time. Newer machinery, modern lubricants, with synthetics leading the way.

Shiloh

whisler
01-10-2017, 09:50 PM
"Coleman fuel is aromatic mineral spirits, aka petroleum naptha."
Not chemically correct, it is aliphatic not aromatic, big difference in reactivity and solvency power.

Outpost75
01-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Varsol or Stoddard solvent are the aliphatic which is SPECIFIED for Ed's Red.

Coleman fuel IS petroleum naptha.

Which IS aromatic and HIGHLY FLAMMABLE.

AND THEREFORE DANGEROUS TO SUBTITUTE IN ED'S RED.

I must not have been clear when I wrote it thefirst time...

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Lurking, and found this, awesome info. Thanks for sharing!

Mytmousemalibu
01-11-2017, 12:14 AM

Coleman fuel, a.k.a. white gas or naptha is the base and main constituent in gasoline. It is basically gas before all the additives are put in and as pointed out, HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!!! It works just dandy as a cleaning solvent that flashes off quick but it will create plenty of fumes and all it would take is a little static electricity spark from a rag or patches, etc, to set it ablaze! I wouldn't be too worried outdoors using it in a well ventilated area but NOOOOoooooo way inside the house. Way to volatile but to each his own....

Shiloh
01-11-2017, 05:43 AM

Isn't oderless mineral spirits the same as Stoddard solvent??

Shiloh

Outpost75
01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Isn't oderless mineral spirits the same as Stoddard solvent?? Shiloh

Yes, "Odorless" is the aliphatic "safety" solvent.

44man
01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
If I am correct, all modern auto transmission fluids are seed based. Once whale oil was used until it became incorrect to kill them. Most good lubes are to replace that.
Newer transmission fluids still have the same base but with improvements along the way. Better corrosion control, etc. Use what you have, it will work.

whisler
01-11-2017, 10:22 PM
From wikipedia: Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclohexane), nonane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonane), octane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane), heptane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptane), and pentane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentane).[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_fuel#cite_note-3) Which of those is aromatic? The ..ane ending for any organic compound is used to denote an aliphatic compound. Aromatic compounds are based on the benzene ring which has alternating double bonds. Also from wikipedia; it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate). Hydrotreating eliminates any double bonds, rendering the material aliphatic (no double bonds). I spent several years in the solvent business and 30 years as a paint chemist and I know the difference between aliphatic and aromatic.
The major physical difference between Coleman fuel and stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) is flash point. Coleman fuel is much more flammable