PDA

View Full Version : Casters in GA

sutherpride59
01-09-2017, 01:42 AM
Anyone here in the Kingsland GA/Jacksonville Fl area? Looking to find someone to spit ball ideas with, shoot with or whatever. Just looking to meet another dedicated caster in my area who likes to drink coffee and shoot guns.

sutherpride59
01-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Bump?

runfiverun
01-11-2017, 09:27 PM
I know we got some.

Uncle Grinch
01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
It's a bit of a drive from Kingsland to middle Georgia. I find buddies in out looking cal gun club. You may join one in your area, either way, you can meet some shooting buddies.

osteodoc08
01-11-2017, 10:07 PM
I'm in NW GA if you're ever up this way. Love coffee and shooting including the proverbial bull variety

sutherpride59
01-13-2017, 02:49 AM
I'm in NW GA if you're ever up this way. Love coffee and shooting including the proverbial bull variety

Damn, I never get up in north GA but I'll take you up on that if I do.

shoot-n-lead
01-13-2017, 03:12 AM
sent pm

gunarea
01-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Hey sutherpride59
My place is about an hour South and slightly West of Jacksonville. The gun room is an area frequented by southern Bulleteers. Equipment and awards as is rarely exhibited. There is no rebuttal, I am no longer spoilt, I am ruint. Now fully retired, schedules are very relaxed and flexible.
Southern hospitality has always been a part of my nature. Fair warning! Hick libations have been responsible for many visits to become overnighters. PM for directions, specific location and appointment. C'mon down.
Roy

sutherpride59
01-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Well I'm stuck on duty for the next 3 weeks so I can't leave the area till I get off but if I get a chance to head down your way I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the invite.

Scharfschuetze
01-14-2017, 12:25 AM
Too bad you can't get up to Puyallup for another shoot-a-thon Southern Pride. Just at the same range today shooting rifles. Of course 3,000 miles from Georgia might be a bit too far for an afternoon of shooting! :)

Blackwater
01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
I'm a good two hours north of you. Would very much like to meet. There's some good shooting clubs in Brunswick. I forget how far you are from there, but some really great guys there. One friend of mine used to run the training at FLETC there, and he's an avid shooter, and one awesomely fine man. He and his buddies who've now retired do some shooting at one of the bigger clubs there. Here, gun clubs really don't have much of a chance. The politicos and snowflakes who have the political power don't much like guns, and are scared to death of anything that even remotely sounds like "liability," and they see liabilities in every shadow of everything they look at. You who have good clubs locally are SO richly blessed! Luckily, we've got a lot of farmers, and if you know some, you can always find a place to shoot. I had plans to set up a near 100 yd. range in my own back yard, but ailments prevented me from doing that so far. Sure would be nice to have my own "lab" in the back yard again.

Had a neighbor with nerve problems, a physiological situation, and they were dear friends, so I just stopped shooting in my back yard like I used to do. But they're both gone now, but I need a really good backstop to shoot "high powered rifles" as they're usually called by non-shooters here. PC has infiltrated even many of the rural areas! I think the college here has been a plague, more than an asset. It's become mostly a diploma mill for snowflakes and idjits, though they do have a couple of good programs. Their civil engineering program has proven to put out good, capable engineers. One friend of mine did VERY well with his early degree from there, but he was the kind of guy who'd have done well with no degree, too, so .... but it's been drawing some good commentary from folks in the field. Their nursing program is really good, and they turn out some really good nurses and EMT's. As to the liberal arts stuff .... well, let's just say "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all," and I'll just remain silent. They've got a pretty good criminal justice program, or did once. I wonder at some of the products they're turning out now, though. Very PC in almost all the fields, except nursing and civil engineering. Some of the other engineering fields are coming along, but a bit more slowly, it appears. They DID recently construct an indoor shooting facility on the grounds that civilians can go and pay to shoot. That was at the request of the Nat'l Guard unit that works in conjunction with them. That was a real surprise to me!

And one guy in an adjoining county has a good 1200 yd. range, with possibilities for even longer ranges. He's an ex-Army designated marksman, and a good shot, and knowledgeable realoader. And a good guy. He has aspirations to make it suitable to hold the National Matches here one day if, of course, he could get the folks in power to consider it. I can only wish him well and pray for that!

Don't get out much, or go that far these days, but if you ever get to Statesboro, PM me and we can meet up. We're right off of I-16 if you get up this way. I'd love to meet many of the guys who post here. Funny, isn't it, how you can come to care about folks you've never laid eyes on?

Scharfschuetze
01-14-2017, 01:03 AM
There's some good shooting clubs in Brunswick.

One friend of mine used to run the training at FLETC there

Went to the FLETC in Brunswick. I loved the Brunswick area, particularly in the spring.

I did lots of shooting there, but on the government ranges. I shot for the Border Patrol team at the Georgia State PPC matches there once.

I'll be in Savannah this coming April.

Blackwater
01-14-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm about 50 mi. from Savannah. I'll PM you my phone #. Call me when you get there. I'd love to meet you and buy you a cup of coffee or something. Many years back, now, a bunch of us got together to meet, and that began an annual get together than has been the highlight of my years for a long time, now. We still have a little private website where we can talk among ourselves without the inevitable contentions. We're all from similar backgrounds, good ol' country boys who made it good to various degrees. We value being able to tell a good story, true friendship, fidelity, honor, and truth. Pretty much "birds of a feather." And our little group is as close or closer than ever. They're all the type of guys that, if you called and asked them to go your bail, they wouldn't ask any questions, but would just want to know where you were. Friends like that are NOT common today! And it all starts because folks seem to be a lot more willing to reveal just who and what they are here in this etherous realm than we are in "real life," most times. Real friends, friends like this, are wondrous things to have. Very humbling to get that close to that many really great men! Good "men's clubs" are hard to find now, too. Ours is so informal that there's no way the idjit lawyers can deal with us. Now THAT is a real asset THESE days!

And we camp where there's no electricity at all, and drink from a flowing spring that the indians had drunk from for at least a century before us. And nobody ever complains, except in jest, and to spur the brethren to action, even if it's only to throw things at the complainer. Good sense of humor in all, and THIS is the way REAL men conduct themselves out in the woods. Very serious conversations are had around the campfire, but mostly, we lace them with so many jokes and laughs that it's still light hearted even then. And we're all "old pharts" so we don't let much get to us. I could see something like that growing out of this board, or even several groups having get-togethers as they identify who's compatible with who. It CAN develop into much more than a mere "meet and greet" if we let it.

When I told my wife I was driving to MS to meet with a bunch of guys I'd only known online, she thought I was crazy. She may have been right, but that craziness sure brought a bunch of great guys together in one group. They even tolerate ME!!!

Not a bad idea for those who want to pursue it. For me, one trip to MS a year is probably enough for me. But then, I thought I was satisfied without ever having gone to MS to see what all's there, too, so ..... ya' never really know 'till ya' try.

Scharfschuetze
01-14-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm about 50 mi. from Savannah. I'll PM you my phone #. Call me when you get there.

A fine idea that! I'll keep you posted via PM as to actual dates. I hope that we can have that cup a Joe or perhaps something stronger.

I have also enjoyed meeting several "pen pals" in the US, South America and Europe from the shooting sports.

sutherpride59
01-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Sorry I haven't replied in a few days but I just got back from a deployment. Blackwater I'll let you know if I get up in that area in the next few months. I plan when I finally get some friggin time to visit the gun clubs in Brunswick I hear there is a new one that should be opening. If I can find on that is pretty good and reasonable I plan to join, I can't keep paying $15 every time to shoot at an indoor 25 yard range. When Dave (Scharfschuetze) gets here maybe we will all have to meet for a cup of coffee.

sutherpride59
01-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Too bad you can't get up to Puyallup for another shoot-a-thon Southern Pride. Just at the same range today shooting rifles. Of course 3,000 miles from Georgia might be a bit too far for an afternoon of shooting! :)

It might be just a bit too far to drive :mrgreen:

Love Life
01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm in Albany, GA. I am a member at a club with a 400 yd rifle range, 100 yard rifle range, 22lr range, and many pistol ranges. All with steel to shoot at. Shoot me a PM if you make it over this way and I can meet you at the range to sign you in and shoot.

Scharfschuetze
01-17-2017, 10:44 PM
When Dave (Scharfschuetze) gets here maybe we will all have to meet for a cup of coffee.

That is a stellar idea Southern Pride. I shall update you two and anyone else in the vicinity that would like to join us as the time approaches. I should be there around the 13th of April though 17th. I have some family responsibilities, but we should be able to work something out.

Too bad Albany is so far from the coast. I'd love to meet Love Life too. If I ever get back to Fort Benning for reunions and what not, I'll keep Albany in mind.

Blackwater
01-17-2017, 11:21 PM
My offer is to any who post here. Savannah is a great city to explore, so if you can, arrange some "extra" time if you get there. You won't regret it. They still have horse drawn carriage rides there, and the live oaks with all the Spanish moss line many streets, and keep it a lot cooler in the summertime. It's full of history. Dining at the old Pirate's House restaurant used to be a MUST, but I'm not even sure it's still open now. It's gone through a number of changes of hands and quality of the food and prices have varied quite a bit. River Street is lined with small juke joints in the evenings, and gift shops. There's a gay bar on the other side of the street behind the shops, across from the old "Cotton Exchange" building, so be aware of that. Saw two bedraggled looking vagrants I think they were, and they burst out of the door loudly. I and my wife and some friends were walking back to our car after the Jazz Festival, and my hand instantly shot to my pocket for my little gun. They staggered out, spitting and gagging. "I thought those were WOMEN we were dancing with, didn't you?" one said to the other. I think you guys wouldn't make such a mistake though! :mrgreen:

Savannah's a really interesting place, but there ARE some places white folks still don't go there - the black housing projects. The blacks that control it won't put up with "whitey" being there. I went there once with a friend on a repo for his business, both armed, and we got in and out OK, but it was a bit of a risk, even then. Not sure how it is now, but I'm sure no engraved invitations to us whites are being printed, whatever the status is now.

Mostly, it's just a really beautiful (at least in places) place with a lot of history and ambience. It's slower paced than any other large sized city (I call it "large" anyway) I've ever seen, for the most part. Old historical buildings have been kept up well and maintained and repaired. There are ordnances that require this of the owners.

If you've ever wanted to get the same kind of feeling folks had 100 or more years ago, it's a marvelous place to visit. You'll likely savor its charms for a long time. It truly is charming.

My little town would be just another stop along the way, so Savannah really offers you the best experience you'll find around here. Anyone coming nearby, PM me and I'll give you my # and we can meet up. I've already had one "meet up" turn into lifelong friendships. Lightning DOES strike twice every now and then! :-D

Scharfschuetze
01-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Savannah is a great city to explore

In my mind, it is the quintessential Southern city. A wonderful place to visit. Spring is the best of all when all the azelea and dogwoods are in bloom.

Savannah escaped General Sherman's burning of the South as he presented the city to President Lincoln for his birthday as I recall.

Love Life
01-18-2017, 01:38 PM
If any of you are ever in the area, give me a shout.

Blackwater
01-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Yep. The leaders of the city knew they had no way to resist Sherman, and for once, he didn't destroy everything in sight. It was a good but regrettable move on their part to surrender the city. "He who lives to fight another day" and all that. All the able bodied men were afield already, and only old men, boys and women were left. A few necessary able bodied me had to stay to keep things going and do what lesser men couldn't, or didn't know how to do, but that was about it for able bodied men. And Savannah's long held onto their appreciation for history, and its value. Only those who know history, and truly understand it, CAN learn from it. The rest get to be able to "remember" what they WANT to "remember." Bitterness tends to fix memories in those who've had that experience, and the rest are free to think whatever they wish. Savannah has been richly blessed for a long time. Its origins seems to have been as a pirate's stronghold, originally. That's in the days of NA "ownership," of course. They apparently got along fairly well with the NA's, but if they didn't, they had lots and lots of guns and powder, so the NA's kind'a had to learn to get along with them.

And they have some "ghost tours" in both busses and horse driven carts and wagons that tell of the legends, but I'm not into that sort of stuff. It's a unique place, full of both good and bad, like every other city in the world. But it's beautiful and inspiring, and folks who appreciate that get along VERY well there. Some extremely good docs call it home, with some really impressive credentials. I think they just like the place, the atmosphere, and the finer perks. They even have a ballet and a symphony orchestra. It'd take MUCH more than a 30 day stay to get to see it all.

And if you fish, they've got some very good salt water fishing, and some of the best fresh water fishing anywhere on earth. But IMO you have to go out @ 50 mi. or so to get to the best of it. If you fish, call Miss Judy Charters. She's been around for decades and decades now, and her Dad was an old moonshiner from way back when. He HAD to know every nook and cranny, and where his boat could go and the Coast Guard's boats couldn't. She can keep a party entranced with the stories she has of her and her Dad's early days, and has a great sense of humor about it all. That helps if the fish aren't biting, but she almost never gets skunked. She always knows some place to go for maybe another species that WILL bite, and very, very few of her charters are ever disappointed.

Many of Savannah's "characters" have long stories behind them. It's biggest celebration is St. Patty's day, and they do that one up BIG time there. It's a little of New Orleans, only more "tamed," at least to a bit of an extent, and mixed with traditional southern traditions. And everybody loves it, except for those who'll never really love anything in this world. It can't get much better than that for a city.