PDA

View Full Version : Best Neck Turner and Is Outside Better Than Inside Or No Difference

jonp
01-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Is the Forster Outside the way to go or can someone recommend a different one like the Wilson inside reamer? Will I notice the difference? I'm interested not in bench rest but thinning the neck of converted brass if it is a little thick.

375RUGER
01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
I use the sinclair tool myself. yes, I would recommend it to a friend. I bet other brands do a fine job too. I believe you want to outside neck turn, which makes the neck a uniform wall thickness. It also helps to center the bullet in the bore. I guess you could ream, but IIRC you have to fire full power loads to form the case to chamber then ream.
I notice a difference in turned necks.

country gent
01-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Outside neck turning you need to becareful not to leave a doughnut at the neck shoulder junction of the case. This is a thick spot where the case didnt get turned due to sholder cutter misalighnment or not turning back far enough. Neck turning is probably more accurate when truing cases for pure accuracy as it gives a more consistant neck wall thickness. Neck reaming is easier as it can go thru the neck all the way not leaving the doughnut. the reamers tend to follow the existing hole so they may not do as good a job making brass necks consistant as to neck wall thickness. For what you state neck reaming may be the way to go. Also neck reaming may be affected by the necks hrdness and springing away from the cutters. Neck turning is done on a mandrel so spring isnt as big an issue here. The spring issue will become more important as the reamer is used and dulls increasing cutting force. In the end either will work for you. Ideally hand reaming with a sizing die supporting the case neck and bushed to reamer dia should be pretty quick and acurate since the die is supporting the case neck from spring and the reamer bushing is supporting the reamer straight and true.

MT Chambers
01-08-2017, 09:05 PM
When necessary I turn case necks with Sinclair equipment.

JSH
01-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Reaming will thin up neck walls and be off center.
Turning will true up and true from side to side.
Mid you have enough to play with you can do both.
I use a Forster to turn with. I went to Lapua brass and no turn necks.

lotech
01-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I've turned case necks externally for years using a Forster tool. I've never encountered a situation where inside neck reaming would be preferable or necessary.

popper
01-09-2017, 11:27 AM
IIRC, RCBS tool. Chuck the BO case in a drill and hold the turning tool. I reversed the spring on the cutter, use a feeler gauge to set the cut & lock down with the grub screw.

midnight
01-09-2017, 12:48 PM
I believe outside turning is the way to go. Necks will be consistent thickness all the way around. Reaming will get the bullet to fit the neck but if the neck was thicker on one side, it will still be that way after reaming. Try making 219 Don Wasp cases from 30-30 and you will learn all about neck turning.

Bob

dragon813gt
01-09-2017, 02:25 PM
They are two different operations used for two different things. If your conversion is making the necks extremely thick reaming is usually necessary. If they're not to bad than outside turning will work. Some brands of 233 brass will require turning when converting to 300BO as an example.

jonp
01-09-2017, 08:53 PM
They are two different operations used for two different things. If your conversion is making the necks extremely think reaming is usually necessary. If they're not to bad than outside turning will work. Some brands of 233 brass will require turning when converting to 300BO as an example.
I don't make the necks on my 233 think anymore than they have to :kidding:

5Shot
01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
I think 21st Century makes the best one. I like the expander mandrels from PMA.

dragon813gt
01-09-2017, 09:23 PM
I don't make the necks on my 233 think anymore than they have to :kidding:

Fixed, stupid auto correct.

DDriller
01-14-2017, 08:13 PM
I use the K&M turner for most of my turning.

Smoke4320
01-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Had a Sinclair years ago did great
Have a RCBS now does a good job as well

beltfed
01-15-2017, 10:59 AM
The Lyman neck turning attachment works very well
It is used on their Universal Trimmer.
beltfed/arnie

redriverhunter
01-15-2017, 12:07 PM
I am not experienced enough to tell you about inner or outer neck turning. I did find that when i converted 7mm08 from 308 win. that after a few reloads my neck did get thicker. I used http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219...de-neck-turner (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219509/forster-hand-held-outside-neck-turner). The foster works but I had a hard time with the tool that is meant to hold the brass never could get a good grip, maybe I was trying to turn too much too fast don't know. rrh

laveritt
01-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I have done both internal reaming & outside neck turning. I prefer to outside neck turn. I use a Pumpkin made by Don Nielson. PMA & K&M are also very good.