PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird freindly gunclub or shooting range

The Double D
06-24-2008, 09:21 PM
The wife and I are thinking about hooking up the travel trailer and going south this winter. Can anyone recommend a location in warmer climes where I might find a gunclub or rifle range that welcomes Snowbirds.

I would want to be able set up my chronograph and shoot my Martini's.

Would be nice to have a reloading press that visitors could use.

The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is not a consideration

AZ-Stew
06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
The Phoenix, AZ, area is Snowbird Central during the winter. We're fully equipped to accommodate you, your wife and the travel trailer at many locations about the Valley of the Sun. On the East end is the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club (http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/), and on the northwest side is Ben Avery Shooting Facility (http://www.basfaz.com/ ). Both clubs have excellent facilities, though I recommend that you limit your activities to weekdays, as the weekends are extremely busy.

I don't know that either facility accommodates handloaders on rental equipment. It's not difficult, though, to assemble a portable setup that will allow you to replenish your ammo supply, even if it is slower than what you're normally used to. A hand press, scale and powder measure, along with your required die sets and a priming tool needn't take up much more than a shoe box of space.

Regards,

Stew

e15cap
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Yuma has a nice range and lots of snowbirds

Echo
06-25-2008, 01:54 AM
We in Tucson are blessed with a couple of nice ranges. Tucson Rifle Club has a good rifle range out west of town, and have good matches and friendly shooters. On the SE side of town is the SE Regional Park Shooting range. Good facility, no RL for rent, but 30 firing points, 18 to 50 yards, 12 to 200. Fairly new. And we have many very nice resort-level RV parks.

Buckshot
06-25-2008, 02:03 AM
.............Both Tucson and Sierra Vista have excellent ranges, as in HUGE. I've shot at both. What's nice about Sierra Vista (besides my folks living there) is that it's elevation of 4400 tp 4800 ft. You don't get the scalding hot temps as in other AZ areas. It's outside the gates of Ft Huachuca, which has 3 museums on base. One about the fort's history, one about Army intelligence (which is what the base is about) and one about the 9th & 10th Cavalry, better known as the Buffalo Soldiers.

The range is about midway between SV and Bisbee, AZ (former copper mining town, now a artsy fartsy touristy place, but still fun). Also east of SV you have Tombstone. Not too far south is Mexico. SV is about 40 minutes SE of Tucson.

So your'e home from Africa, eh?

..............Buckshot

The Double D
06-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, I am home from Africa and enjoying the retired life, thank you for asking

I am not a total stranger to AZ, having been a Phoenix Police Officer back in the early 70's and working for a year as a contract cop at Wilcox after they sent all their cops to prison for operating a burglary ring.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I won't be doing any competitive shooting. I am going to be working on research for a book. I am going to need to be able to set up my chronograph and my targets. Some Ranges don't allow that. I might setup a Victorian Rifleman Provincial Shoot should the range allow it.

Does any one have contact information for the ranges at Yuma, Tucson or Sierra Vista.

Also any contact information for trailer parks near the ranges would be helpful.