PDA

View Full Version : Does Annealing significantly affect case dimensions?

Hick
01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
With 20+ reloads on my 32 WS and 30-30 brass, and the first few neck splits showing up, I've decided this winter would be a good time to anneal all these cases. All my cases are fire-formed to my rifles and I neck size only. The question for those with experience in this i: Does annealing cause any significant change in dimensions that might make the fire-formed cases no longer fit the rifle? Or-- do I have to full length size before annealing? I'd rather keep them as fire-formed but don't want to make them not fit the chamber and then have to fire-form again.

country gent
01-08-2017, 03:18 PM
DOne correctly and handled carefully you should be okay. The heated cases are much softer while hot so banging them around may cause dents and dings that cause problems. If necks are already splitting it may be a little to late for some. Work them carefully and you should be okay

375RUGER
01-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Should be fine. Anneal them first, neck size as you have been. See if they chamber. I don't spect you will have any extra rework. Have your doubts? Do a batch of 10 first and see what happens.

JSH
01-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Neck sizing, depending on how much brass you are moving. I would suggest every third to forth time on you annealing.
I partial neck size, no more than the length of the bullet in the case. I anneal every third sizing, have cases that have been fired in excess of thirty times.

Mind you, all all of my cases are made for each gun and that one only.
If brass/ammo is used in various guns I would say every third time at the most.

John Boy
01-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Does annealing cause any significant change in dimensions that might make the fire-formed cases no longer fit the rifle?No. Just anneal from the mouth to the seating depth of the bullet at 625-650 degrees