PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Hand Press

Wayne Smith
01-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Just sat here in front of the fire, watching the snow fall, and sized ~250 45ACP that spent the night in the polisher.

Thanks, Randy!

osteodoc08
01-07-2017, 06:23 PM
It really is a super nice press. There is no slop in the mechanism and should do well with light duty operations. My envisioned roll is one to bring to the range with prepped brass and make some loads at the bench and save time and cost in load development. I can, on the fly make some ammo with a specific powder amount and take a few shots. If it looks good, I can load more. If it looks not quite good enough, I can move on.

I can can make a quick ladder load and then go from there

FSR
01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
This looks like a must have for small dwellings, range loading and the like. I will be ordering one soon.

jcwit
01-08-2017, 07:12 PM
I'll just stick with either a Lee Loader or wilson dies and a Sinclare arbor press.

DCM
01-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Certainly looks to be better than a Lee hand press.

jcwit
01-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Certainly looks to be better than a Lee hand press.

That it does, never had the Lee hand Press, just didn't like the way it operated.

Wasn't putting down the Buchanan press at all, but for me I usually just neck size and use the arbor press. The arbor press is way to light to full length size rifle or even some pistol calibers.

Wayne Smith
01-09-2017, 09:01 AM
For me loading has always been something done essentially alone - LOML is not really interested and the boys never caught on. For me to take it out of the loading room downstairs and be involved in something else with LOML while I do it was a revelation.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
It sure is a sweet looking press, if I had a need for a unmounted press, I'd surely order one.

Dave18
02-03-2017, 04:25 PM
it screams precision, sized out what I would be using this press for my 44 and 357 stuff, right this moment it seems to be the same effort between the lee and it, might find something to scientifically measure with, and get back with everyone, (but this is in the trivial pursuit area of things, randy had said it had 25% gain over the lee, might be my arms are out of calibration today,:wink: )
over the yrs, I have ,always wanted the Huntington press, and missed out on that, and when this came up, wasn't going pass it up, expensive yes, but sometime you just say heck with it, and grab something you wanted for yrs,

anyway, thanks for making this randy, really like this press,

Artful
02-12-2017, 01:03 AM
I have the Huntington press and the Buchanan - I rate Randy's press much higher.

Love Life
02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
I have press number 25, and have used it quite a bit at home and on the range. According to all of my overpriced measuring tools, my BPM hand press loads ammunition every bit as good as my single stage presses. I love it for the range and it is worth every penny.

Nueces
02-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I also have both the Decker-Huntington and the Buchanan. The Buchanan is a work of art. The D-H's only advantage is in it's smaller size, which would matter to someone building a backpack kit.