PDA

View Full Version : Looking for these .54 molds and info on the Sharps Christmas Tree Bullet...

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Hello! I would like to apologize in advance to the mods as I hope this is an ok thread to post. I figure it is best to try here and see if I can find these molds.

These molds seem to be fairly if not really hard to find and I figure its time to try here and see if I have any success in my hunt. Seriously, thank you so very much in advance!

1.) Thompson-Center .54 Maxi-Ball (Curvy Version). I am looking for this version of the Maxi-Ball that has trapezoidal lube grooves.

2.) Lyman 540619

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20540619.jpg

3.) Lyman 548669

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20548669.png

4.) Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet. I have read this went with .54cal sharps? Is this a true .54cal bullet for a Sharps ML or is this a .557 dia like the number leads me to believe?

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20557489.jpg

triggerhappy243
01-07-2017, 04:37 AM
certainly not asking much. LOL that top one is indeed rare. And a 54 cal. lyman maxi? I have never seen a lyman maxi.

54bore
01-07-2017, 11:00 AM
certainly not asking much. LOL that top one is indeed rare. And a 54 cal. lyman maxi? I have never seen a lyman maxi.

I believe Lyman was the main manufacturer of TC molds, The TC molds were all made of aluminum, Lyman brand name molds they used steel. I am almost positive without looking that Lyman stil offers a Maxi ball in .50 Cal, maybe 45 as well? I know they do NOT make one in .54 anymore. I wish my molds were steel, i MUCH prefer a good steel mold over an aluminum mold.

February 7, 2007 below are a list of facts on t/c mould blocks i hope they are found to be useful. 1. T/C DID NOT MAKE A 58 CAL MAXI HUNTER MOULD FOR SALE, BUT THEY DO SELL THE CAST BULLETS. 2. T/C MOULDS WERE MADE FOR A SHORT TIME THROUGH BY SHILOH, UNTIL BUSINESS PROBLEMS BETWEEN T/C AND SHILOH ERUPTED. 3. T/C ALSO HAD FOR A EXTREMELY SHORT PERIOD OHAUS PRODUCE MOULDS FOR THEM. 3. T/C WOULD PUT NEW LABELS OVER OLD ONES ON THE MOULD BOXES WHEN THEY NEEDED TO. SO SOME OF THE BOXES HAVE A LABEL UNDER, CAREFULLY REMOVING THE TOP LABEL SOMETIMES REVEALS RARE EARLY BOXES OR MISPRINTS. 4. T/C MOULD HANDLES ORIGINALLY HAD BRASS FINISHES, WHICH USUALLY WORE AWAY EASILY. NEW HANDLES WITH BRASS ARE RARE. 5. OLD SHILOH MOULDS AND HANDLES WILL INTERCHANGE WITH T/C MOULDS AND HANDLES.

rda72927
01-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Lyman doesn't make the 54 anymore, I had to keep looking on Evil-Bay to find mine. They do come up time to time. Do a search on Evil-bay for Lyman 54 Maxi, then click on follow search. You will get an email when one come's up for sale. The mold shoots great out of my 54 Renegade.

waarp8nt
01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
I can verify 3 and 4 on the list of facts. I bought some T/C molds while at Friendship, all of the boxes were damaged from being open or wet. Double labels were pealing and among the molds were a few brass color handles. I set Indian style and dug through the box cherry picking the molds that had no rust or missing screws. Unfortunately I did not buy any doubles...looking back I should have made an offer on the whole box.

JohnCWF
01-07-2017, 03:25 PM
The Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet is for making paper cartridges for the .54 Sharps breechloading "Paper Cutter." That mould is long discontinued. I always get outbid when one pops up on eBay.

(Picture is a bullet/cartridge made from Pedersoli's Sharps mould).

59sharps
01-07-2017, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Cag40Navy;3901772]
if you are looking for a christmas tree stile you have a few places /choices.
try charlie Hahn (not sure if he makes them or has them made), moose molds and brooks.
I have one that brooks made for me and one that moose made. both perform very well in my 63 Shiloh.

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 05:15 PM

I aim to please haha. Its going to be a lot harder than I thought but I am determined to find these molds.

Lyman doesn't make the 54 anymore, I had to keep looking on Evil-Bay to find mine. They do come up time to time. Do a search on Evil-bay for Lyman 54 Maxi, then click on follow search. You will get an email when one come's up for sale. The mold shoots great out of my 54 Renegade.

I wish they still did like they do the .50's and .45's. Ill keep that in mind and keep a sharp eye out on Fleabay.

I can verify 3 and 4 on the list of facts. I bought some T/C molds while at Friendship, all of the boxes were damaged from being open or wet. Double labels were pealing and among the molds were a few brass color handles. I set Indian style and dug through the box cherry picking the molds that had no rust or missing screws. Unfortunately I did not buy any doubles...looking back I should have made an offer on the whole box.

Dang. That sucks. Sounds like it was treasure trove!

The Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet is for making paper cartridges for the .54 Sharps breechloading "Paper Cutter." That mould is long discontinued. I always get outbid when one pops up on eBay.

That's good to know! You know the nominal diameter the bullets were sized to?

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=Cag40Navy;3901772]
if you are looking for a christmas tree stile you have a few places /choices.
try charlie Hahn (not sure if he makes them or has them made), moose molds and brooks.
I have one that brooks made for me and one that moose made. both perform very well in my 63 Shiloh.

Nice! Ill go check them out!

JeffinNZ
01-07-2017, 05:38 PM
David at CBE does one.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/if-you-cant-find-it-anywhere-else-have-a-look-in-here/54-sharps-no-1-single-cavity

OverMax
01-07-2017, 05:58 PM
There were 3-different Maxi (single core) weight molds offered by T/C. (365 430 530) I have the two(2) heaviest of those 54s offered..
365gr T/C I believe the OP has pictured.
I also have a Lyman/ Ideal Maxi. Don't recall its weight?
Been a long time since a 54 Maxi was poured here. I think the last time my Maxi's seen lead was about the time EBay ban the auctions of bullets & brass.

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
David at CBE does one.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/if-you-cant-find-it-anywhere-else-have-a-look-in-here/54-sharps-no-1-single-cavity

Thanks! I will go check them out! I am thinking about getting these molds and still hunting for the Lyman design as well. :D

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 06:12 PM
There were 3-different Maxi (single core) weight molds offered by T/C. (365 430 530) I have the two(2) heaviest of those 54s offered..
365gr T/C I believe the OP has pictured.
I also have a Lyman/ Ideal Maxi. Don't recall its weight?
Been a long time since a 54 Maxi was poured here. I think the last time my Maxi's seen lead was about the time EBay ban the auctions of bullets & brass.

Dang. That must of been a while ago but I don't remember when Fleabay decided on a ban against that. Must have been a while ago....

54bore
01-07-2017, 06:37 PM

54bore
01-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Here is my 36 Cal TC Mold, They did the same design with the .36 Cal as the odd shaped 54 you are looking for. The top mold in my previous post is my TC .54 which is EXACTLY the mold you are looking for, i have both. And the bottom pic i have no idea about? Other than the bullet design is the same, no idea who made that one? I wouldn't think that hinged design would be worth a hoot? I found that picture through a google search. Maybe someone on here will know something about it?

rda72927
01-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Sam, I couldn't figure out how to post a pic to a PM. So I'll post it here..

triggerhappy243
01-07-2017, 09:08 PM
rda72927, is that an aluminum mold 54 cal.?

Cag40Navy
01-07-2017, 09:13 PM

I know I am not him but that is Lyman 540619.

rda72927
01-07-2017, 10:49 PM
I know I am not him but that is Lyman 540619.

Correct, Lyman 540619. Got it on Evil Bay a year ago.

54bore
01-07-2017, 11:05 PM

Lyman Maxi = Steel Mold

triggerhappy243
01-08-2017, 12:24 AM
i have never seen a steel 54 maxi-ball mold

Cag40Navy
01-08-2017, 12:45 AM
Yea, the Lyman/Ideal molds were Steel. They are hard to find as I am finding out along with the T/C Curvy and of course the Sharps Christmas Tree but that has some options.

54bore
01-08-2017, 01:37 AM
I remember reading quite a bit of bad about the Lyman steel Maxi molds, that was back in my Quest to find all of the different TC molds in .54 Cal, i cant remember all of the details, but i wanna say under, or oversized driving bands? I only found complaints with the Lyman Steel Molds. I ended up finding 5 of the 6 TC Molds for .54 Cal, TC did not mark the weights on the packages, just a mold no. per Caliber stating it was a Maxi Ball, or a Maxi Hunter. I found 3 different TC Maxi Balls, and 2 different TC Maxi Hunters, each weighing substantially different, and configured differently. I know this pic of mine has been on this forum LOTS of times but i will post it again, it shows all 5 bullets from my molds, all 54 Caliber, as you can see they are all differently configured. The top 2 bullets are from my Maxi Hunter Molds, and the bottom 3 bullets are from my Maxi ball Molds. All 5 of my molds are Aluminum. Also the smaller of the 2 Maxi Hunters has a sharp pointed hollow point pin, and the bigger Maxi Hunter has a rounded hollow point pin.

doc1876
01-08-2017, 08:43 AM
My cousin in Montana has the mold for the Sharps bullet, He may loan it to you to make them if you would make some for him. I will have to ask.
and if you are interested in the partial box of 15, of the other, I have them, just pay shipping.

54bore
01-08-2017, 11:11 AM
I have seen a few different threads on here that talked about hate and discontent with Lyman Steel molds, and their customer service SUCKING at best. I know i read enough, and have been warned by 2 friends to stay away from their molds that i have done just that, being MUCH better off spending a little extra and ordering a mold from Accurate, or NOE. I do not own a Lyman mold, nor have i ever, so i am not speaking from personal experience

mooman76
01-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Lyman quality seems to be slipping allot the past few years. Undersized moulds are common which comes from using their mould cherry too long after it has worn down thus cutting undersized mould. This basiclally makes for casters having too small of bullets. You would think when they see their bussiness sales slipping, they would try to do something about it.

OverMax
01-08-2017, 12:08 PM
From my 54 the Thompson mold casts are bit more accurate than the Lyman. But when adding a Ox Yoke button wad under their maxi's. Both Maxi's then target equally well.

Powder charging.
54 likes a heavy charging. I found what ever I shot out of mine required 90 to 100 by volume FFG to see the conical balls ultimate accuracy.

Haven't shot a Maxi in years at a deer. Just to much lead weight and overwhelming shock for a thin skinned animal. 230 gr P-Rd ball is> just right.

waarp8nt
01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
To me a picture is worth a thousand words. Rather than try to explain it, I dusted off some molds and took pictures. I believe all except the steel lyman were purchased at Friendship Indiana, it was 20 years ago when I bought them so I just cannot say for sure other than I am certain all of the aluminum molds came from a vendor at Friendship.

I have never had good luck with the Maxi style molds out of my T/C's either in 50 or 54 caliber with a 1 in 48 twist. The best groups were with a shorter bullet design like the buffalo bullets or the lightest Lee REAL per caliber size (See the 54 renegade HotRod Thread started by triggerhappy243). I believe this is why the Green Mountain 1 in 28 barrels are so desirable.

To the author of this thread Cag40Navy...PM me if something is of interest to you.

54bore
01-08-2017, 12:42 PM
I nearly bought a Steel Lyman mold for my 357 (i cant remember the mold no.?) anyway, a good friend who owns a TON of molds talked me out of it, told me i would be MUCH better off spending a little extra on an Accurate, or NOE mold. If irc Idahoron had a bad experience with a Lyman mold along with their customer service. Not worth the risk to me, id much rather risk a 20 dollar Lee mold than a 80 dollar Lyman

waarp8nt
01-08-2017, 12:48 PM
I nearly bought a Steel Lyman mold for my 357 (i cant remember the mold no.?) anyway, a good friend who owns a TON of molds talked me out of it, told me i would be MUCH better off spending a little extra on an Accurate, or NOE mold. If irc Idahoron had a bad experience with a Lyman mold along with their customer service. Not worth the risk to me, id much rather risk a 20 dollar Lee mold than a 80 dollar Lyman

Although I wasn't aware of the current issues...I'm thankful all of my Lyman molds are older.

Cag40Navy
01-08-2017, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't trash Lyman molds. Newer production should be carefully watched but a majority of the molds I own and use are Lyman and work wonderfully. Their QC and CS does suck.

mooman76
01-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Lyman moulds are good or are when they are cut right but when you can't count on getting a good one, you naturally look else where. I have some too and they are good but they are older ones. I'd buy an older one no problem but new ones, I'd probably pass unless I didn't have other options.

54bore
01-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Lyman moulds are good or are when they are cut right but when you can't count on getting a good one, you naturally look else where. I have some too and they are good but they are older ones. I'd buy an older one no problem but new ones, I'd probably pass unless I didn't have other options.

mooman76, i was just getting ready to reply but you said it EXACTLY how i was gonna! Thank ya!

54bore
01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
I am definately not a Lyman Hater by any means, I have their 57SML peeps and 17 Globes on 5 different rifles, do the math and that equals a fair amount of change ($600.00 or better just in sights) I have heard plenty enough about their piss poor customer service to detour me from buying their molds, I understand when you get a good one they are great molds, but if you get one with an issue you are likely SOL, which is REALLY a bummer!! Good customer service means a TON to me! To many other outfits that will take care of ya if there's a legitimate problem

1Hawkeye
01-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Moose moulds makes a copy of the sharps Christmas tree mold and they are on line

Squeeze
01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
moose also makes the sharps http://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013/sharpsxmas

Cag40Navy
01-13-2017, 03:44 AM
Awesome. I will look into them! Ill still keep my eyes out for the Lyman version but this should be good as well! They do steel molds?

varsity07840
01-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Hello! I would like to apologize in advance to the mods as I hope this is an ok thread to post. I figure it is best to try here and see if I can find these molds.

These molds seem to be fairly if not really hard to find and I figure its time to try here and see if I have any success in my hunt. Seriously, thank you so very much in advance!

1.) Thompson-Center .54 Maxi-Ball (Curvy Version). I am looking for this version of the Maxi-Ball that has trapezoidal lube grooves.

2.) Lyman 540619

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20540619.jpg

3.) Lyman 548669

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20548669.png

4.) Lyman 557489 or the Sharps "Christmas Tree" bullet. I have read this went with .54cal sharps? Is this a true .54cal bullet for a Sharps ML or is this a .557 dia like the number leads me to believe?

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/raptoreaglephotos/Lyman%20557489.jpg
You'd be wise to determine the land to land(bore size) and groove to groove dimensions of your rifle before you try either style bullet. Both are intended for rifles with a .54 bore. The maxi is oversized at the top band to engrave into
the rifling with the lower portion undersized to bump up at ignition and obviously is intended for muzzle loading. The xmas tree is tapered the opposite way because it's loaded from the breech.The .557 is the widest part of the bullet, intended to fill the grooves. In either case, the bullet may be too big for your bore. Some Sharps are .54 bore size which would be fine, but others are not. My 1863 Pedersoli Sharps has a .520 bore and .540 groove barrel. I shoot a
Moose .544 xmas tree sized to .542. I believe Shiloh percussion rifles have a .53 bore and shallower rifling than the Pedersoli which gives them a groove to groove size of around .540. Bottom line is you need a bullet that is .001-.002
OVER groove size.