PDA

View Full Version : Bake in the house??????

260 Striker
01-07-2017, 01:13 AM
New to PC bullets and getting ready to make my first batch. Have some HF powder and also some from Smoke. Just wanted to know if baking bullets gives off any horrible smoke, fumes, odors or any other bad things that prevent baking bullets inside a house. I cast in my garage with windows and doors open and fans going but not an option in winter when temps are about zero here in OH or I would bake in my garage. Never saw any comments about ventilation needs while baking and want to do the right thing. Don't know if the smell of baking bullets is better than my wife's cooking so that is another reason I need advice!!!!

shoot-n-lead
01-07-2017, 01:24 AM
I would bake outside...seems that mine gives off a good bit of fumes.

But, you could give it a try and see...or others may say that they do it with no issues.

HABCAN
01-07-2017, 01:51 AM
Yeah, indoors, no issues.

Rich22
01-07-2017, 01:56 AM
after 4 or 5 trays the smell is significant in an enclosed 3 car garage. If you have others in the house, I wouldn't do it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-07-2017, 02:12 AM
If you are happily married, and wish to remain so, you will refrain from such activities.

corbinace
01-07-2017, 03:50 AM
My sweetheart is very understanding. I use Smokes coatings and do not notice much odor.

hunter49
01-07-2017, 03:53 AM
I would not recommend baking in the same oven that you bake your food in. There is a good chance of cross contamination into your food. Most definately need proper ventilation. You might want to check out a Material Safety Data Sheet that Powder By The Pound has listed.

www.powderbuythepound.com/pdf/MSDS%20RAL-5015.pdf (http://www.powderbuythepound.com/pdf/MSDS%20RAL-5015.pdf)

Grmps
01-07-2017, 04:24 AM
I bake and cast in my garage with the doors closed but I have a kitchen hood vent with a booster fan duct ed out the attic crawl hole. Works great and keep me casting / coating in the winter.

Walter Laich
01-07-2017, 08:40 AM
the inside of my oven gets a thin coating of, for lack of a better description, is a cooked on mist of the powder. Every so often I have to clean off the toaster oven glass with a razor blade so I can see through it.

guessing here but I think that stuff is in the air as I take the bullets to the oven--personally I'd rather not have that in the house

BNE
01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I have started sticking my small baking oven just outside of the garage. I was doing it in the garage with a vent fan over the oven. The fumes were still to stong for my wife.

Having it just outside the garage door eliminates that problem.

260 Striker
01-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I did buy a dedicated convection toaster oven to bake my bullets so no worry about contaminating food. I may try to bake in my unheated garage but suspect results won't be too good if temps are about zero outside and garage is unheated. Will first have to see if oven can even get up to 400 degrees in unheated garage. May also let bake a little longer if oven does get hot enough.

jcwit
01-07-2017, 02:03 PM
For no more than I do I've used our cooking oven in the summer with all windows & doors open. I've talked to a number of local powder coating businesses and even a few of their suppliers, all tell me it should be no harm.

I'll take their word for it.

brassrat
01-08-2017, 01:06 AM
My toaster oven gets a boost up into the hood and turned on high, not many fumes and no other toaster oven for me and my food.

Budzilla 19
01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Outside.............,always. After 37+ years of marriage to a beautiful red headed Cajun woman, I know what I can get away with. And baking boolits indoors is NOT one of the things I can get away with! Hahahaha!!!!!! Good luck.

OS OK
01-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Why not put a small piece of plywood over the stove top burners, set your PC convection oven on that and crank the vent hood to high...surely that would eliminate odors...

Smk SHoe
01-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Ive been married to a Iowa Hawkeye for close to 30 myself. I can spend all kinds of money on my reload and shooting no problem. Baking bullets in the kitchen oven may bring that to a halt. As long as the smell's stay in the garage, I'm good. 35$ toaster oven to keep a happy marriage- Priceless

Thompsoncustom
01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
I bake PC bullets in the house oven there is a little smell according to the wife but I really don't notice it.

popper
01-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Both those powders give off a slight noxious odor of cooking plastic. Just put a heavy folded towel over the oven for insulation and bake away in the garage. If the oven won't hold temp you can always finish on a warmer day. No, cotton will not catch on fire but after a while it may get brownish so don't use a good one.

260 Striker
01-08-2017, 08:17 PM
I have a 3' square top kitchen base cabinet from a kitchen remodel to use for my convection oven in the garage. I wonder if I built a box out of plywood to sit on top of that with some 1" foam insulation around that to hold in the heat when baking bullets when temperature is zero outside. I think the oven is built to withstand high temperatures but don't know how hot it would get inside a 3' insulated cube. Of course when warmer outside I would not use the insulated box around the oven. With the convection fan running I don't know if it would get too hot inside a box like that. I would need a door of course and could leave that open just a crack to allow some ventilation. Think that would work on cold days????? Another option is we now have an extra bathroom in the basement that is hardly used now that youngest daughter got married. Thought about putting oven in the bathroom with the outside vent running. Smells don't always follow moving air so still don't want to get bad smells in the house. Sounds like baking most PC bullets really doesn't smell that bad.

popper
01-09-2017, 08:24 PM
No to foam, yes to fire glass batts.

260 Striker
01-09-2017, 11:48 PM
No to foam, yes to fire glass batts.

I should have stated the foam would be on the outside of the plywood. I can imagine it would be bad to be on the oven side of the box. Thanks for pointing that out.

Grmps
01-12-2017, 04:42 PM
I have started sticking my small baking oven just outside of the garage. I was doing it in the garage with a vent fan over the oven. The fumes were still to stong for my wife.

Having it just outside the garage door eliminates that problem.

To help alleviate that issue, I installed a large bathroom vent fan in the temporary crawl hole cover next to the exhaust pipe for my vent hood.

Loudy13
01-12-2017, 05:49 PM
I started baking in the house about a month ago, first had to have the wife give me the green light and she did. Just to be sure I have been limiting the amount of time I actually am next to the oven. I prepare 3-4 trays while the oven warms up then slap 2 in and do stuff in another room while still keeping an eye on the oven. I put the second set of trays in after that and shut it down after that. I get about 400 done this way and don't have the oven running forever.

RP
01-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Well a lot of women never used the oven so maybe its not such a bad thing :kidding:

finstr
01-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Why not put a small piece of plywood over the stove top burners, set your PC convection oven on that and crank the vent hood to high...surely that would eliminate odors...

I did this exactly. Works like a charm and the wife couldn't smell a thing. Otis, the love bird didn't end up on his back on the floor of his cage either! :redneck:

Wreck-n-Crew
01-22-2017, 10:35 PM
I started baking in the house about a month ago, first had to have the wife give me the green light and she did. Just to be sure I have been limiting the amount of time I actually am next to the oven. I prepare 3-4 trays while the oven warms up then slap 2 in and do stuff in another room while still keeping an eye on the oven. I put the second set of trays in after that and shut it down after that. I get about 400 done this way and don't have the oven running forever. Are yo referring to a toaster oven?