PDA

View Full Version : Just watched a great WWII movie

Thumbcocker
01-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Amazon video has the Russian film "Battle of Sevastopol" . It focuses on the female Ukrainian sniper with 309 confirmed kills. She toured the West and spent time with Eleanor Roosevelt and Woody Guthrie wrote a song about her. Very gritty action scenes and a good overview on the costs of being a hero. PTSD and politics are covered. For a good film about the other side of the Crimea front check out "Cross of Iron" directed by Sam Peckinpa. Based on the memoirs of a German soldier.

A lot of folks in the west never get to hear about the fighting in the Crimea in WWIi. A little reading and you will understand why the Russians wanted it back.

dannyd
01-06-2017, 10:22 PM
if you can get YouTube. Look up Soviet Storm great series on the war in the east. 18 Episodes

Omega
01-06-2017, 10:32 PM
if you can get YouTube. Look up Soviet Storm great series on the war in the east. 18 EpisodesI'll have to take a look. Its available here too: http://documentary-movie.com/soviet-storm-ww2-in-the-east/

DougGuy
01-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Another really good one is Defiance. It chronicles 3 brothers that sheltered over 1200 jews in the forests of Poland for the duration of the war, constantly moving, hiding, fighting behind the lines, attacking German positions, and eventually emigrating to America and starting families and businesses in NY.

One of the guys I worked with locally a few years ago had the same last name, and is a descendant of one of the brothers. He was unaware of the story of his relatives until I told him about it. We were both surprised..

kingstrider
01-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Awesome, I'll have to check it out. Another good one is Generation War, it is about 5 young German friends and how WWII affected them. The movie is in subtitles but it was very interesting.

Thumbcocker
01-07-2017, 01:43 PM
+1 on Generation War. I am glad that I finally have access to the Soviet side of the war. We did not get much of their story in school in the 60"s and 70"s. You don't have to be a supporter of a system to appreciate what brave people did.

starnbar
01-07-2017, 02:03 PM
I grew up with a Polish friend his mother was in the resistance during the war she lost all of her brothers before the wars end she all ways told us as children to fight tyranny and it was better to die free than to live as a subject.

Multigunner
01-07-2017, 02:57 PM
I ran across a trailer for a Korean film that looks interesting. I don't know how far they stray from the facts but its based on an epic covert operation preceeding the landing at Inchon. The operation was called "Trudy Jackson".
A USN lieutenant along with ROK special forces operatives infiltrated the Inchon harbor and contacted local anti communist insurgents.
Besides gathering vital information on tides ,obstructions and harbor defenses they managed to equip a small fleet of fishing boats with machine guns and destroyed all the North Korean gunboats, capturing a strategic island and destroying or damaging coastal defenses.

The Movie is named "Operation Chromite".

BrassMagnet
01-07-2017, 10:47 PM
As a teenager, I knew a man who worked for the French Resistance. His name was Charles and he was Swiss. Charles was fluent in four languages. Charles helped sneak our downed airmen out of occupied France.
Charles was almost caught when he met a downed airman in a dining facility. He saw the airman was observing proper table manners and Charles knew the gig was up. Charles locked himself in the restroom and opened the window. He heard yelling and commotion inside the dining facility. As he went out the window head first, the door was kicked open and he was grabbed by the ankle. Charles kicked back and managed to break the grip on his ankle. As he ran down the alley he was shot at. Thankfully, they missed and he was able to run around a corner.
In those days, you had to have a sponsor to immigrate to the US. The US Gov't sponsored Charles for his help returning our downed airmen to us.

Hardcast416taylor
01-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Back in the 1960`s at a job I worked at I got to know several vets of WW 2. The first was in England before the invasion and he met several Russian female snipers that had amazing credited kill records. The other fellow was a machinest that everybody called `Fritz`. He had a heavy German accent. He also had some horrible burn scars that he never talked about. Later a closer friend of his let it slip that `Fritz` was 1 of the few that got off the Bismark as it was sinking. The scars were from burning oil when in the water before being picked up

shooter93
01-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Is it available without sub titles? I tried it last night on Amazon on my TV and all it had was sub titles.

perotter
01-08-2017, 08:40 PM
A couple of months ago I watch one with the title 'Purple Sunset'. It's set in the last week of WW2 in Manchuria. About a Russian officer, a Chinese citizen and a Japanese girl lost in forest and trying to get out when only the untrusted Japanese girl has any idea about where they are. It's all sub titled.

I haven't seen 'Battle of Sevastopol' and will try to do so next weekend, but have seen the rest of these. IMO, everyone of them are worth watching.

Teddy (punchie)
01-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Well thanks for posting very good movie ' Battle Of Sevastopol '