PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous!

Tom W.
06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
On my way back from my surgeon's visit I stopped at one of the tire stores in search of wheel weights. The last time I stopped there I got a 5 gallon bucket , a 2 gallon bucket and a good sized cardboard box full of weights, most of them truck weights, all for $20. Today the man wanted $40 for a 5 gallon bucket full. Needless to say they stayed with him.

The next shop I went to gave me a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket for free!

I'll remember that when I need new tires on my SUV......

yondering
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Only one tire shop around here will let you have wheel weights at all, they want $25 for a 2 gallon bucket full. The other shops here won't let you have any at all, for various reasons.

miestro_jerry
06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
The local tire shops near me all have "friends" so the wheel weight market is closed around me.

Jerry

Sprue
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Outrageous!
On my way back from my surgeon's visit I stopped at one of the tire stores in search of wheel weights. The last time I stopped there I got a 5 gallon bucket , a 2 gallon bucket and a good sized cardboard box full of weights, most of them truck weights, all for $20. Today the man wanted $40 for a 5 gallon bucket full. Needless to say they stayed with him.

The next shop I went to gave me a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket for free!

I'll remember that when I need new tires on my SUV......Yep, I know where you're coming from.

I don't like what I see in my crystal ball........

JDL
06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Last week I had $600 worth of tires put on the car and ask my wife to see if she could wrangle some wheelweights from him. His reply was that he recycled the weights. I should have asked before I had him put the tires on!
JDL

targetshootr
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
The last time I stopped there I got a 5 gallon bucket , a 2 gallon bucket and a good sized cardboard box full of weights, most of them truck weights, all for $20. Today the man wanted $40 for a 5 gallon bucket full. Needless to say they stayed with him.

But your average would only be $30 per trip which ain't bad for that many ww.

:castmine:

38 Super Auto
06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
All the tireshops around here either have their WW promised or they are recycling. One shop told me the guy that sells them new WW picks up the used ones. I don't know if he's on the level.

Fish_N_Russ
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
$40 for a full 5 gal bucket is pretty darn good. I would have got that......probably over 200lbs and hard to pick up :)

Cloudpeak
06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
I weighed a 5 gal. bucket of wheel weights that was almost full. 140 lbs. I had 36 lbs. of clips and stick ons out of the batch.

I've been getting WW from a tire store in another town for several years but never bought tires there. I tried a store locally to check tire prices and asked about getting some WW's. They said their employees shot and used them. No chance for me to get WW's there. So, I bought $700.00 worth of tires from the guy in the other town.

I guess if I was running the local tire business I would have said, "Yeah, even though some of our guys use them, I'll fix you up with some weights," just to make a sale.

Cloudpeak

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Like you i cringe on spending money on wws but there getting tough to find for me anymore and id have to admitt that i would have bucked up and paid for them.

mtnman31
06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
I have yet to pay for wheel weights. I am not a high volume shooter and right now don't have space for a large stock pile anyway. I have a few hundred pounds, mostly clip on's.
Anyway, I ride my bicycle to work a couple times a week, ten miles each way (only up-hill in one direction:-D). When I am riding I typically find and pick up an average of 3/4pound in weights off the side of the road each week. I usually only stop for the larger sizes and leave the little guys. No, it isn't much but it feels good because its free. I guess I am also doing my part to help keep the streets cleaner by picking up those dreadful little LEAD weights that contaminate the environment:twisted:.

Tom W.
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Lloyd, it wouldn't have bothered me too bad except that I've been out of work since Mother's day and need to squeeze every dollar. However, I get to go back to work 14 July, so things are looking up!

osage
06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Last week I dropped off a tractor tire for repair and asked about WW. Owner of the station is getting 25cents/lb at the scrape yard. The bucket came in at 157lbs. I was happy to get it for 25cents/lb. I have scrap metal to take in next week and I'll see what the WW cost at the yard.

eka
06-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Going rate around here is 50 cents a pound.

Keith

JIMinPHX
06-26-2008, 01:55 AM
My last run in was a month or two ago. The thief wanted $50 for less than 1/2 bucket. I declined that "offer" pretty flatly. He shot me that price while my wife's car was already on the lift getting new tires. That ain't gunna happen again, not at that shop.