PDA

View Full Version : New .50 Cal Paper Patch bullet to try

54bore
01-05-2017, 10:12 PM

.492 550 Grain PP Bullets, I recently picked these up at Buffalo Arms to try in my 'Hotrod Renegade', .50 Cal Green Mountain LRH 1:28 twist barrel. I did the Double wrap of 9# onion skin paper and ran them through my .498 sizing die, gives just a bit of pinch on the paper, i wrap my paper a tiny bit high in the Ogive of the bullet so it 'Shucks' the paper IMMEDIATELY upon exiting the barrel.
Cmon weather! I wanna shoot these things!! The QC on these bullets are second to none! I weighed all 50 and they are all within 1/2 grain of each other.

Good Cheer
01-05-2017, 11:08 PM
That's nice looking patching.

johnson1942
01-06-2017, 12:22 AM
those bullets will take the eye out of a snake at 100 yards in your gun. make sure you use a good over the powder wad. i would use a 60 thousands thick fiber or poly wad.

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:54 AM
those bullets will take the eye out of a snake at 100 yards in your gun. make sure you use a good over the powder wad. i would use a 60 thousands thick fiber or poly wad.

J42, I am gonna get both Poly and fiber wad material in bulk from Buffalo arms tomorrow. I will get it in 60 thousandths. I bought a nice hole punch set awhile back specifically for making my own over powder wads. We have to much snow to get anywhere right now, i could probably squeeze in 70-80 yards safely out at my folks place, i could use the tractor and push me a path through the snow to the hillside, living in snow country you have to get creative if you wanna shoot in the winter!! I don't dare try and get off road here now, i would be buried to my doors and stuck in a hurry! My little toyota 4wd gets around good, but this is beyond that now

01-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Those look super. I'm eager to hear how they work.

Harleysboss
01-06-2017, 01:36 AM
You could mail me a bunch and I can shoot them for ya:) Those may work well in my white bison. It has a 1-24" twist. Of course I could run them through my "HotRod Deerstalker". Either way at least they would get shot and not just sitting there on your work bench:)

54bore
01-06-2017, 01:55 AM
You could mail me a bunch and I can shoot them for ya:) Those may work well in my white bison. It has a 1-24" twist. Of course I could run them through my "HotRod Deerstalker". Either way at least they would get shot and not just sitting there on your work bench:)

LOL! I will definitely get around to shooting them! Just not sure when with all this snow and cold, its been getting down below zero the last few days, im ready for spring already! I bet these big guys would shoot really good in the twists you mention. These PP bullets from Buffalo are REALLY good looking bullets for sure, and like i said earlier the QC is AWESOME, they weigh right on with eachother! For the price Ron and i figured it would be hard to buy the mold, lead, count your time, QC, etc. and beat buying them already done up. They come tightly packaged in styrofoam individually divided top and bottom halves so they wont get damaged, they come in a box of 50 bullets.

rancher1913
01-06-2017, 11:36 AM
you said you do the wrap to drop off right away, does that not effect the boolit's flight. I would think the slight drag might cause problems or am I over thinking things.

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:00 PM
you said you do the wrap to drop off right away, does that not effect the boolit's flight. I would think the slight drag might cause problems or am I over thinking things.

Once the bullet exits the bore the paper has done its job, i want it to 'Shuck' from the bullet as quickly as possible, when i pull the trigger it looks like confetti a few feet from my barrel. I dont want the paper to stay attached on its flight to the target, A paper patch is nothing more than a Paper Sabot, when you shoot a plastic sabot the bullet leaves the Sabot quickly upon exiting the barrel, same principle, just with paper instead of plastic

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Here is a top view of the bullet, as you can see i wrap my paper so that it comes up far enough on the Ogive of the bullet to leave an 'air space' this causes the paper to catch wind at the muzzle, therefore 'Shucking' the paper from the bullet immediately upon exiting the bore.

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:18 PM

In my opinion the bullets flight would/could be effected if the paper were to stay attached to the bullet during flight, whats to say part of the paper tears away from the bullet during flight, leaving a bullet 'lopsided heavy on one side' this is not proven by me, it just makes the most sense to me so i go with it. My groups prove that i am doing something right

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Here are a couple of 5 shot groups from my rifles with my Paper Patched Bullets, the target on the left is from my .45 Cal GM LRH 1:30 Twist 'Hotrod Renegade' and the target on the right is from my .50 Cal GM LRH 1:28 Twist 'Hotrod Renegade' both of these targets were shot from a bench at 85 yards, Both rifles have Lyman 57SML tang mounted peeps, with Lyman 17AHB Globe front sights with a Lee Shavers fine bead post insert

dondiego
01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
What type of paper do you use on those? They look real consistent.

johnson1942
01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
i think you will find that you do not want to lube them at all.also if now and then you have a flier it will be from paper sticking to the bullet. do this. with a sharp little knife just as you going to put the bullet down the bore slit through both layers of paper along the paper seam on the bullet about 3/4 of the way from top to bottom. they did that in the old days at long distance matches and it is a way of loading that makes sure the paper comes off. it is called the makeing the double wrap into a single wrap system. nothing new, just old tricks revisited.

54bore
01-06-2017, 12:56 PM
What type of paper do you use on those? They look real consistent.

I use 9# onion skin paper, it is thin, yet durable. You can get it from The paper mill store online. Buffalo arms also carries it but its quite a bit more expensive thru them than the Paper mill store online.
Idahoron taught me this method, i followed his advise and it works like a dream!
With these Buffalo Arms Paper Patch bullets i dont think sizing is necessary, i just do it to 'tighten the paper up a bit' i am not sizing the bullet itself, my sizing die for my .50 is a push thru die from Lee that mounts on my press the same as any other die, and comes with a stem that takes place of the shell holder, mine had to be ordered as a custom die since it is not a standard die they stock, Through advise from Idahoron i went with .498 on the sizing die, These Buffalo PP Bullets in .50 are .492 and weigh 550 grains, With the bullet at .492 and my sizing die at .498 the sizing die is doing VERY LITTLE, just ads a bit of pinch to the paper.

54bore
01-07-2017, 01:53 AM

Was over at Buffalo Arms today and picked up both the 'Poly' and 'Vegetable Fiber' wad making material, both in .060 thousandths. Will be interesting to try this stuff out.

Good Cheer
01-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I use pressed paper egg cartons. For some rifles that spongy stuff needs to have some loob soaked into it. For some loads it needs double wads, like for .45 molds with gas check bases shot loobed instead of patched.
1/2" gasket punch for .45.
9/16" for .50, .52 and .54.

54bore
01-08-2017, 10:56 AM
I use pressed paper egg cartons. For some rifles that spongy stuff needs to have some loob soaked into it. For some loads it needs double wads, like for .45 molds with gas check bases shot loobed instead of patched.
1/2" gasket punch for .45.
9/16" for .50, .52 and .54.

This new LDPE 'Poly' stuff i got looks nothing more than a fancy sheet of plastic, and this vegetable fiber stuff feels like stiff cardboard. We shall see. It was cheap enough, if i dont like it I'll start a fire with it!

johnson1942
01-08-2017, 12:35 PM
a good wad material thats easy to cut is the cork rubber gasket material you can buy at the auto parts store. if you want to cut wads easy and perfect get the loading press wad cutter from buffalo arms in the cal. you need. ive got 3 or 4 of them and they make wads fast and perfect. i use wads in my cowboy 38 special, 44/40 and 45 long colt as well as 45/70 and 50 cal fastwist muzzleloader. the loading press wad cutters are not cheap but they dont break the bank if you space out the buying of them. wouldnt cuts wads any other way as they make it so easy.

rfd
01-13-2017, 08:07 AM
nicely built ppb's, lewis. i also use papermill 9# onion, good stuff. i patch dry, no lube and no sizing.

i punch out wads with a cornell press mounted punch and i use .026" milk carton for wad material. it pays to experiment.

54bore
01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
rfd, i just picked these up over at Buffalo Arms yesterday, Roger mentioned these in the post above yours, i took his advise and ended up getting both the .45 and the .50, all i can say is WOW! These things cut PERFECT Wads like no ones business!!

rfd
01-13-2017, 09:35 AM
yep, the cornell press wad punch - best punch ever, got me three. :drinks:

54bore
01-13-2017, 09:45 AM
These things are nice!! I do have a problem with the .50 Stem tho, it wont fit in the shell holder part of the Ram, i called Buffalo and they told me to bring it back over and they would fix it for me, i got the last .50 they had in stock. If you look closely you can see why, it didnt get cut quite deep enough. No big deal, i just gotta run it back over, have them chuck it up in their lathe and cut the notch a bit deeper.

54bore
01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
I ran the .50 stem back over to Buffalo Arms this morning, the guy in the machine shop fixed it up for me, he said it got over looked somehow and didnt get finished. Im in the Wad making business now!